Need quick help Outdoor Speakers! AW-650's to big so Cp-6, KHO-7, AW-525?

TsunamiMike

Posted this in the wrong forum originally...

Looking to add outdoor speakers to my patio and have limited space under the eaves but am looking for great all around sound to encapsulate my patio area.

See attached picture of the back of the house. Patio measures out to 20’x20’, the eaves are about 14’ off the ground as you step up off the patio into the house there are 2 steps onto a small 8’x16’ back porch. The eaves are about 20’ along the side of the house before the “bump out” of the back portion of the house comes into play. I plan to mount them about 6 feet from each end coming inward <if that makes sense> and pointing slightly downward to the middle of the patio where the table is located.

I want to first say that NO ONE around me has any outdoor speakers on display so I cannot listen or see them in person so I am relying on everyone else to help be my eyes and ears. I already bought and have in my possession a pair of Klipsch AW-650’s and holy cow are they huge and will not work based on the size. So now I am on a hunt for a smaller more manageable sized set, see below:

-Klipsch CP-6

-Klipsch KHO-7

-Klipsch AW-525

-Am I leaving another model out that would work better?

I am running them in zone 2 off of a Yamaha V-671 receiver, RMS on that channel is 95watts so it should do pretty well. Also am wondering the wire gauge as I have to run the wire about 80’ to get to the area to mount them.

I am hoping some of you have experience with the outdoor speakers and can ghelp point me in the right direction!

Thank you in advance!

IMG_1219.JPG

Edited by TsunamiMike

Hello and welcome to the forum. Someone with more experience with the particular models will be along eventually. Is the run of 80 foot of wire going from the Yamaha through the attic? That is quite a run but 14 or maybe 12, even better, would be suitable, imo. What makes the 650 too large for your installation?

Thanks!

The run is through my media room in the basement from the Yamaha and through a wall and outside which makes the run actually around 68 feet but want to account for slack just in case. 

The aw-650's do not fit under the overhang and stick out too far, being in ohio i would have snow built up on it, lol.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TsunamiMike said:

The run is through my media room in the basement from the Yamaha and through a wall and outside which makes the run actually around 68 feet but want to account for slack just in case. 

The aw-650's do not fit under the overhang and stick out too far, being in ohio i would have snow built up on it, lol.

Alright I see! Was looking again at the picture. There is a horizontal member recessed away from the eave. If that is what am seeing, that is an alternative to the eave. Eave is desirable in some installs but, have installed outdoor speakers away from the eave somewhat.

billiebob - I think he wants to mount them under the gutters and not over the windows and door on the patio.

From personal experience: I would try the CP6's. I'm using a pair of KH-O7's in my basement workroom (unheated/uncooled) and even though my primary concern was that they for outdoor use, I thought they could have sounded a bit better. But, hey, I think the KHO-7's were their first outdoor model.

• Like 1

the wife isn't going to go for a direct mount to the siding on the house under the overhang, ill have to measure the white space under the roof and how far the roof hangs obver it...

Ideally im hoping someone has experience with the CP-6 or the KHO-7...etc...

• Like 1

I have CP-6's.  They're not my favorite.  Deep bass is nonexistent and midbass maybe even just low midrange seems to have some kind of enclosure resonance where even Jimmy Buffet sounds funny.  I EQ'ed them where they sound acceptable but even then they're just kind of flat and dry, not Klipsch'y.  Multiple engineers seem to think I'm an idiot for that assessment but personally I just don't like them and to be honest I don't know of anybody who has actually bought any outside of commercial environments where several are needed.  

Personally I'd keep those 650's but put them under the porch.  Put one on each side of the window or something.  They will last longer there anyway and personally I think it would look better, plus you won't be as limited on space.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Personally I'd keep those 650's but put them under the porch.  Put one on each side of the window or something.  They will last longer there anyway and personally I think it would look better, plus you won't be as limited on space.  

:emotion-21:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...