What to do about delivery of mismatched speakers: RP-260 and RP-280

wrcowboy

One week ago, I ordered two RP-260 floor standing speakers from Amazon.com. The items were part of the general sale by several online stores, including this one, for a discounted price of $399. Amazon.com acquired the speakers from another source and had them shipped to me by FedEx. They just arrived. One was upright, the other was lying down. 

It was not until moving some stuff in the garage to get them out of the sun and setting one upright that I discovered they sent a mixed pair - one RP-260 and one RP 280. Looking at Amazon's policy, they would want me to ship the wrong item, the RP280 back to them. The problem is that I have a small car. It would be a significant hassle, given its size and weight, to load it into it with its seats down and take it to UPS.  

I am an honest person. Last month, I returned money to a clerk at a grocery clerk who gave me a $20 back in change by accident instead of a $1.  If I were to pay the difference to Amazon and keep the RP280, would the mismatch in the size and characteristics cause a significant problem in listening? Yes, I do own a subwoofer, a 10 year old Onkyo from a HTIB. One day that too will get replaced.

An answer soon would be helpful as I need to contact Amazon about the issue. 

Edited by wrcowboy

You want a matched pair, the soundfield wouldn't be right with 2 different speakers. I would call Amazon and explain the problem. Ask for a ups shipping label for the rma and you can have UPS pick up the wrong speaker.

• Like 2

Hello and welcome to the forum. Wow, what a mixup. Probably be best to contact Amazon first, who would contact the seller/shipper about the situation, which is their mistake. Guess you could keep it but, wrong item sent. Wonder if they could have UPS or FedEx come back on their penny and pickup the wrong speaker. Have dealt with them before and found them reasonable. It will be interesting how they handle things for you. Good fortune and let us know how they act. Can see the seller being totally responsive, in a perfect world, where you were sent wrong item by THEIR mistake.

• Like 1

IMO keeping the unordered RP-280 would be a serious mistake.  In my experience, Amazon is generally easy to deal with. Try calling:

Customer Service: 866-216-1072 or 800-201-7575

Ask them to send the missing RP-260 and request an RGA (Returned Goods Authorization) for the RP-280.  UPS could collect the RGA return when the correct one is delivered.

Good luck and welcome.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your feedback. Amazon was contacted through the 866-216-1072 number; the other number 800-201-7575 has been discontinued and it referred me to the website.

I spoke with a wonderful lady named Adrienne. She had a mailing label prepped and sent to UPS; I don't have a printer. She ordered the replacement RP-260 which will arrive on Thursday the 15th. She notified UPS to come pick up the RP-280. They will make three attempts - Saturday, Monday, Tuesday. 

If the 3rd party that sent the wrong item to Amazon will come through with the correct item, all will be great. 

Again, thank you all for your help. I wasn't sure what to do given the size and the different specs of the speakers. 

• Like 2

Sounds like they may have it sorted for you. Come back later if you want and tell us your story about why Klipsch and your listening impressions, and other audio stuff. As you can see here, a lot of talk about all things Klipsch!