At Ease Civilian? Never...

The History Kid

• 4 weeks later...

My current job, been in it for 17 years, took a year to get back to me after I applied for the position. They called me one day about a year later, I forgot I had applied for it....

Talk about the bottom of the barrel pick "LOL" I have to say I Love my job. Good lick with yours

Applied as an aircraft mechanic but had CNC programming on my resume. Hired as aircraft maintenance supervisor. About a year later the same company (that I worked for) kept leaving messages on my phone (land line voice mail in those days) to interview as CNC operator. I finally went to HR and told them that I was only available to work CNC on night shift because I had a job on days........with them.

• Like 1

I've heard stories of them taking a while to get back to people.  I'm hoping that as an intern (being that they requested a class schedule) I'll hear soon.  They've been taking about one month intervals for each stage - which coming out of a hiring freeze is pretty decent from my understanding.  I spoke with CPAC today to double check if there were any documents that they needed from me that I hadn't sent yet.  They didn't seem to be too worried - but also specified they hadn't gotten to any of the responses yet.

The posting was anywhere from GS-01 to GS-05 with an onboarding up to 07 and a maximum of 13.

Congrats my friend ... you should get some “location pay” as well, so it will be more than what is listed on the GS pay schedule. Location pay varies depending on the cost of living where you will be working. 

back in my active duties days, we had BAQ (basic allowance for Quarters) and VHA (Variable Housing Allowance)--BAQ was set by pay grade; however, VHA was determined based on the zip code of your duty station.  Having spent 16 of 20 years in Los Angeles -- I scored big time, as only San Francisco and Boston had higher VHA rates.

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Congrats my friend ... you should get some “location pay” as well, so it will be more than what is listed on the GS pay schedule.

Thanks Stew!

Yeah, I noted that in both the offer letter and checked it against the GS pay schedule for Iowa.  If all goes smoothly here, I should be moving into the family homestead house sometime near the end of the year at this pay grade.  A whole house to myself, I never thought it'd be so close.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Thanks Stew!

Yeah, I noted that in both the offer letter and checked it against the GS pay schedule for Iowa.  If all goes smoothly here, I should be moving into the family homestead house sometime near the end of the year at this pay grade.  A whole house to myself, I never thought it'd be so close.

i would imagine that you can find the location pay rate for Iowa on the internet...it’s no secret. i think it is determined by city or maybe they use zip code like the military.

at one time I was GS
Look at time between Grades (3-4-5-6) and max for that job code and max at that location (might be hard to find but when offered a job it would be prudent to ask). Steps are just a matter of time in government jobs if you are alive...