Khorn sealed but lacking

AHall

• Moderators
14 hours ago, TomR said:

My son is DTR20

Cool, had no idea. :emotion-21:

14 hours ago, ricktate said:

Good idea to try the st-70 since you already have it. I still say its the AVR.....A 24 watt 1970s HK430 should not trounce all over 110 watt INTEGRA  AVR.....Set the equalizer on your avr manually and I bet it will help.....

I think that's the reason a lot of times people don't like heritage line......If you can hear a pair of HERITAGE on a HK430,630,730 you will be amazed I think

I am not saying there are no other problems but I definitely agree with that..............if all else fails, I would recheck the wiring since they were taken apart to be moved. For phase, plus I have found a new to me Forte ll have no midrange on one side, wired right and screw connection tight but dead, removed the screw and cleaned what looked like a clean connection and reconnected, it then worked. Something made it not connect, even though it looked like clean metal it was not making the connection ?

When we first tried the new Cornwalls all I had to run them was a AVR and they sounded good, I thought.  A forum member sent me a HK 930, when I first connected it and turned it on I walked over to the sub amp to turn if off just to hear the Cornwalls. I completely forgot for a second this was NOT connected to the 2 channel at all, it was the HK making that much difference, I was very surprised at the difference and not just the bass everything was better. I expected it to be better but had no idea it would be this much better, a very surprising difference.

The Cornwalls are now in the bedroom but still connected to that HK 930, I love that thing. 

• Like 3

My experience...  I sealed my Klipschorns to the wall with pipe insulation.  That added noticeable low-end bass.  The most notable improvement was when I went from powering them with a Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver to powering them with two Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks and SLAM!!!  Say what you want about equipment, but 75-95 db of music with the monoblocks had much more bass!  More volume had ridiculous bass!  The monoblocks are now on my LaScalas and I'm hearing bass I'd never heard from my LaScalas without a sub.

• Like 2

My opinion when they advertise AVR's 110 watts per channel it is actually somewhere around 15 usable  watts per channel based on my ears. I would like to see someone actually test the power outputs like we did in the old glorious days to see if we got 50 usable watts out of a 500 watt amplifier.

JJK

• Like 1

Alright everyone. The krell kav 250p is hooked up. Was it a waste of $800? My wife thinks so. But DAMN I think I got my sound back! Could be the placebo effect, but I immediately noticed low-mid bass even at low volume. It just "punches" now. It doesn't need to be cranked now to really feel the music. 

I have a theory that I lost my 3D imagery and soundstage because I had no low end punch. Therefore if you're missing half the frequency, you just became 2D. 

Anywho now the sweet spot position really seems to make the speakers dissolve and be so much more enjoyable. It is easy to feel immersed in the music. Like soaking in a hottub. 

I will report back soon because I have been out of town for a week without any music at all, only talk radio. So my ear could be starved of decent sound and be causing me to be overly appreciative

of this new equipment. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AHall said:

These things bass so hard now with bass heavy music I thought my klipsch sw115 15" sub was thumping. I can't describe how pleased I am. 

I have the little respected Onkyo TX-NR717, 110 wpc.  The fewer speakers used in my 5.1 setup, the better and more dynamic the Khorns sound.

That being said the Khorns are so solid for bass work in 2.0 I would swear there were subs because it rattles the pictures right off the walls, but it needs to be played close to reference level for that kind of acoustic eneregy.

I know how people rave about tube setups but I'm committed to AVR because of the simplicity when used in the living room for mostly TV, some music, some DVD or BD movies.  Still, when I read threads like this where electronics make so much difference in sound, I always end up wondering "what if?"

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I know how people rave about tube setups but I'm committed to AVR because of the simplicity when used in the living room for mostly TV, some music, some DVD or BD movies.  Still, when I read threads like this where electronics make so much difference in sound, I always end up wondering "what if?"

Do yourself a flavor and pickup a vintage stereo receiver. Get a receiver switch like the Niles switcher so you can switch from 5.1 to 2.0 on your khorns. I'm willing to believe you have never fully heard your khorns.

• Like 1

Hi Wvu80 , see if you can borrow a 2 channel stereo from some one . It doesnt have to be tubes , im running a pioneer sx 780 that my son got me for christmas. But dont do it if your not planning on buying one because you will regret listening to it

• Like 1

wvu80 , I have the same avr as you  and we tried it on my sons belles and they sounded bad, we tried 4 or 5 different avr"s and they all sounded the same. When we tried the old sony intergrated amp the belles were awesome and if I remeber right they only had 25 watts per channel

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomR said:

wvu80 , I have the same avr as you  and we tried it on my sons belles and they sounded bad, we tried 4 or 5 different avr"s and they all sounded the same. When we tried the old sony intergrated amp the belles were awesome and if I remeber right they only had 25 watts per channel

27 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

Do yourself a flavor and pickup a vintage stereo receiver. Get a receiver switch like the Niles switcher so you can switch from 5.1 to 2.0 on your khorns. I'm willing to believe you have never fully heard your khorns.

^^this^^

I'll save you even more time and money. Get a brown paper bag and a Luxman R115 (because it cost less than the R117). Put the R115 in the bag and AB it to whatever you want to pit against it. You'll have to get the HK730 or something top shelf to match or beat the hag in the bag. I have all three mentioned and each has sounded better than any AVR that I've owned.  

1 hour ago, TomR said:

Hi Wvu80 , see if you can borrow a 2 channel stereo from some one . It doesnt have to be tubes , im running a pioneer sx 780 that my son got me for christmas. But dont do it if your not planning on buying one because you will regret listening to it

That's the problem Tom, I already agree with you.  :( 

I've heard the @mustang guy multiple La Scala setup with some great electronics and his stuff blows my Khorns out of the waters instantly, no critical listening needed.  I would say his setup is about 50% again as good sounding as mine.

I have a couple of cheap receivers but I know what you guys are referring to, and I know you're right.  My Onk 717 sounds pretty good to my ears, but I know I'm leaving some performance on the table.

So I've been listening all day and these things are so amazing. Anyone out there that is using an avr is seriously missing out. I was starting to look into other speakers to buy, but now I bet I keep these forever. They are that fantastic now. I mean I was more impressed with kg4s than these horns last week if that tells you anything. 

• Like 1

Thats awesome,but what I want to know is what's the difference.  my son say's its the pre amp, but what I want to know whats the deference between them . I thought if you put an avr in pure sound or what ever you want to call it , its how it was recorded but there must be something else

16 minutes ago, TomR said:

Thats awesome,but what I want to know is what's the difference.  my son say's its the pre amp, but what I want to know whats the deference between them . I thought if you put an avr in pure sound or what ever you want to call it , its how it was recorded but there must be something else

Key ingredients in the chain makes all the difference.

• Like 2