Towers vs bookshelfs for 10x12?

So I was considering getting RP - 280 f 's but I've been doing some research and it seems that I would be better off with bookshelves because my room is only 10x12. I plan on moving in a year or two and don't want to have to buy new speakers what is everyone's opinion on the matter? Also is 2.0 or 2.1 okay for movies?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I used RP-280Fs in a very small room before upgrading to Heresies (now they're just decorations, but still quite handsome)

I can't speak for the comparison to a big room, but my ears tell me that using them in a small room isn't ideal. Bass is there but polite, they need breathing space, especially behind the ports. They sounded like they were lacking in midrange, a criticism I infrequently heard about them from anyone else. I think a combination of the room's small dimensions limiting them in terms of placement near walls as well as the distance of the listening position. The lowest driver is still responsible for midrange, but up close it's way off axis from my ears, so that sound is going nowhere I can hear it.

I'd still say they're worth getting if you know you'll have more space for them later, they're dynamic and in a bigger room will have a lot more bass (this room is weird for bass anyway.) I still enjoyed them. On the other hand, if you don't think you'll be moving them to a spot with more breathing room down the line, bookshelfs (or RP-260/250Fs) might be a better choice.

• Like 2

Klipsch is offering the RB-81 II's at a great price. You could always pick those large bookshelf speakers up for use now and use them for rear surrounds if you expand later. They are great sounding speakers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I personally don't recommend large speakers speakers for  a small room.  A great nearfield setup can be done and sound just great.  There will be varying opinions on this topic.  Here is a good link:https://www.acousticfields.com/speaker-size-vs-room-size/

Nobody in their right mind is going to put a 6-8 foot tall speaker in a small room.

Reflections can be easily treated as they should have been in the first place.

Driver diameter does not mean much, it can easily be turned down.

I call Bullshit on just about the whole article.

As long as you can get a proper blending of all the drivers in a triangular seating position in relation to the loudspeakers i see no negatives beyond this general rule.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jason str said:

Nobody in their right mind is going to put a 6-8 foot tall speaker in a small room.

Reflections can be easily treated as they should have been in the first place.

Driver diameter does not mean much, it can easily be turned down.

I call Bullshit on just about the whole article.

As long as you can get a proper blending of all the drivers in a triangular seating position in relation to the loudspeakers i see no negatives beyond this general rule.

Call it what you want but, many others think speaker size vs room size is a consideration.  Even the RF 7's are large in a 10 X 12 room and a more appropriate choice of speaker should be a consideration.  We don't talk much about nearfield setups but, it would be outstanding in that size room.  There is always room for personal choice in this hobby.:)

Tyler, since you want the bass and I am assuming you are going to add a sub the tower or bookshelf become even more similar. The sub will take up most of the lower echelon of kick you need so that point becomes null. Since the footprint of bookshelf speakers will most likely end up on stands will be similar to a tower the point is kind of moot. Personally I would look for a pair of used Forte II's Chorus or similar. I think the Heritage series (new or used) are more bass heavy than the Reference series, also a little more balanced being they are three way full range speakers.

• Like 1

Forte and Chorus of either series is an excellent option, i have had my Chorus II's in just about every size room over the years and always outstanding performance for the size.  If you are looking for something new I'm sure the new Forte coming out soon will have similar performance.

• Like 2

Tyler, since you want the bass and I am assuming you are going to add a sub the tower or bookshelf become even more similar. The sub will take up most of the lower echelon of kick you need so that point becomes null. Since the footprint of bookshelf speakers will most likely end up on stands will be similar to a tower the point is kind of moot. Personally I would look for a pair of used Forte II's Chorus or similar. I think the Heritage series (new or used) are more bass heavy than the Reference series, also a little more balanced being they are three way full range speakers.

Yeah I wouldn't mind either of those but I'm a little pressed for space .29c201fb0f38aa0ea0edc0ab8bcc61d6.jpg6a57abca711f8946748331b29cb297dd.jpg380bf10ff0e5a846ddf2f2a731e8c22a.jpg1d46cfce179ec4a940a7b9869eeb6f01.jpg

You're not kidding, you really do not have a good area to put speakers except where the present ones are located. I would think the RP-280's would work in that space. You may have to put the sub in the hallway or something though...

When I was growing up I had a similar sized room however I never had the desk and all that. It gave me plenty of room for a pair of Infinity SM-150's and some smaller SM series speakers hung on the wall over my bed for the surround that wasn't surround yet. I'm dating myself now. I had priorities in my room. TV, Stereo, 4 head VCR, bed and one small dresser. We never had internet or anything back then so there was no need for a desk....again, dating myself.

Not sure if you have the option to do so but can you flip the tv/dresser area with the desk area, would it give you more room? Or maybe flip the bed to opposing wall where desk is, move the desk to where the tv/dresser are now, and use the longest wall for your TV/dresser/speaker set up. Sorry, hard to tell measurements or if anything is feasible from pics alone. Either way, I think you should be able to swap in the tower RP series speakers or bookshelf RB series on stands...although stands may be iffy as they would not be as sturdy.

Tim

You're not kidding, you really do not have a good area to put speakers except where the present ones are located. I would think the RP-280's would work in that space. You may have to put the sub in the hallway or something though...

When I was growing up I had a similar sized room however I never had the desk and all that. It gave me plenty of room for a pair of Infinity SM-150's and some smaller SM series speakers hung on the wall over my bed for the surround that wasn't surround yet. I'm dating myself now. I had priorities in my room. TV, Stereo, 4 head VCR, bed and one small dresser. We never had internet or anything back then so there was no need for a desk....again, dating myself.

Not sure if you have the option to do so but can you flip the tv/dresser area with the desk area, would it give you more room? Or maybe flip the bed to opposing wall where desk is, move the desk to where the tv/dresser are now, and use the longest wall for your TV/dresser/speaker set up. Sorry, hard to tell measurements or if anything is feasible from pics alone. Either way, I think you should be able to swap in the tower RP series speakers or bookshelf RB series on stands...although stands may be iffy as they would not be as sturdy.

Tim

Yeah I was thinking about that. I can't swap the tv and the desk but I was going to move the bed. The wall where my tv is now is 87 inches and the wall with the desk is 80.

• Like 1

Klipsch RF-63 would be a great choice for the space, you could add a sub when you move to a larger area.

I was wanting to go with the original rf7's but I can't afford separates so I was going to get the 280's and run them off of a receiver but I will look into the 63's. Thanks for the recommendation.

The CL ad doesn't say 'firm' in the price. Politely offer $1000 and see if he bites.

I say go with the larger size. Takes care of the upgrade urge later. You mentioned moving into a different (larger?) place in roughly a year anyway.

Yes I'm hoping to get my own place and they would go in the living room

• Like 1