Quartet, KG 4.2, and a Dynaco ST-70

I recently aquired a Dynaco ST-70 and a pair of Quartets. When I turn the volume up with the Dynaco running through the Quartets, it sounds a bit "bright" or "harsh." However you describe it, I am disappointed by it. The Quartets sound smoother at high volume with my solid state amps (Carver m1.0t, Yamaha A-1020 integrated, or self-assembled ebay JLH 15 watt class A, Toshiba SA-775 reciever). 

When I run the Dynaco through my KG 4.2s, it sounds better to my ears. It sounds warmer, more "cohesive," and less harsh. I notice this most easily with female vocals, but it seems to be there with everything. 

I am currently using an Onkyo TX-8050 as a preamp (with a Little Bear phono preamp) and wonder if a different preamp would help. I use the Onkyo as a preamp for the solid state stuff though, so I'm not sure that would help.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making my Dynaco-Quartet combo sound better? 

There might be something that can be done.  Question is what would be involved in getting there.  First thing to determine is whether your Stereo 70 is functioning properly.  Also, knowing exactly what "kind" of "Dynaco Stereo 70" you have, its age, and, again, most importantly its health, would be essential.  As you may be aware, there have been a lot of different kinds of so-called "modifications" available for the Stereo 70 over the years.  I'd say the first step is to thoroughly assess your Stereo 70.  If you can post some images, it might help.  Are you a DIYer?  Would you be able to work on the amp yourself?

Regards,

Peter