Please help! New home, building a theater system

Jppeek

So I finally have my own space where I can  set up a real (have always had cheap all in one systems lol) home theater.  I bought a Samsung 65" curved 4K TV and I could really and (would so appreciate) any help someone could give me on the theater part.  I'm reading and learning but still kind of lost lol.

So I'm putting it in my finished basement

the space is (from back wall by bar to the TV) 20'x16' so about 320 square feet.  Seating is kind of shaped like a Diamond.  

I purchased a pair of R-26F speakers to start (thought it was a great deal and they had really good reviews).  I can return though if there is something that is way better out there.

The speakers came with a R-10SW subwoofer (again can return).  Do I need a second sub?

I'm looking at the RF-250c for my center (but open to other suggestions.)

However no clue on the receiver (was looking at a new Sony STRDN1080) but I just don't know what is best.  Would like to stay at about $600 or under if possible.  Though if I needed to I could go a little higher.  if I really needed too I could wait a few more pay checks and go up to 900-1,000 but that would be absolute max.  I would prefer to only do that if it was going to be a huge difference.

I also am not sure about the rear speakers?  Do I just get something cheaper or is it worth putting money into those as well?

i will be using this for movies and music however the priority is movies.  Love movie night and really want to have that (as close as my budget allows) movie theater sound.

I have about $1,000-$1,250 (right now) left to finish this project (if I wait I can go up to $1,500) much higher my wife is going to kill me lol.

thank you so much for reading this and for any advice anyone can provide.

JP

• Like 1

Movie night is my idea too, love movies and understand where you're at.

The short version is this -- the R-25F, R-26F and R-28F are kind of the entry level Klipsch speakers.  For someone like yourself and me about 18 months ago, it's a miracle of improvement and you probably are already smiling and very happy with your setup.

My view is this -- it is all about comfort level.  Buying something new always is safe, they come with a warranty, there's a lot of benefit buying from a Klipsch dealer.  But there's the flip side which is buying used equipment -- of which there is a ton out there, in great shape -- is the easiest and best way to save.

Route 1:  You build from system you already have.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  The matching center is the R-25C, will work nicely.  Inexpensive and decent quality bookshelf speakers that could be surrounds would be R-15Ms (imo).  R-14Ms are an option too but I prefer the 15s.  A second sub would be great but depends upon if it fits your budget now or not.  Yamaha, Denon and Marantz are very popular AVRs around here, and there are many price points for these.  

The difference in cost following Route 1 is this:  New = Full Price, Used = half price.  Used does not have a warranty.  But used imo has never been a problem.  You choose what you buy and can only buy models in very good shape that play and look perfect.  Think about this option and what you are comfortable with.  You can meet your budget here easily.

I see R-25Cs on special new for $125 all the time, and would guess used you can do half that. R-15Ms are on sale new sometimes for $125 a pair, and used can be less.  A new Denon, Yamaha, or Marantz can be $300 to $2000....but the same models used are often 1/3 the cost!  Many can be purchased from places that guarantee their used equipment.  Folks here can direct you.

Route 2:  You can step up to either the new Reference Premier line, or buy the higher quality older Reference Lines.  The RP series equivalent would be a pair of RP-260fs, and then the matching center would be RP-250C.  Because these are the latest models, used versions are out there but not as cheap as you might want.  Going to the Reference line that preceeded this Premier line (and is NOT, believe it or not, related to the Reference line you currently use), you can buy for example a pair of RF-62iis for about $300 total.  And a used RP-250C probably for $150ish, maybe $175.  

You do not need a 2nd sub at this point as a priority before buying a center or your surrounds. Get your main setup going first, then decide if you want and are ready for a 2nd sub.  The benefits are typically 1) more output (if needed) and 2) smoother response at more places in the room.  

RK 

Thank you so much!  

I am coming from a all in one Panasonic DVD player system from 2011 so the bar is pretty low lol.

do you have a particular receiver you would recommend?

I think I'm gonna try and stay away from Yamaha because of issues I've read with Yamaha receivers and Samsung tvs.  I'm open though if Yamaha is by far the best, 

the Sony STRDN1080 I've read some good stuff on, so I was considering but I'm gonna read up on Denon and Marantz now.  

Again thank you Sooo much.  I'm so excited about this.  I have friends staying for week of July 2nd and am hoping to unveil then with sports and movies :)

jp

Edited by Jppeek
typo

I had a Denon x2300w then went back to magnolia and demo'd more receivers because I wasn't liking the Denons sound. I listened to the Yamaha rxa860 and compared that with the pioneer lx501 and x3300w. I really liked how punchy and full sounding the Yamahas are. Pioneer had very good detail, but it sounds a little thin. I guess it all depends on the kind of sound you prefer, I was in your place and the thing that helped me was to audition them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the info, the more i am reading it sounds like Yamaha has a lot of pluses (I read one review about Samsung issues, but maybe its been resolved).  Guess i am just going to have to pull the trigger on one of these and see how it sounds.  There are just so many and they all seem so similar lol my head is spinning.  

I want to get one that maximizes my speakers, has a nice clean sound, but I do not care about a lot of the extra bells and whistles many of these seem to have (and I am sure I would be paying for lol).  I was leaning toward Sony at one point, but now i have read that it doesn't mesh well with these speakers so I guess its Pioneer, Yamaha, or Marantz. 

It would be so much easier if I just knew which one of those had the best sound, putting out about 100 Watts for around $500 lol.

I think im leaning toward a Yamaha RX-A760 but this Onkyo TX-RZ810 sounds interesting for the price.(would love any feedback any one has on either)

JP

Edited by Jppeek

That was one of them I looked at also, I decided to try the Denon first because of Issues I read about people having with Yamaha receivers and my Samsung TV I got.  However if I don't like it that may def be the next one I try.

out of curiosity what did you think about the sound of the Denon?  Is there a big difference with the Yamaha or are they similar?

thanks 

JP

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I was looking for comments on Marantz vs Yamaha but I think here is an interesting set up I'd like to share.

I had my first marantz in 1970 but many other stuff after, until I divorced and renew with new technologies like Home theater in 2006.  After Pioneer I switched back to Marantz SR5003 , and then a SR6005 with failures replaced by the company with SR6007. I upgrade to SR7007  and finally SR7008 with other failures, until I was told to discover Yamaha RX-A 2050 ready for Atmos and DTS-X. Sorry folks but Marantz was a nightmare; even the BD5005 can't play 3D adequatly. The company again replace mine  by BD5007 . They were kind to replace and repair their products but it's not the goal when you purchase so call good Equipment. I'm a technician,I know how to use and care about these Equipment.

So after all these adventures I live dreamlife with Yamaha aventage high end receiver. It is matched with RF7 I got used pair in perfect condition and plugged with Klipsch cables. Samsung 65 in curve Js9000 serie  high end UHD TV set with the new Sony UHD 4k UBP-X800 which read everything you throw in with all features you need to feel movies or music.

Of course all Klipsch; center chanel  RC62, RS52 surround and RS42 for presence or Atmos . No need for subs since the next house still shake from the previous klipsch sub I had sold since the police warned me when Iron man was saving the world from the space invaders :-). RF7 dual 10 in. woofers works as low as 31 hz perfectly.

The Yamaha aventage RX-A2050 is constructed with the ultimate design any audio engineer would like to get ; Professional studio sound with peace of mind. The receiver allow me to adjust the acoustic environment  I could'nt do with a basic two channel stereo receiver. But  need to take care of parametric to get the low frequencies , since they're all convince we'll hook up subs . My living room is not a perfect room  but the technologies allow  me to have real fun  watching movies or listening to music.

Audio visual technician in the 80's I'm now in the industrial automation world and appreciate technologies like  Home theater as well as great music from any source , even SACD. 

We are so far away from the first family TV 1958 and the first stereo system in 1961. Believe me, I'm a passionate Klipsch fan and my girlfriend who sing classical songs share it with great respect for Klipsch . 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, Gilber said:

Hi guys,

I was looking for comments on Marantz vs Yamaha but I think here is an interesting set up I'd like to share.

I had my first marantz in 1970 but many other stuff after, until I divorced and renew with new technologies like Home theater in 2006.  After Pioneer I switched back to Marantz SR5003 , and then a SR6005 with failures replaced by the company with SR6007. I upgrade to SR7007  and finally SR7008 with other failures, until I was told to discover Yamaha RX-A 2050 ready for Atmos and DTS-X. Sorry folks but Marantz was a nightmare; even the BD5005 can't play 3D adequatly. The company again replace mine  by BD5007 . They were kind to replace and repair their products but it's not the goal when you purchase so call good Equipment. I'm a technician,I know how to use and care about these Equipment.

So after all these adventures I live dreamlife with Yamaha aventage high end receiver. It is matched with RF7 I got used pair in perfect condition and plugged with Klipsch cables. Samsung 65 in curve Js9000 serie  high end UHD-HDR TV set 3D - 4K (december 2015 no bugs incredible picture ) with the new Sony UHD 3D-4K UBP-X800 which read everything you throw in with all features you need to feel movies or music.

Of course all Klipsch; center chanel  RC62, RS52 surround and RS42 for presence or Atmos . No need for subs since the next house still shake from the previous klipsch sub I had sold since the police warned me when Iron man was saving the world from the space invaders :-). RF7 dual 10 in. woofers works as low as 31 hz perfectly.

The Yamaha aventage RX-A2050 is constructed with the ultimate design any audio engineer would like to get ; Professional studio sound with peace of mind. The receiver allow me to adjust the acoustic environment  I could'nt do with a basic two channel stereo receiver. But  need to take care of parametric to get the low frequencies , since they're all convince we'll hook up subs . My living room is not a perfect room  but the technologies allow  me to have real fun  watching movies or listening to music.

Audio visual technician in the 80's I'm now in the industrial automation world and appreciate technologies like  Home theater as well as great music from any source , even SACD. 

We are so far away from the first family TV 1958 and the first stereo system in 1961. Believe me, I'm a passionate Klipsch fan and my girlfriend who sing classical songs share it with great respect for Klipsch .

P.S; Oh, by the way; here in Canada; the Yamaha RX-A2050 was 2000$ ( I paid 1600$)  while Marantz  SR7010  2800$  with less power,  small display, complicated interface...

I preffer to invest that much money into more valued  Klipsch speakers for Atmos or DTS-X surround .

Warantee; Yamaha is 4 years and Marantz is 3 years only (guest why...)

Update; the recent model for Yamaha is now RX-A2060 to be replaced by RX-A2070 in july 2017. Not so different with firmware update 

Don't  get fooled by salesman...they get more revenue by selling more expensive stuff ( I was  audio salesman in 80's , so I know...) .

Yamaha and Klipsch is a Natural match with natural sound you will proudly enjoy for years .

My "audio" teacher at college was a senior engineer who repeat ; " It's only reproduction; the band will never appear in your living room so get what your feelings tells you" ! 

300,000$ or 3000$?  if your need , budget and feeling is for 3000$ you'll be totally satisfy. Enjoy the Entertainment, don't get fooled....

Ah….upgade Klipsch set-up last year ; Front; RF7, center; RC7, Surround RS52, and Presence front for Atmos:  RS52;  Incredible results with the same RX-A2050 Yamaha.

Simply use manual sound EQ  after YPAO adjustments; +3 db for the bass and 0 db for treble.  It's really great punch and presence. Soon the new Yamaha RXA3080 with artificial intelligence for surround and 3D sound will certainly blow the ceiling :- )  No need for subs neither extra amp with those Klipsch  and Yamaha RX--A 2050. Enjoy life and great sound!.

Replaced with Yamaha RX-A2080 with Ai and replace  Bluray player Sony UBP-X800 by Sony UBP-X1000ES (wow!)   🙂

Edited by Gilber

@Scrappydue I am by Poughkeepsie NY about an hour 15 north of NYC.

and to give an update I have the Denon hooked up with the two front, center n sub and movies sound AMAZING, with music it is a big jump from my bose soundtouch 30 I've been using but with certain songs I don't get blown away by the sound like I do with movies.

Edited by Jppeek

Jppeek,

With 4K (even if the source is not 4K) you can probably afford to sit closer than you used to sit.  Big and immersive is the name of the game!

With a curved screen, center seating is preferred, rather than with chairs scattered around the room. 

Denon has the same parent company as Marantz.  The both generally have Audyssey, which works very well for me.  Some people don't like it, but I wonder if they have it set up correctly.  One change almost everyone makes after running Audyssey is to turn up the subwoofer a few dB AFTER running Audyssey.  Audyssey removes room peaks, including those in the bass, and we were used to those peaks, and may miss them.  No problem, turn up the sub after Audyssey does the room correction, and you will have SMOOTH accentuated bass, rather than JAGGED accentuated bass.

Take about an hour to read this, then about the same amount of time to run Audyssey. 

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"  It is very well written and really clear. It will make your Denon manual (and all manuals) look sick.

In haste,

Gary

I preferred Yamaha to Denon and the Onkyos were nice but they run really hot. Personally I would go for separate amps and processors for the greatest flexibility. Outside of my Sherbourn SR-120 receiver I have to say I honestly have not cared for any other receiver. I have heard good things from NAD and Anthem as far as receivers go, although I have not heard either they are both trusted brands that don't cut corners. I am not about to pop holes in my ceilings for Atmos so everything shy of that is covered by my gear. By the way, try tuning in your own gear as an alternative to the built in receiver knows best mic systems. I am yet to hear a better set system after using YPAO, Audessey or whatever compared to letting your own ears do the work.

To anyone shopping, listen, listen and listen. Each manufacturer has something unique about their sound, ease of operation or whatever that you should take into consideration. Sometimes it is worth you waiting a while to save up more and get the better gear so you are not out-growing it in a short time and losing money doing upgrades.

Tim