Peavey CS-800 Died- Now What?

Hey Guys,

For a year or so, I've had an old Peavey CS-800 driving my Yamaha sub with an Eminence Kilomax 18" woofer in it.  Until recently, all has been well.  It's driven it in bridge mode with no issues.  However, about a week ago, it made a short pop/buzz sound for just a second, then went away.  It sounded to me like when you disconnect a cable with your amp on, so I shut it down and cleaned the connections, thinking maybe a cable was loose.  When I started it back up the next day, all was well, and continued to be for the next week.

Now today all was again well, I was watching a youtube video and paused it to use the bathroom.  When I resumed, I realised I had no bass.  I look over and the power light is out, but the fan is still on.  Turned the amp off and back on, and still the same.  Relay doesn't click, just the fan.

Is this thing dead?  I'm not super tech savvy, so short of checking fuses, etc I'm not really sure how to proceed.  I know this amp's ancient, and not really worth much at all, so paying a shop to work on it wouldn't really be worth it.

This is the second amp to die on me this year.  Lost a Crest V450 earlier on the same sub and that was 10 years newer.  Guess these old amps are getting long in the tooth and just don't have the oomph anymore.  The sub is wired correctly, so shorts or anything like that.  I just like my bass and I guess these old amps can't deliver.

What would you recommend?  Also, what do I do with these old amps?  Throw them out?  Anyone want them?  I'm getting ready to move in a few weeks and don't really want to drag more stuff around than I absolutely have to.

-Jon

Peavey amps are easy to repair. Some of the musicians who use those amps repair them themselves. Usually the output transistors IIRC.

The local Peavey dealer should be able to handle repairs or send you to a repair facility. Just about any competent electronic technician should be able to fix this problem.

Thanks again for the reply.  Looks like this is gonna be a little out of my league.  Think I'll put it back together, and I'll have to decide whether to get it repaired or get a newer amp.  With the age of the caps and everything else, I'm kinda leaning towards the newer amp route.  We'll have to see.  Bad timing as I really don't have the money right now.  Got laid off a couple weeks ago.  Wish I could have fixed it myself to save money, but I'm better off leaving it alone.