Forte ll midrange drivers

andym

Hello,

Just signed up since I need advise from an expert .My tech has informed me that the magnet in my mid range driver is damaged.He thinks that the driver was probably dropped and the magnet damaged.The damaged mid plays 3db less thnt the good one.These are used speakers and probably happened to the previous owner.

Since I've had them I have done the following upgrades:

-Crites ti tweeter and midrange diaphragm.

-Crites crossovers

I would like to replace the damaged magnet with a new one but I'm having a hard time finding one that is compatible.Buying used on Ebay is my last resort but will do if it's my only option.

What can I replace the old magnets with?(I would not mind investing into 2 better magnets).What are my options? I've put quite a bit of money into these speakers and I intend on keeping them so investing a little more would not be a problem.

Thanks to all who will respond.

Edited by andym

Hey Andy, I did some work on my Cornwall 2's today.... dropped the K-61 in place of the K-57/K601. A lot of finesse woodworking, sawdust, and woodsmoke...

But the long and the short of it is the two drivers are 100% identical, with the exception of the ink stamp on the back - lol!

That is the ONLY way I would be able to tell the two apart if crossed.

Buy a used PAIR off whatever your favourite market is and put your worries to rest. If they come with the horns attached the diaphragms and drivers won't pick up any ferrous debris, or be otherwise compromised in the process. Shipping may be higher, but, meh!

I also just re-aquired a pair of Forte ii's, this time in walnut to match my "Chor-wall 2's".

Forte ii's are worth whatever effort you put into them. I have a modest 1500 square foot house, and they shine in any room. 

Welcome to a great forum!

IMG_1374.JPG

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your explanation.So, if I get one k53k I would be able to use it with my existing k53k and hear no difference?Then, why should I buy a pair?

The other question I have and that no one on any forum has answered is: Can I buy a new driver, not necessarily a Klipsch, that would work in the Forte ll?

Andy, if you have one k-53 already, grab another and you are set.

As for using a different driver, not necessarily a Klipsch, that is opening a can of worms best left closed (for now...). Impedance, SPL, and frequency response curve are going to vary from the original. Your existing crossover will not have taken those parameters into consideration during it's design.

You could do it, but now your x-overs just ain't right! 

You will be peeling one big expensive onion that will change the recipe. Maybe better, but not the same. Fun food for thought nonetheless.