Class D Crown vs. Hypex nCore

richieb

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes, this is what I was looking for.  They are all actually quite close.  The specs are so good I probably couldn't tell one from another...........other than when you get into those input buffers that are configurable.  Did you look at those?  Just a few caps and an Op amp.............and thousands more $$$.

It sounds like your friend might have figured out how to modify the stock ones on the 502...........and get to the same place for a great price.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:59 AM, wdecho said:

I have many of both, SS and tube pres. You must adhere to cutting power amplifier off first and then preamplifier and the reverse on startup. Tube pre first and let completely warm up and then power amplifier. 

This simple routine should become second nature for all.

I've been thinking of picking up one of the 4 channel Nord amps.....I've been dragging my feet on building my own Class D amp - I think I'd rather just buy one at this point. However, I'm still planning to roll my own active crossover. There still doesn't seem to be an audiophile solution in the market.

What's the crossover all you Jubilee guys have settled on? Is it the Xilica?

On 2/16/2018 at 6:27 AM, jwc said:

Isn't that what this is? 

http://www.deqx.com/

Well that's definitely marketed as audiophile, complete with large price tag.....but some of the specs lead me to believe it's not as "audiophile" as I think would be necessary to convert some of these tube/analog guys over to an active xover setup. I really like the Yamaha SP2060, but it doesn't quite hit that target either.

I haven't come across anything that on paper could make the tube/analog/horn fanatics happy. I'm actually not sure it's even feasible...it's one thing to create specs, but it's another to deliver on them. Now that I'm at Google, I actually have more time to spend on these things. There's a very particular sound to those strictly analog setups that I've never heard from a digital signal path. Don't get me wrong, I totally prefer the digital signal path, but I would like it more if it preserved that analogy thing that is so hard to quantify. During my time at Shure I came to realize that a lot of these standard measurements don't fully capture what is actually happening in converters. We glean insights into what is happening, but the mechanisms and resultant solutions aren't obvious.

That said, the DSP horsepower in the DEQX units is amazing....I just don't think it'll convert guys like Marion to an active xover setup. That in my mind is where the need in the market resides. Bruno knocked it out of the park with the nCore amps....kinda takes the fun out of it really.

So can somebody make an attempt of rating this new amplifier technology.  Like Icepower>Ncore>Hypex>buffer>BLAH...Blah.  (I made that sound ridiculous on purpose)

I thought I remember somewhere on this forum that a statement was made that Icepower is the best.  Can't remember where.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICEPOWER-2x125W-HIFI-Amplifier-Board-ICE125ASX2-Dual-Channel-Digital-Amp-Module/182687846062?_trkparms=pageci%3A2f872ab7-172b-11e8-975b-74dbd1800fd8|parentrq%3Ab95f55991610a9cb2fec9142fff902bf|iid%3A3&_trksid=p2481888.c100656.m5063

From past reading Bruno Putzeys nCores are the latest and most "audiophile" of the bunch. But the real proof is how the actual amp builder incorporates the module in his build. Putzey was the mad scientist at Philips then went rogue with the Hypex label that also produce their lesser uCD modules. Final builders like Wyred 4 Sound, past Bel Canto models and many others use the B&O ICE modules. And they all develop their own module inputs designs for their best "house" sound. I've had the nCore monos from Acoustic Imagery and now the ICE derived mAmps monos from Wyred. If there is/was a difference these old ears couldn't hear it. But it does go well beyond just the OE module in itself. It's the builder/deigner that puts his final twist to the sound. Kinda like engine builders who all have their own take on how, where, durability to make the "best" power from the same short block.

10 minutes ago, richieb said:

If there is/was a difference these old ears couldn't hear it. But it does go well beyond just the OE module in itself. It's the builder/deigner that puts his final twist to the sound.

This helps.

Bel Canto gettin' rave reviews.  So is it Icepower?

8 minutes ago, richieb said:

Older Cantos were ICE and I think new models are nCore ?

But in all cases it will be Canto that shapes the final sound. 

The Hypex NCore500's (Nc500) are the most tweakable, since they are OEM only (unlike the DIY Nc400) and need an IC or Discrete OP Amp at the front end.

I'll be getting the Nc502MPs which are all Hypex front to back as integrated Switching Power supplies and Stereo on one PC Board (integrated unit), as opposed the Nc500(OEM) and Nc400 (DIY) which have separate Power Supply PC Boards. The guy who's building my Ncore502 MP (basically just putting it in a case with connectors). All 3 put out 25-27 Amps Maximum per channel. The reason the Nc500 is rated at 700 Watts into 4 ohms is that the Power Supply voltage is 90 Volts vs. only 70 Volts for the other two.