Class D Crown vs. Hypex nCore

richieb

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

Claude,

Did you receive that amp yet?  Any impressions?

Should be here by Wed. The guy took forever to build it with a whole list of excuses. After being a month late from the original advertised delivery date, which was a whole month to start with, but all I got was "excuse of the week." On another similar subject, Hypex itself is sold out of Nc400 kits and some of the "hockey pucks" have appeared from a Chinese source on Ebay, so I don't know if they are licensed to produce or are just doing a typical Chinese ripoff.

The 502 modules in mine are shipped from Hypex to USA OEM dealer, which is what this guy is. It's basically like an Nc400 (watts) except it's 500W/ch. using a slightly higher supply voltage. It's all on ONE printed circuit board (which I used to design), in full stereo, so it's even easier to assemble to the box with connectors. Supposedly it's a new improved case from his supplier. So I "turned up the heat" via Ebay and he got his act together and shipped it at the very last minute late Friday. Needless to say I'm not happy with his performance, but I hope I'm happy with the amp's performance when it finally gets here. I will be comparing to an Nc400 pair of monoblocs. Even with the "hurry up and wait" aspects of this amp, if it sounds as good as the Nc400's it's will still be worth it since I will have gotten the same or better permance at 1/2 price from the kits!

We shall see in a few days. I will report my impressions, good or bad, with pictures.

Yes swapped with my existing Hypex unit. Sounded great for 3 songs then quit. It’s going back for refund. Long wait with excuse of the week  for month late ship. Even then I wonder if I’d still be waiting if EBay didn’t turn on the heat to this guy, then almost DOA on arrival. They should pull that guy’s OEM STATUS. Stay away from that Ebayer. Time to order 2 more kits from Hypex direct.

I don't understand what you mean by "allow." I just turn off the Yamaha with the remote. Since the Ncores are so efficient, they are barely warm, even in the summer, so it's easier than wearing out the two on/off switches in the rear, just to keep them on.

Same thing I do with my DIY 14 channel B&O amp. In the future I will be moving my amp modules to each speaker along with a minidsp 2x4. I will then use my Insteon outdoor outlets to turn on only the Amos I want... ie 2 speakers for stereo, or 7 speakers for surround setup including my front pair.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes swapped with my existing Hypex unit. Sounded great for 3 songs then quit. It’s going back for refund. Long wait with excuse of the week  for month late ship. Even then I wonder if I’d still be waiting if EBay didn’t turn on the heat to this guy, then almost DOA on arrival. They should pull that guy’s OEM STATUS. Stay away from that Ebayer. Time to order 2 more kits from Hypex direct.

This is a disappointment.  Sorry to hear this.  I was hoping for good news.  

11 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

This is a disappointment.  Sorry to hear this.  I was hoping for good news.  

Me too of course. It’s not over. Still working with EBay delays on refund procedures. I’m guessing it will have been a 3 month ordeal tying up my cash by the time the smoke clears. This vs. getting Nc400 mono kits in less than 2 weeks from Europe (at twice the price but worth it).

Guest wdecho

Claude you mentioned buying some more TI 3255's. I just purchased one on Ebay made by the Chinese for $57 to compare with my Texas Instruments one. It will be a few weeks before I get it if you are in no hurry and I can give my impressions. From all accounts at diyaudio forum it is a nice clone of the TI board and sounds the same from those that have purchase both the TI and clone. As far as I know the discount is over for the TI board. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TPA3255-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Class-D-Audio-Amp-Assembled-Board-300W-300W-HiFi/272810431819?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

TI makes great products but their store is a mess.  Two 3255s were purchased using the 50% OFF code.  With the first one I ordered, TI charged me shipping only.  I tried to alert them but they only got more confused.  With the one my son bought, TI did not charge shipping.  I purchased two for 50% of the nominal cost of one, plus shipping for one.

4 hours ago, wdecho said:

Claude you mentioned buying some more TI 3255's. I just purchased one on Ebay made by the Chinese for $57 to compare with my Texas Instruments one. It will be a few weeks before I get it if you are in no hurry and I can give my impressions. From all accounts at diyaudio forum it is a nice clone of the TI board and sounds the same from those that have purchase both the TI and clone. As far as I know the discount is over for the TI board. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TPA3255-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Class-D-Audio-Amp-Assembled-Board-300W-300W-HiFi/272810431819?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I have two of the TI's currently. Looking for adequate power supplies as I will be using mine for a 2-way active, dual horn system in a few weeks. I may mount them in a single case, for 4 channels, since they could also serve for HT use as well. I don't believe in 7.1, since 6.1 sounds exactly the same (been there, done that, 10 years ago). I may use some older power amps' linear power supplies (Xformers with big 'lytic caps). I may also buy just the "hockey puck" Nc400 modules and couple them to old A/B amp power supplies, since I have lots of those laying around. Just got done moving to an old house with small rooms. Downsizing is a bear!!

• 7 months later...