"B" top cabinet dimensions

AHall

I have a set of molested decorator khorns that the tops were filled in unprofessionally. I want to begin building a new top bin section with factory specs. I would also like to convert the bass bin to the 60th anniversary filled back style. Does anyone have the information to help me restore these to where they belong? 1B53498E-4120-4BE2-A90E-4A93B0FED303_zps

What do you mean the tops were filled in unprofessionally?

The tops you have on your k-horns look stock other than the moulding on them.  This could be dependent on style and age.

Rip the moulding off, patch them, then add some nice veneer unless they are really beat up.  Even then they should be easy to do a nice veneer job on.

Close them after cleaning them up and be happy (unless they need to be destroyed due to gluing together) 

No, the tops are home made (notice the grill does not wrap around to the sides). 

I agree that some veneer (if the edges are crisp) could look great. Actually, adding a toe kick, and re-freshing the moulding, and some cool grill cloth could make a great looking cabinet. Not original, but personalized and affordable.

I plan to remove the "finish" work and have the original decorator underneath. The material used to cover them is barely hanging in there, so it should be easy to strip. Then I will remove the decorator top. Rebuild into a "b" top with riser. Apply factory black cloth. 

Ive done a fair amount of research on this, I was just hoping someone had some dimensions since I don't have anything to go off of. 

On 6/10/2017 at 7:22 AM, AHall said:

I plan to remove the "finish" work and have the original decorator underneath. The material used to cover them is barely hanging in there, so it should be easy to strip. Then I will remove the decorator top. Rebuild into a "b" top with riser. Apply factory black cloth. 

Ive done a fair amount of research on this, I was just hoping someone had some dimensions since I don't have anything to go off of. 

You have a PM.

Jordan

On 6/10/2017 at 8:33 AM, pzannucci said:

What do you mean the tops were filled in unprofessionally?

The tops you have on your k-horns look stock other than the moulding on them.  This could be dependent on style and age.

Rip the moulding off, patch them, then add some nice veneer unless they are really beat up.  Even then they should be easy to do a nice veneer job on.

Close them after cleaning them up and be happy (unless they need to be destroyed due to gluing together) 

The "B" style tops were VERY complicated, several slightly different heights, widths, and lengths to each of the several veneered layers or "slabs" including the collar -- it's a big job just to get the measurements right, let alone to cutting them.  I once tried to spell it out in detail, and gave up because it was made so complicated by so many different measurements.

Look at the above thread and pics, especially in the last several posts, to see how complicated it would be to replicate.  Much easier to just find another pair of B's.