New Tube amp to drive the Forte II

Big Star

I am new to the whole tube thing so learning as I go...

I picked this amp up to help me celebrate 50 years on planet earth and I must say

that it is pairing very nicely with the $400 Forte II's. I have an older Patty Griffith CD playing

and I keep looking over my shoulder to see if she is in the room. I am hearing things in better clarity

and dimension. The phono and headphone stages are really something special on this amp..

Amp02.jpg

Amp01.jpg

Amp03.jpg

Amp04.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Big Star said:

I am new to the whole tube thing so ons I go...

I picked this amp, up toadvertising celebrate 50 years on planet earth and I must say

that it is pairing very nicely with the $400 Forte II's. I have an older Patty Griffith CD playing

and I keep looking over my shoulder to see if she is in the room. I am hearing things in better clarity

and dimension. The phono and headphone stages are really something special on this amp..

Amp02.jpg

Amp01.jpg

Amp03.jpg

Amp04.jpg

What kills me is that VPI shares almost nothing with amplifiers reputation its trying to ride! The only tube Type it shares with the original 299D is the none audio related 5AR4 rectifier........by the tube compliment I'm fairly sure it employs a solid state phono section'  What a advertising Scheme....

PS not trying to rain on your parade I'm sure its a nice amp that sounds great' but the naming and advertising song and dance make my stomach turn.....

Weisfeld and Leung were very up front about using the original 299D as the basis of their product.  There's nothing wrong with using such marketing.  Better that than to copy someone else's work and claim that it is their own.  There was once a bitter discussion on here about the latter method and it was of no benefit to any of the parties involved.

Maynard

• Like 2

I agree with Maynard on this point. I don't believe they were trying to market these as the new Scott 299D.

Why would you exploit such a storied product and only make 100 amps. I see it more as a tribute to the original

design. As an aside, the build quality is outstanding on this amp. All point to point wiring.

On 6/8/2017 at 8:00 PM, mike stehr said:

At least it isn't some 150 dollar Chinese abortion...

Well that a big plus...It wouldn't shock me if its made China though....or at least 90% Chinese parts. They can make quality gear if the vendor requests it. Of course then they thieve the design and cut the vendors throat LOL!!

On 6/9/2017 at 8:19 AM, tube fanatic said:

Weisfeld and Leung were very up front about using the original 299D as the basis of their product.  There's nothing wrong with using such marketing.  Better that than to copy someone else's work and claim that it is their own.  There was once a bitter discussion on here about the latter method and it was of no benefit to any of the parties involved.

Maynard

What's wrong is its complete BULLSHIT that amplifier HAS NOTHING IN COMMON with a Scott 299D...I MEAN NOTHING

19 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

They can make quality gear if the vendor requests it. Of course then they thieve the design and cut the vendors throat LOL!!

Many of their amp are based on previous well proven designs.  Many of their amp come with quality parts and cases.  The Russians and Chinese never abandon the tube world like we did so, they are no rookies.

Power Output:
2 x 38W / EL-34 (8Ω, Ultra linear). ( KT-88 /40-Watts)
2 x 20W / EL-34 (8Ω, Triode). ( KT-88 /20-Watts)
Tube Complement: 4 x EL-34, (or KT-88), 4 x 12AU7, & 1 x 5AR4
Frequency Response: 9 Hz ~ 52 Hz (-3 dB)
THD: 1% (1kHz)
S/N Ratio: 89 dB
Input Sensitivity: 400 mV, 600 mV (Pre-in)
Input Impedance: 100-kΩ
Output Impedance: 4Ω, 8Ω
Classic Design Special-1: Headphone Output
Classic Design Special-2: Tone & Treble Control
MM Phono Total Gain: ~ 45 dB ( Upgrade )
Input impedance: 47.0-K Ohm
Power Consumption: AC-120 Volts @ 280 Watts
Weight: 68 lbs.
Dimensions (WDH): 16" x 15" x 7"

Love the typo of 9-52 hertz.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 0:19 PM, tube fanatic said:

Maynard

I completely agree in that it is a tip of the hat marketing tactic of which I have no problem with. You are not going to build a Corvette these days the same as you did in the fifties right?  But it's still called a Corvette.  

On the other hand there are too many copy cat clone builders out there that recycle old circuits or worse, steal them from competitors. The former I see it all the time, same Fender amp circuits called something different without a mention of their lineage, same old Dynaco circuits but in a different box. Boring and unoriginal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mike stehr said:

Classic Design Special-1: Headphone Output
Classic Design Special-2: Tone & Treble Control

Love the typo of 9-52 hertz.

Smells awful Chinese to me....I take it the head phone is derived from the secondary of the output transformer and it has tone controls so that makes it 299D inspired...what a crock of shit!

• Like 2

On 6/8/2017 at 11:24 AM, NOSValves said:

What kills me is that VPI shares almost nothing with amplifiers reputation its trying to ride! The only tube Type it shares with the original 299D is the none audio related 5AR4 rectifier........by the tube compliment I'm fairly sure it employs a solid state phono section'  What a advertising Scheme....

PS not trying to rain on your parade I'm sure its a nice amp that sounds great' but the naming and advertising song and dance make my stomach turn.....

5 hours ago, NOSValves said:

Yeah well it seems moral fiber is a thing of the past too! The days we live in...

5 hours ago, NOSValves said:

Smells awful Chinese to me....I take it the head phone is derived from the secondary of the output transformer and it has tone controls so that makes it 299D inspired...what a crock of shit!

Bashing a competitor's product, about which you know absolutely nothing, is very distasteful at best.  I can't imagine it is elevating your status in the minds of prospective customers.

Weisfeld and Leung have clearly stated that the chassis and faceplate are made in China and that it contains parts from various Asian countries (it has been a long time since the COO of the "American" parts which I constantly purchase is USA).  The amps are built here in NJ, not in China.  

That said, the OP is thrilled with his purchase which is all that matters.  I don't see the point of debating anything else as it is not relevant.  And, for all we know, in a side by side comparison with a restored "real" 299D, the VPI may sound much better.

Maynard

• Like 1