R-115SW stops working after 10 minutes

Sp3cialk29

I currently have my R-115SW connected to my VSX-1130 through the subwoofer pre out 1. After about 10 minutes even when listening to a bass test the subwoofer just cuts out. The R-115SW still has a green light on the front. I can get the sub to come back to life only by unplugging it from power and reconnecting it. 

Any ideas what my problem might be?

Something may be wrong with the sub but, try a couple of things first.  Put the sub in the always on position, make sure all speakers are set to small and try a different subwoofer cable.  Don't set the sub to plus.  Other will also give you suggestions so, check back.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I am mortified.... I have replaced the amp on the left  R115SW once, now the right is out. I had to have the left unit replace 2x as it was sent to me supposedly brand new and did not function. I am not quite sure what to say about this. I did not buy these for 800.00 + each to become a Klipsch repair man/ I have 4 M&K subs that are well over 20 years old with amps and have never had an issue. I just liked the quake effect with these ugly ducklings ( as of late... didn't pay 2 grand to put up with this ) Is there anyone out there who can point me to a quality high output amp that will screw in to the likes of this one and rock as it was intended to for years.... At this point if KLIPSCH has not corrected the issue , they do not intend to. I have read recent stories of horror from others tonight that I experienced 8 months ago, and was told it was not so uncommon.... Very disappointed at this point.

Thanks

JD

18 hours ago, NightGliderX said:

I am mortified.... I have replaced the amp on the left  R115SW once, now the right is out. I had to have the left unit replace 2x as it was sent to me supposedly brand new and did not function. I am not quite sure what to say about this. I did not buy these for 800.00 + each to become a Klipsch repair man/ I have 4 M&K subs that are well over 20 years old with amps and have never had an issue. I just liked the quake effect with these ugly ducklings ( as of late... didn't pay 2 grand to put up with this ) Is there anyone out there who can point me to a quality high output amp that will screw in to the likes of this one and rock as it was intended to for years.... At this point if KLIPSCH has not corrected the issue , they do not intend to. I have read recent stories of horror from others tonight that I experienced 8 months ago, and was told it was not so uncommon.... Very disappointed at this point.

Thanks

JD

Board up the amplifier hole, install some binding posts or cup in the newly installed plate and get yourself an outboard amplifier.

The inside of a subwoofer is a harsh environment for an amplifier.

• Like 2

Wish I worked at Klipsch to help track down and fix these QC and or design problems. But only if management wants it to get fixed. Trying to fix something that management doesn't give an F about is like banging your head against a brick wall.

Been there.......done that.........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If anyone has a phone # that works for Klipsch plate amp issues please shoot it to me. I have been on phone for 2.5 hours yesterday hunting ghosts and 1.5 hours this morning. I called 888.250.8561, Phone was answered KLIPSCH twice and transferred to the Kohler faucet company..... My father is rolling around in his grave reading this. I am not even sure what to say...

So far no human communication available for service ???  Corporate , then engineering is next... who has time for this .... When I purchased these subs I was considering a complete switch-over to KLIPSCH. Guess I will be continuing with purchasing OLD SKOOL B&W and having to do upgrades and maintain myself. ( Just not enough time for this, We all need to realize just because we are capable you still need to put a dollar value on what you feel your time was worth to get true cost analysis.... Upgrade to silver oil cooled crossovers, refinishing, your time all computes to actual cost... My father lectured me on the KLIPSCH is the one to get for 22 years. I had his badass old skool units (2 pairs) for years until my ex wanted the huge historic beasts removed from her decor... Had zilch to do with sound... Then I went to Polk and M&K subs... Didn't last long however I am still blessed with Old Skool Polk's.  I do DREAM every night that I had my Klipsch La Scala and Klipsch Horn every night. They were wittingly removed from me 22 years ago by my ex when I had no idea of what I had... Background info. I run 3 complete systems...1 is a Marantz / Rotel and the other 2 are Denon / Rotel. Output screamers are Klipsch, B&W, Polk, Miller and Kriesel. Yes I am blessed , all have been acquired over the years. I am leaning to B&W mains, Rears and Side Channels along with JL audio subs and Def Tek subs as I upgrade... I sure wish KLIPSCH could convince me that their products are the toys I desire. I do enjoy the sonic differences in systems, but it seems all manufacturers are laying down on quality in more ways than one. For instance- every recent B&W speaker purchase was a used product which were mint original condition or were brought back by myself and elf's. I will not purchase current B&W products as I feel the same way especially with such an elevated price tag and the diminishing component and cabinet quality.

20 minutes ago, jason str said:

Board up the amplifier hole, install some binding posts or cup in the newly installed plate and get yourself an outboard amplifier.

The inside of a sub woofer is a harsh environment for an amplifier.

The above quote is about what I call a NEW KLIPSCH Reference Sub woofer.... Still has 5 months of warranty remaining !!!  Seriously... He is in fact 200 % correct in theory !!!  Thanks Brother !!! I suppose I may be getting old.... Nah...LOL..

I am constantly being harassed to eliminate a system or 2 due to the high wire content around the rooms ( I enjoy fresh oversize mega conductors that I believe transfer sound the best) and was trying to wrap myself around the theory that wireless ( KLIPSCH wireless technology) is acceptable and will improve relationships as well...lol... But I am admittedly old skool old and just don't get it...

In fairness to KLIPSCH I have just had a communique with KLIPSCH after contacting corporate #. I feel the gentleman was fair and expedited shipping out a replacement plate amp, but with this being a known issue I asked where I could purchase a few to have on hand for tonight's get together and was informed they are only available from KLIPSCH directly.... I will further correspond and communicate the thoughts of the understanding folks who have responded to my post.... THEY CARE !!!! It's about the sound and music / movie audio etc not the money..... Well that may be partial white lie but you get it.... I have some time free and want to sit around relax and go Full Simple Audio !!! ( The old Maxell Commercial comes to mind ) Not rework the newest items in my audio arsenal !!!  I am using a synergy 10 KLIPSCH Sub in a small bedroom and it is phenomenal and @ 15 years old , electronic plate amp and no issues as of yet !!!!

For the record the 2- KLIPSCH R-115 Subs are the best all around subs I have ever owned, if you forget about the 3 electronic failures in less than 19 months of ownership of Brand new A stock product... And they are not the most expensive units I own. I am worried that this meltdown of the amps will continue and I will not be able to find replacements in the future rendering these units useless unless I get to work modding.... If I desired this I could have put together a much more radical build and saved myself warranty issues, but increased relationship and time management issues. Had I done this and figured in components and time I would have went with a different BRAND I suppose...( I keep a very busy schedule with Work, Search and Rescue and other ventures, the most important being Family Time !!! )

I apologize for the long post but felt full background was needed considering the concerns I had.... Maybe KLIPSCH will take notice....

"Just an average American ordinary man"

JD

15 minutes ago, NightGliderX said:

I am using a synergy 10 KLIPSCH Sub in a small bedroom and it is phenomenal and @ 15 years old , electronic plate amp and no issues as of yet !!!!

That's amazing in and of itself.  The Sub 10 and Sub 12 plate amps seemed to fail by the truckload.

• Like 1

Once upon a time Klipsch had stellar customer service that went above and beyond for their customers, now not so much.

I just recommended the best solution if you wanted to keep your current subs for a long time, having them repaired is likely just going to cost you in the long run.

If you can get them repaired under warranty that's great but the odds are stacked against you i hate to say if you plan to keep them, on the other hand replace the amps with an outboard type you will have something that will last so not to worry.

Hope everything works out for you.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NightGliderX said:

If anyone has a phone # that works for Klipsch plate amp issues please shoot it to me. I have been on phone for 2.5 hours yesterday hunting ghosts and 1.5 hours this morning. I called 888.250.8561, Phone was answered KLIPSCH twice and transferred to the Kohler faucet company

Not sure where you got that number but if you're going to call, it's 800-KLIPSCH.  What you need to do though is go to their website and enter a ticket, they will call you.  

http://support.klipschgroupinc.com/

19 hours ago, jason str said:

The inside of a subwoofer is a harsh environment for an amplifier.

I would do this after the warranty expires if you want to keep the sub long term, otherwise you can get Klipsch to either repair your old plate or have them send you a new one. Once the sub is fixed you can try and sell it to recoup some of your costs let someone else deal with it after that. 

As far as repairing these cheap digital amps the cost to produce one is so low it usually just does not make sense Klipsch probably pays $30 for a complete amp assembly in one of these subs that's about 10 minutes bench time I assume there's enough profit in the subs to replace a few plates for each one before the warranty gives out. 

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

As far as repairing these cheap digital amps the cost to produce one is so low it usually just does not make sense Klipsch probably pays $30 for a complete amp assembly in one of these subs that's about 10 minutes bench time I assume there's enough profit in the subs to replace a few plates for each one before the warranty gives out. 

This is a bad experience for the customer which ruins the reputation of the company. Which means in the long run means it is  bad for the company. Short sighted management IMHO. Spend the money and time to figure out why failures are premature and fix the problem. Production in China is relatively cheap, rework here in USA not so much.

8 hours ago, babadono said:

This is a bad experience for the customer which ruins the reputation of the company. Which means in the long run means it is  bad for the company. Short sighted management IMHO. Spend the money and time to figure out why failures are premature and fix the problem. Production in China is relatively cheap, rework here in USA not so much.

I 100% agree but I wonder how many are actually going bad as a percentage, most people who buy these and don't have problems aren't going to randomly sign in to tell everyone how their sub still runs strong. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, Vispen74 said:

When I received my third amp recently, Klipsch told that they had better quality parts recently. Well, time will tell. I just ran out of warranty, so if this third one will die as well, than I will buy an amp other than Klipsch to put in.

Every time they replace an amp in your sub the warranty period should start all over again IMHO. At least as far as the amp is concerned.

• Like 1