New Tube amp to drive the Forte II

Big Star

Hey Big Star, what is that turntable in the photo with your amp?  

The part of it that can be seen in the photo looks exactly like my Thorens TD 125 MKII, which, coincidentally, I use with my Scott 299D.

BTW, congrats on the new amp.

Ive owned the VPI 299D and enjoyed it thoroughly. Inspired by for me didnt mean copied. Its a great amp should provide a lifetime of use. 

Ive encouraged Mat to build amps... he has declined such invitations and stuck to continuing VPIs core missions. VAS too has an outstanding reputation,I do hope they continue to sell more of these. 

I will say that I LOVE VPI Tables.. .owned alot of them.... still on the lookout for a NOS Scout II. 

Mat is beyond a stand up guy... this was not a deception... may not be everyone's taste but not misleading at all IMHO.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, justinsweber said:

Ive owned the VPI 299D and enjoyed it thoroughly. Inspired by for me didnt mean copied. Its a great amp should provide a lifetime of use. 

Ive encouraged Mat to build amps... he has declined such invitations and stuck to continuing VPIs core missions. VAS too has an outstanding reputation,I do hope they continue to sell more of these. 

I will say that I LOVE VPI Tables.. .owned alot of them.... still on the lookout for a NOS Scout II. 

Mat is beyond a stand up guy... this was not a deception... may not be everyone's taste but not misleading at all IMHO.

Justin, your attitude is totally refreshing!  You are not threatened by a competitor's limited edition product and have actually encouraged him to come out with more!  And, you don't find it necessary to bash a competitor's product as a means of trying to elevate your own status.  You are a true gentleman, and I'm sure your customers greatly appreciate dealing with someone like yourself.

Maynard

• Like 2

Maynard. Thank you for the kind words. Mat is a friend first. He has been kind to me when there was no benefit to himself and has been a mentor. VPI builds great gear. If I can't fit the customers need, maybe he can. If you speak with vendors at shows you can see competition but you can also see mutual respect. High end audio is a tough biz for many reasons... tearing each other down helps no one. 

• Like 3

On 6/26/2017 at 8:19 AM, tube fanatic said:

Justin, your attitude is totally refreshing!  You are not threatened by a competitor's limited edition product and have actually encouraged him to come out with more!  And, you don't find it necessary to bash a competitor's product as a means of trying to elevate your own status.  You are a true gentleman, and I'm sure your customers greatly appreciate dealing with someone like yourself.

Maynard

Who's threatened?

Who's "bashing"?

All that was pointed out was that it had absolutely nothing in common with a 299D - they should have called it something else. To call it a "299D" is clearly an attempt to link it to Scott lineage - which is deliberately misleading. 

Craig never "bashed" the amp, and in fact admitted that it probably sounds quite good. The only thing brought into question was the marketing angle. 

To infer that Craig would be "threatened" by this amplifier's existence is laughable - as if it's going to somehow make a dent in his exemplary business. Seriously?

• Like 1

On 6/24/2017 at 10:54 PM, richieb said:

-- aand the horse has yet to be beaten to death. Someone, anyone please send me your address I'll send the appropriate club.

Please, for the love of Gawd, kill it. Hasn't he (we) suffered enough ?

Truer words were never stated!  I paid Justin a compliment, and anyone who has read his posts on here or had personal dealings with him knows that what I said about him is well deserved.  If anyone reads more into it they need help (perhaps one of our resident psychologists can be of assistance).

What's pitiful is that the OPs thread was turned by others into a ludicrous discussion which, in my opinion, seemed to be intended to dilute his enjoyment of his purchase, focus attention on someone else, and served no purpose whatsoever.  All this over a production run of 100 units of which 85% have been sold to very pleased customers.  

Maynard 

Amy allowed promotion, but not solicitation. It's simply not possible to give advice or answer questions without "promoting" our work - solicitation or "selling" was never permitted. 

So, Craig and me are the only two that understand the intent of a company when they label their product with the model number of another company's product? Okay, well then ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On June 25, 2017 at 1:18 AM, Seadog said:

Hey Big Star, what is that turntable in the photo with your amp?  

The part of it that can be seen in the photo looks exactly like my Thorens TD 125 MKII, which, coincidentally, I use with my Scott 299D.

BTW, congrats on the new amp.

You are correct sir. It's a stock TD 125 mk II. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...