Khorn sealed but lacking

AHall

The room I demo'd them in the owner pulled them a foot off the walls and they rocked. Stuff clustered all over and around them. Huge sound stage and massive bass. Not lacking at all. This room was big. Very tall vaulted ceilings and maybe 35x24ish at least. Old 16ga zip cord and a real nice integrated tube setup. When I got them home they were flat. Sounded completely different on my Yamaha 1030 receiver. Sealed to walls with insulation. Added new crossovers. Also new mid drivers and tweeter to play around with. They sounded much fresher and softer, but mediocre bass extension still. Added the tube amp. Sounds great but still weak bottom. Ordered a krell kav 250p because a friend recommended they add incredible

depth and could be a great help. 

What says the khorn masters? 

Good suggestion, Wirrunna.

If it's not the phasing, it's the room. I know the speakers are a bear to move, but try locating one so that now both speakers are on the adjacent wall, just for test purposes.

That may be one clue the room's dimensions are affecting the sound.

Cathedral ceilings, lots of door openings, wall/floor construction; many factors can affect the sound and cause bass cancellation. Can you try another, different pair of speakers in the same locations and see how they perform?

Here is the room. I removed some interior walls from the house. This gave a much more modern floor plan. Still in the process of my remodel, but this give an idea what I'm working with. 

I don't have a whole lot of options with placement. 

I have that krell preamp coming, so that will be something new to try when I get back to town in a week. 

The only other receiver i have to try is my cheapo denon e300. 

Im going to try to talk the original owner into bringing his integrated amp and dedicated laptop with tidal on it over to try and recreate what we heard if the krell doesn't help. 

B853D12E-010B-4661-81AA-0EF0F008697D_zps

D6FDC700-38CC-40F7-814E-DA2A3061518C_zps

CD8CAEEE-1922-43B9-AAB6-706FFF44D5A8_zps0BBAC4B6-5C4F-4307-AE9E-214BBB9A8DD3_zps74F8D98D-A89C-4BE7-A3EF-6FF26290FCB9_zps

Is the receiver an avr? If so, that's probably the issue.I hooked up my khorns for grins and chuckles to my denon avr being driven by a Yamaha m40 120 wpc amplifier. The sound was lifeless. I hooked up a vintage stereo receiver, and it was amazing. I love my khorns.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dtr20 said:

Is the receiver an avr? If so, that's probably the issue.I hooked up my khorns for grins and chuckles to my denon avr being driven by a Yamaha m40 120 wpc amplifier. The sound was lifeless. I hooked up a vintage stereo receiver, and it was amazing. I love my khorns.

Yes it is an avr. A mid level ~$1200 unit. Very high regarded in performance and DAC. 

It sure would be wonderful if removing it from the equation fixes my issues. 

My denon avr is a mid to high end receiver. I think it's something to do with vintage speakers and the preamp of the avr. My avr setup can make my klf30s sound great with music, but nothing of real vintage. Find yourself a true stereo receiver, and you'll be happy. Good luck, they look great.

• Moderators

Looking at your pic's you should have good bass, only the closest little speaker should be blocking a little. Could a wire become loose or something else in the move ?  Or connected back out of phase ? Bass should be fine with corners like that.

Looking at where walls were, the house will be much better after the remodel, much more open, I like it. :emotion-21:

Reading the above, it is fairly clear that this is an issue of room acoustics and geometry. Please stop spending your money to change the electronics or components on the K-Horns. 

Some of us would be in a better position to advise if we had some specifics about what the problems are. If at all possible do you have a friend with a setup to use REW or some of the other acoustic measurement systems. This is not a quick measure and does require some time and effort, however it provides valuable and specific information  that would eliminate the guesswork. Without some measurements,  you will probably just get a bunch advice about "beeswax capacitors" and the "need for tube equipment" (not that you won't get that advice anyway).

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 5

How does a guy correct his room so khorns sound as they sound? I've seen the acoustic panels, but I don't want to fill the room with those ugly things. 

Cut your losses and add a smooth transitioning tight 10" sub? 

Also I don't normally run anything by the khorns. I was just playing with my new kg4s I scored for $120. And might I add they absolutely rock. And sound stage better than the khorns. I find myself double checking that the center channel isn't on over and over. They are so "3D" I absolutely love them. 

• Like 1

First move the KG-4's to a different place, they work best on stands with the horn at ear height with a proper subwoofer.

The KG-4's are blocking the bass bins and the sealed cabinets are likely sucking life out of the bass response, after this step reevaluate the sound and go from there.

Use the current sub with the KG-4's in another room as its never going to blend properly with the Klipschorns.

53 minutes ago, jason str said:

First move the KG-4's to a different place, they work best on stands with the horn at ear height with a proper subwoofer.

The KG-4's are blocking the bass bins and the sealed cabinets are likely sucking life out of the bass response, after this step reevaluate the sound and go from there.

Use the current sub with the KG-4's in another room as its never going to blend properly with the Klipschorns.

See above post. The kg4s aren't usually in there. Nor do they really need a sub. 

• Like 1