Receiver and cable Advise for rp-280f!

Shaw

Hello everyone,

I am somewhat new to the home theater world so please pardon some of my ignorance. During recent sale at adorama, I bought a pair of RP-280f (mains), RP-450c (center). I also bought RP-160m as part of that bundle but they are too big for rear speakers so I am planning to sell those and get the rp series surround speakers at a later date (maybe next year).

i (will be) using the speakers 60-70% of the time for music. Considering that, what receiver do you recommend for my speakers (Rp-280f, RP-450c). My living room is probably around 20 ft wide, 16 ft long (bot no wall at the back so if I add the kitchen, it is probably 26 ft long).

I am hoping to spend around $900 for receiver. Let me know what you guys recommend. I looked at Denon AVR-X3300W which seemed like a good option from my limited knowledge. I don't plan to blow up the speakers so i thought I don't need to match the 150W of rp-280f. Or will I damage with a receiver that has 100-125W (at 8 ohms) per channel?

Also I have been told that cables are a big deal so I need to get good quality cables. Do you have any recommendation for those (including any websites)? Dumb question but do I also need banana plugs?

I really appreciate y'all taking time and replying to my questions. Thanks!!!! 

I looked at a few and am leaning towrards Marantz SR5011. Does anyone has any experience with that? I am planning to use it mainly for music. Is it enough to power up RP-280f? Can I use two channels from SR5011 to power up each of the RP-280f? Also do you recommend aby websties or stores to buy from? I saw the cheapest on jet.com

http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=SR5011

Marantz & Denon (D-M) are bed fellows, some may argue that the Marantz is better than it's Denon brother but generally you will pay more for it. I have the AVR-X3200W and have nothing but positive results with it. As for cables there is a lot of voodoo and smoke & mirrors, check out the link in my sig bellow before you spend your money on cables.

On 6/12/2017 at 1:36 PM, Shaw said:

Hello everyone,

I am somewhat new to the home theater world so please pardon some of my ignorance. During recent sale at adorama, I bought a pair of RP-280f (mains), RP-450c (center). I also bought RP-160m as part of that bundle but they are too big for rear speakers so I am planning to sell those and get the rp series surround speakers at a later date (maybe next year).

i (will be) using the speakers 60-70% of the time for music. Considering that, what receiver do you recommend for my speakers (Rp-280f, RP-450c). My living room is probably around 20 ft wide, 16 ft long (bot no wall at the back so if I add the kitchen, it is probably 26 ft long).

I am hoping to spend around $900 for receiver. Let me know what you guys recommend. I looked at Denon AVR-X3300W which seemed like a good option from my limited knowledge. I don't plan to blow up the speakers so i thought I don't need to match the 150W of rp-280f. Or will I damage with a receiver that has 100-125W (at 8 ohms) per channel?

Also I have been told that cables are a big deal so I need to get good quality cables. Do you have any recommendation for those (including any websites)? Dumb question but do I also need banana plugs?

I really appreciate y'all taking time and replying to my questions. Thanks!!!! 

First of all welcome, and congratulations on you purchase.  

It's rare that someone gets it right the first time but that combination you bought is a sweet setup, one that doesn't come with regrets.  Pause before you return the 160ms as they are fantastic.  As a music guy don't throw those back for surrounds just yet.  The surrounds are fantastic, especially for theater, but man those 160s are imo one of the better sounding Klipsch period.

Your Denon choice is a great one imo.  We've had a few back and forth discussions about AVRs and usually in this forum people are using Yamaha, Marantz or Denon.  Klipsch are very sensitive and don't need a lot of power, but do well with a lot of power if pushed that far.   How far you might expand your system should influence the receiver you buy, but really it comes down to preference.  If you really don't know what to buy I must say the entire Denon and Yamaha lines are terrific.  If you purchase one of the mid or upper models from the mfgs, they often come with an advanced autocorrection that helps EQ the sound to your room.  Some love it and some don't, I find it to be a really nice option.  

Used imo is a great way to buy audio equipment.  I've had pretty good luck with it.  Don't be afraid to get something used to save $$$ especially your first few laps around the hi-fi track.  

PWK used ordinary lamp cord, aka zip cord.  The type you can get at a home improvement center.  I think he is correct.  I bought a small roll of 16 gauge.  If you're wiring surrounds you might need quite a bit.

Yes, all sellers of special wire, often costly, sing its praises.  Some users do too.  They report audible differences.  I'm a doubting Thomas.  

I recommend you start with zip cord.  Later, if your enthusiasm and pocketbook allow, you can go with specialty wiring.  

With zip cord you will note that one of the pair has striations on the insulation.  This is good to keep track of polarity so the plus (red) terminal on the amp goes to the plus terminal on the speaker.  This is important.  Just as my own convention I use the striated side as ground (black terminals).  The striations remind me of lawn grass, which grows on the ground.  I use white zip cord and use red and black nail polish to mark them too.  The cheap stuff at Walgreens costs a couple of bucks. This is easier to see in dim light conditions behind the amp.

I also use twin banana plugs sometimes on the speaker end.  it makes moving and rewiring so much easier. Single bananas can often be used on the amp end.  When possible I solder the wire to the bananas.  

WMcD

There are many discussions here on speaker wire. If you do a search you can find a lot more detailed information.  I am a believer in NOT getting the cheapest stuff you can find.

In particular I think you should look for Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) and avoid the cheaper Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA).  There are technical reasons for this.

This speaker wire features two conductors made of high purity (greater than 99.95% pure), oxygen-free bare copper. Pure Bare Copper is a superior conductor to the copper clad aluminum (CCA) conductors used in most other inexpensive speaker wire. CCA is only about 68% as conductive as pure bare copper. This additional resistance is added to the impedance of your speakers and can negatively effect the sound.

For the wire to have no audible effect, the total wire resistance should be no more than 5% of the lowest impedance of your speakers. Even speakers rated for a nominal 8-ohms, may dip to as low as 4-ohms at some frequencies, which further reduces the total cable resistance allowed in the wire. Using Pure Bare Copper speaker wire ensures that the total load put on the amplifier remains as close as possible to the impedance curve of your speakers.

For example, a 16AWG 2-conductor Pure Bare Copper speaker wire has a total resistance of 0.803 ohms per 100 feet (both directions must be considered). By comparison, a 16AWG 2-conductor CCA speaker wire has a total resistance of 1.181 ohms per 100 feet. Assuming 4 ohms is the lowest impedance of your speakers, a speaker wire run can be no more 0.2-ohms total. 20 feet of 16AWG Pure Bare Copper would be 0.1606 ohms, well under the 0.2-ohm limit. On the other hand, 20 feet of 16AWG CCA would be 0.2362 ohms, well OVER the 0.2-ohm limit.

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2

This is what I use:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=9343&seq=1&format=2