Class D Crown vs. Hypex nCore

richieb

I'm not real big on the this vs. that thread but I do know there are many members who own and follow Class D power amps.

I've been listening to my gain clone chip amp for several days with the Jubilees. Fifty watt integrated from Peter Daniel who builds the Audio Zone gear similar to the original 47Labs amps. Sounds better than I remember and might even give the First Watt F3 a run but I digress.

So I have the opportunity to buy either Crown XLS 2000 drive core Class D monoblocks OR a single dual mono Hypex built nCore with two nCore 400 amplifier modules and two SMP power supplies, one per module. Same price for Crowns or nCore. Research tells me the nCore is the newest and best D Class yet, hands down. Tells me Crowns have a high noise floor and are best left for pro gigs and PA use. But that's what is said about Klipsch Cinema and LaScalla. Of course I do not need anywhere near this power but Good D Class can be pretty amazing with its dead black background and great first watts. I'm leaning heavily for the nCore. 

I plan on using a pair of bridged XLS1500's on the bass bins of my Jubilees but won't be able try it for about 10 days. Am going to try both SS and tubes on the 402. I know that does not help now but I will follow up on what I learn as I am just starting this journey. I have several configurations to try.

I use 1500's in my PA systems and they do sound good. I have compared them with Peavey, Behringer, QSC, and Pyle - the Crown's are, to me, better with vocals if not the whole range.

I know that I had a Crown XTI which may have similar amplifier typography and it sounded bad compared to my IcePowered amps, the Murano Audio or Bel Canto.  I believe the NCores are in the same class as the IcePower amps.  If you are not going to use it for mid/treble, the Crown may be good but I myself would not use the Crowns full range.  

Just my experience....  The NCore or IcePower amps are in another class altogether.

• Like 1

I have a Crown Drive Core XLS 2502.  I never tried it full range.  I only use for Sub duty driving 684s at 4 ohms.  Amp has nice flexibility, some DSP filtering, and seems to have decent power.  Looks cool.

Never heard a Hypex.

14 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I have a Crown Drive Core XLS 2502.  I never tried it full range.  I only use for Sub duty driving 684s at 4 ohms.  Amp has nice flexibility, some DSP filtering, and seems to have decent power.  Looks cool.

Never heard a Hypex.

The XLS has gobs of power which is good for sub duty.  There's a reason the NCore and IcePower demand their prices compared to the pro amps.  There are some pro amps that look interesting though not having infinite resources, I haven't bought enough to know their sound.  In earlier days I may have tried.   :rolleyes:

My experience in the past has been the pro amps do not produce the same low level micro detail as the home audio equipment.  I use a few pro amps but just for bass cabinet and sub duty.  However, in this case I have not tried the Crown drive core in a full range situation.  My QSC 1104 and 1804 couldn't cut it full range for my taste but are marvelous on bass cabinets and subs.  Still use them today for those applications.  The Crown Drive Core has some handy DSP I require for my particular sub application.  It seems to work well for that.

I have the XLS 2000 running my LR bass bins. It has done that wonderfully, but with my multi amp timed aligned setup I have not tried it full range.

I do have all Crown amps in the system though and have been very happy with the results.

On 6/15/2017 at 9:52 AM, tromprof said:

I have the XLS 2000 running my LR bass bins. It has done that wonderfully, but with my multi amp timed aligned setup I have not tried it full range.

I do have all Crown amps in the system though and have been very happy with the results.

Do you have Class D Crowns on the higher frequencies?

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Do you have Class D Crowns on the higher frequencies?

No, I am using Crown D75A and D60 on the mid/high frequency.

I do use class D, B+O Ice Power, on my Klipschorns though and it sounds glorious. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tromprof said:

No, I am using Crown D75A and D60 on the mid/high frequency.

I do use class D, B+O Ice Power, on my Klipschorns though and it sounds glorious. 

Yes, I've become an IcePower fanatic, from Bel Canto REF-1000s all the way down to Pioneer SC-1222k IcePower derivatives.  Excellent sound at all their price classes.

• Like 2

I went ahead and bought the nCore, Hypex built dual mono amp. I'll soon see how it stacks up with some of my best - FW F3, George Wright 2a3 and Dennis Had Inspire. This is not monoblocks like Claude raved on but similar in that each nCore module has its own power supply, all in one chassis. I have seen several DIY type builds where each module shares one power supply. I like the one to one better and that is actually built by Hypex is that much the better. Might be interesting --

• Like 1

• 1 month later...