At Ease Civilian? Never...

The History Kid

I've kept my saga off of the forums for the most part because...I really hate spreading my personal affairs among people.  It's just one of those things that I tend to avoid...

When I started school, I did so with the intention and drive to get in to the military as a civilian somehow.  Applying knowledge or skills that you learn as a historian into any field is a wealthy trait, and I went into that field knowing full well the flack I'd get from people, and the generic: "you gonna teach?" responses.  It all comes down to how you market yourself, I have learned.

My dream job was working in archives or at a military museum of some sort.  Living in my part of the country offers you little, except for one of the largest armories in the country, and the only U.S. Government owned munitions facility: the Rock Island Arsenal.  In May, I took up a volunteer position there working at the museum.  This counted towards internship credits that I could apply towards my Museum Studies minor, since most of my major requirements have been fulfilled.  The museum and points north are all part of Army Sustainment Command - and one of my professors happens to be active within the ASC (not sure how high up he is, but he's up there).  

I managed to get through the USAJobs website (that was a treat), and have now been informed that I have an interview coming up with ASC.  I am aware we have some ex-military members here, and I know of at least one person here who is Army Civ (even on the same base).  Does anyone have any pointers for a government/federal interview?  I've been told in the past they are fairly intimidating and can throw you off your game really fast...

Thursday needs to hurry up and get here...

• Like 4

Good luck on the interview, that sounds like a pretty awesome job. I am a big fan of military history. I would grab a laptop and watch a few hours of some of these channels first and you will ace it. A little trick I know from an old TED talk I saw is to go into the bathroom or private area right before the interview and hold your hands over your head for 60 seconds. Its a psychological trick that will make you more confident. When you first meet the interviewer, look him dead in the eye and give him a slightly firmer handshake than he is giving. Military guys are no BS and confidence is respected, this will go a long way showing you can match their level as a 'Civy'.

Another important tip is to keep your answers concise and have impact by ending your statements rather than droning on looking for their validation in your answer. Dont be afraid to pause before each answer to think. People think its a sign of weakness to not answer right away but it will actually make you sound more deliberate and you can better think out your response.

A trick I learned that has really helped me is the "Do you have any questions for us?" question that usually comes up at the end. NEVER dont have any questions as it makes you seem distant and not genuinely interested in the organization. The best answer to this is, "Please describe your organization's culture and how do you think I will fit in here?" If you have been confident and especially had a good handshake you have already primed the answer to this and it puts a lot back on them to describe how they operate and what kind of organization they are.

One last trick is actually from Feng Shui and I use it in high level meetings all the time. If you can avoid it, when you sit at the table never, ever have your back to the door. Psychologically, it will make you insecure as someone can enter and surprise you at any time. Rather if you are facing the door, you have control over the room. If you dont have a choice just be conscious of the effects of the door and you can better overcome it.

Anyway, I hope these help. I have never had a Military interview but I have been in some pretty high pressure ones like being grilled by 6-7 Brokers in a board room for an hour.

Forgotten Weapons:

C&R Arsenal:

• Like 2

Thanks Blue.

TWK...some good advice there.  From what I've been told this will be a panel grilling me.  4 at the front (or back) of the room, and one of me.  I am of the assumption that one of these people will be my professor - actually.  If that's the case, what I've thought about is using that to my advantage.  Classroom environments (the interview is at a University - coupled with the fact I know this man as my instructor, not as a hiring agent) suit me well, I'm comfortable in them.  That may ease some of the tension too.  What I'm trying to do is attempt to think a few steps ahead of them - since I've been told they will purposefully try to throw you off your game.

I was wondering about the simplicity of response, which you covered.  The K.I.S.S. method seems to be what I need to apply here, differing from interviews I've had before.

• Like 1

My best friend grew up wanting to be a Civil War (U.S.) historian. After a detour to SE Asia, He finished school, got a job at a C.W. site in Georgia, moved to Texas for a while, back to Georgia. Became director of museum at Ft. Stewart, GA. Moved to the Edison Historical site in New Jersey,  the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, Carlisle, PA, finished up in D.C.

Along the way he published some books on the Civill War. He's now officially retired. Other than being in the Army during the Viet Nam era, he was a civilian employee.

If you would like, would you like to get in touch with him?

Bruce

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

My best friend grew up wanting to be a Civil War (U.S.) historian. After a detour to SE Asia, He finished school, got a job at a C.W. site in Georgia, moved to Texas for a while, back to Georgia. Became director of museum at Ft. Stewart, GA. Moved to the Edison Historical site in New Jersey,  the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, Carlisle, PA, finished up in D.C.

Along the way he published some books on the Civill War. He's now officially retired. Other than being in the Army during the Viet Nam era, he was a civilian employee.

If you would like, would you like to get in touch with him?

Bruce

Michael,

I think this would be very beneficial. 

Good luck,

Bill

JimJimbo had it right above. Here’s what I’ve told people...”those interviewing you want you to succeed.”  Unless you’re dealing with world class jerks, these folks are going to be on your side. I once read at least 50 resumes and gave my recommendation to my boss (the hiring authority).  I was part of the interview panel. I wanted my selection to succeed and wasn’t trying to trip them up during the interview. 

Personally, i have went into interviews (me being interviewed) with a me -vs- them mindset, and i think that is the wrong attitude. Most people I know really don’t enjoy conducting interviews. 

The best person you can be is yourself. Plus, nothing worse than hiring a person and finding out that they’re nothing like they were during the interview. I’ve been told that i’m TOO honest during interviews. I’ve told recruiters that I’d rather not be hired than be hired based on lies that i told during the interview and when i report for work, i can’t do the things that i claimed.

Dress well, be respectful, be confident. 

Good luck to you my man. Let us know how it turns out.

Steve

• Like 2

So with the interview 2 days away, I've printed up the following to take with me to the interview:

• The job announcement.
  • The federal resume I submitted.
  • 5 concise relevant stories built around the job announcement tasks.
  • 5 questions that relate to them disclosing more information about the position and the role of the office within the ASC.

Any other things, besides myself and a pen I should have on me?

Good luck!
I am clueless about what 'type' interview you will endure. For us, interviewing for any type leadership / management position, the corporation uses Full Spectrum Leadership interview technique. This includes Culture of Accountability and S.T.A.R. They want at least two of these with a STAR in which you had results that failed (and what you learned from that) and one STAR that achieved successful results. My last one was 3 hours with 6 people on the panel. Yea, I got the job AND SO WILL YOU!

The HR rep who called me indicated that the interviews generally last 30 minutes, and will be with a panel of four.  The only thing right now that I'm worried about actually is that it's supposed to be in the 90s, and the lot to park in is about 2 blocks away from the building.  No one wants a smelly candidate!

2 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

The HR rep who called me indicated that the interviews generally last 30 minutes, and will be with a panel of four.  The only thing right now that I'm worried about actually is that it's supposed to be in the 90s, and the lot to park in is about 2 blocks away from the building.  No one wants a smelly candidate!

Easy; a few minutes early to hit the rest room before hand at HR with a wet wipe or two sealed in a bag or zip lock and small deodorant in pocket. and don't sweat :D

Yep get there 30 min early, cool down, lots of deep breaths
  • Like 1