Khorn sealed but lacking

AHall

15 minutes ago, TomR said:

I understand that but what are the key ingredients? Ive been trying to figure this out since  my son got the old sony.

I know what you're saying.  Saying the same thing in reverse, what is it about the AVR that just isn't as dynamic or great sounding as tubes or old school high quality receivers?

I don't know anything about it, but I've heard people refer to "high current" amps being able to deliver dynamic sound, as opposed to high watt amps.  I've never understood that either.

I'm not certain. I wouldn't have guessed it would have made such a drastic change. Even with a poor source like YouTube, on my iPad, coming through a headphone jack, converter to rca, it is night and day. The Rega hifi CD player is even another step greater, but limited in music selection. 

I was told told the Yamaha dac was second to none along with its room correction software. But for music it definitely doesn't agree with khorns. Maybe it'd be a good match for something like b&w or monitor audio floor standers. 

AV receivers are not rated the same as stereo equipment. Stereo equipment is rated by the FTC standards which were introduced in the 70's IIRC. These standards were implemented as a result of shady manufacturers fudging their specs. FTC testing requires running the amps at 1/3 power on both channels for an hour prior to power and distortion testing. It is a stringent test. AV receivers are not tested to FTC standards and will not perform at the same performance level as a stereo amplifier. Some AV receivers offer FTC ratings for 2 channel operation, but I know of none that can output full power on all channels simultaneously.

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I always end up wondering "what if?"

If it's anything like my experience that's a big "what if".

17 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Do yourself a flavor and pickup a vintage stereo receiver. Get a receiver switch like the Niles switcher so you can switch from 5.1 to 2.0 on your khorns. I'm willing to believe you have never fully heard your khorns.

Great idea I'm completely convinced most AVR's pretty much suck at good 2 ch quality. This is not even considering the amps, my experience was just using pre outs on a AVR. Compared to almost everything else it just sounds flat, dull and lifeless, even if you think it sounds fine, until you try you don't know, I didn't.

For Ht there ok, but not 2 ch, great idea about the switcher, an easy way to have it all. I bet you would listen to 2 ch alot more.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, AHall said:

I'm not certain. I wouldn't have guessed it would have made such a drastic change. Even with a poor source like YouTube, on my iPad, coming through a headphone jack, converter to rca, it is night and day. The Rega hifi CD player is even another step greater, but limited in music selection. 

Glad you got it worked out, that's the problem, once you hear what it should sound like you definitely know when it's missing. 

15 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I know what you're saying.  Saying the same thing in reverse, what is it about the AVR that just isn't as dynamic or great sounding as tubes or old school high quality receivers?

I don't know anything about it, but I've heard people refer to "high current" amps being able to deliver dynamic sound, as opposed to high watt amps.  I've never understood that either.

This is a simple little amp switch that was recommended by @derrickdj1that I picked up for myself and it works great. Pick up something like this and a decent stereo receiver and enjoy your khorns for the first time again. http://www.ebay.com/itm/222545357193

My Onkyo TX SR707 AVR sounds good with TV, movies and the occasional YouTube video, that is, until I listen to my son's Heresys powered by his refurbished h/k 430 receiver.

By comparison, the AVR is lifeless.  I also prefer the 2-channel sound of a $5 TDA7297 chip amp or my gmarsh "Wiener" to the AVR.  Enough people preferred the sound of the h/k or chip amps to the AVR, or even to the last of my hot rodded  Dynaco tube amps, that I sold my tube gear.  

Two channel is now either using an h/k twin powered receiver or the Wiener.  AVRs have their place, but not as the heart of a 2-channel system, IMO.  YMMV

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

I have what is according to some one of the best ever avr"s. A denon avr 4311ci and it was much better than my previous lower end onkyo but when I added the Bose 1801 power amp it made a world of difference. Just cleaner, clearer sound more dynamics and louder without sounding strained at all. I highly recommend a separate amplifier even if only for your mains like I am doing. Thinking about getting getting another 2 channel or better yet a 3 channel amp for the other speakers in my system

I'm using the theatre bypass feature in the krell. So all my critical listening 2ch inputs are hooked to it. Then when it's movie time I can utilize the benefits of the Yamaha's superior room correction and features.