Record social thing and which speakers?

Day19

Hey guys,

First post here. Hello.

Looking for help deciding on some speakers for a 20' by 30' with 14' ceilings room that I'll be using for a record listening social type thing. La Scalas? or would Cornwalls be big enough? I have Heresy 3s in my bedroom and they are rad!

Mac 275 amp and C22 pre.

I'm starting a Tokyo style listening room in my studio where people can come share some vinyl with other music lovers. Its as much about great sound as it is great music and finding some new shit to listen to. Originally was going to go Focal Sopra 2s or Monitor Audio Platinums (and still might) but love the idea of an old (new) pair of Klipsch Heritages.  

I know the question has been asked a million times but any honest answers would be greatly appreciated.

I would say any of the big Heritage speakers, including Cornwalls and Chorus.  I don't see you needing to hit rock concert levels.  Cornwalls or Chorus would be my choice because they can comfortably reproduce the low E on an electric bass or double bass.  I love my La Scalas, but they are so much more satisfying with subwoofers.  You have great electronics and plenty of power. 

With Cornwalls, Belles and La Scalas, line the openings in the motorboard for the tweeter and squawker with a 3/4" strip of self-adhesive felt to absorb reflections/refractions the opening may cause.  Expect to refresh the capacitors if they are 30 years old. 

Treat the room for reflections (absorbent panels, curtains, etc).

We got to listen to the new Forte IIIs in Hope this April.  I think you'd be thrilled with the sound, but they may not have the output you would want for that room, so have a look at the Cornwall IIIs. 

Consider a matching center channel if they are along the long wall. 

Center Loudspeaker.pdf

I've heard CW's in a room about like that and they are excellent.

There are a few things which come to mind.

K-Horns are certainly the best but they can be relatively expense and need good corners and the proper room.  Which maybe you don't have.

LaScala's are more reasonably priced on the used market but don't have much bass.

Overall, the CW have good bass and are economical.  I'd suggest you put them in whatever sort of pseudo corner you have and put them up on some sort of riser by about a foot.  This is just because if you have a lot of people it is best to get the mid and tweeter in line of sight to the listeners. 

John A alluded to a center channel.  Yes, if you can get a third.  The center channel could really address the issue of listeners off to the side of the sweet spot.  Maybe you'll have to buy two pair.  That would allow a lot of experimentation.

WMcD