R-115SW stops working after 10 minutes

Sp3cialk29

i have 2 of the r115, the first one i bought was a b stock then i bought one used. the b stock lasted about 2 yrs then started showing signs it was going out by shutting down after several mins of playing. the used followed shortly after with the same issues. i figured what the heck ill open it up and take a look at the amp myself. i could see that a cap was slightly bubbled around the power supply, so i figured id give it a shot and try the repair myself.. i re[laced the same cap on both of them and theyve been working for several weeks now, and i ran them really hard at first to make sure the problem was fixed..if i have some pistures of which cap it is i will upload them soon

• Like 1

OP here,

I opened a ticket from my original issue back in June 2017. I ended up paying to ship the entire R115-SW back to the manufacturer, roughly $100. They shipped me a replacement shortly after.

The new replacement has just started turning itself off if the bass is to loud. I will be opening a new support ticket after the holidays. Has any one had luck getting a fix that works?

I REPLACED THIS CAP AND RESISTOR AND MY AMPS SEEM TO BE WORKING FINE. IF YOUR WARRANTY EVER RUNS OUT MAYBE THIS WOULD BE OF SOME HELP... THERE AT THE TOP OF THE AMP ON THE POWER SUPPLY....JUST BELOW THE TWO LARGE CAPS IN THIS PICTURE

KLIPSCH CAP REPLACEMENT.jpg

Edited by dickd25
  • Like 1

I REPLACED THIS CAP AND RESISTOR AND MY AMPS SEEM TO BE WORKING FINE. IF YOUR WARRANTY EVER RUNS OUT MAYBE THIS WOULD BE OF SOME HELP... THERE AT THE TOP OF THE AMP ON THE POWER SUPPLY....JUST BELOW THE TWO LARGE CAPS IN THIS PICTURE

900331098_KLIPSCHCAPREPLACEMENT.jpg.f2db4616ee67959d6ef14b8920cc1fdd.jpg

Sorry for my bad knowledge here, but is it possible to point out the exact components in the picture, and also if you have the values for the components you used.

I will try this my self since I have my old broken amp left becides my new replacement amp.

On 12/15/2018 at 10:45 AM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Not sure where you got that number but if you're going to call, it's 800-KLIPSCH.  What you need to do though is go to their website and enter a ticket, they will call you.  

http://support.klipschgroupinc.com/

This. I bought an either refurbished or open box RSB-11 a couple of years ago from an authorized dealer. When it arrived, I found that the woofer voice coil was knocked out of alignment during shipping. I contacted customer service and was directed to send the faulty sub back for repair or exchange (can't remember which). Klipsch paid for all shipping and repair costs, updated me via e-mail as service progressed, and the new (or repaired) unit has been working without trouble for a couple of years now. Pretty good customer service in my experience.

• 1 year later...

On 12/24/2018 at 12:49 AM, dickd25 said:

I have two R-115SWs, both have gone out, the first a year back the dealer sent me an entire new board but this one right now I am in limbo land.

I just looked at the old board I kept, wow, those same two capacitors look fried, the tops are very white and discolored.  Not sure on the resistor.

Appreciate the post, I've looked everywhere and couldn't find help but hopefully I can get these out and replaced and it works.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:49 AM, dickd25 said:

KLIPSCH CAP REPLACEMENT.jpg

Right this morning, the 3:rd amplifier just broke on my R-115 SW, bought in 2016. With that said, the amplifier have broke and been replaced two times already, so the life time of these amplifiers seems to be about 18 month. Now I have to change amplifier again so I can use my subwoofer another year, this will be amplifier number four in a time of four years. Actually I have owned a number of subwoofers in my life, and I have never encountered anything like this before, usually they lasts more or less forever and this is the most expensive one I ever owned.

Isn't there any extended warranty for this amplifier, or any exchange program?

If I got it right, I can try to change the red marked component to get it working again?

R115WS_board.jpg

8 hours ago, Vispen74 said:

For me, and I've had two of these go out one the dealer fixed this one I'm dealing with, it is the resistor right behind that and the two capacitors on each side of it.

The resistor for sure blew as it is partially melted and the two capacitors are "chalky" so they are probably fried.

The resistor is a 620 ohm, not exactly sure the voltage but what I found on Amazon that seems to be the same physical size is a 3 volt.

The capacitors are 50v and 22uf.

The capacitor you are showing, at least on both my boards, looks fine.

The resistor is a bit tricky to get in and out, the capacitors not that much.

FWIW this is what I literally just ordered today that I think will work:

Resistor: 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLV68XY/?coliid=I1GEV0S1CXJA4F&colid=12EMDFPDJ89QV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&fbclid=IwAR1YZBoGtsIo5uwGktqOxsrcg23EV1oCi_g9eEGaIbiI0VHtBuse90bvrNM

Capacitor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076H4P55Z/?coliid=I1MA1IODEI0CQ&colid=12EMDFPDJ89QV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&fbclid=IwAR0ESV0CdaYDQvQ3Cro6fhirMC2Re9UyVCHZMIwZPlsCtKFZ7lTELpEkAQU

Hate doing Amazon but I live remote and calling around have not found anyone within 25 miles that sells electronic components.

When you change them TAKE NOTE, capacitors have polarity, they have a + and - side.  The - leg is shorter and is where that gray strip is.  ie on these the negative side is facing towards the outside or in that picture to the right.

Also, the capacitor you show is different than the two I am talking about, it is 16 volt and I can't see the uf rating unless I take it out.

I'm pretty sure the issue is the resistor, on one board of mine it is fried, talking melted, the other it is slightly charred, I'm thinking it goes out and then fries those capacitors.  For sure 100% the one I took out which was only charred is bad as it is supposed to have a range of 589 to 651ohm (it is a 620ohm rated) and mine is reading almost 900 ohm.  Like I said the other one is melted.

Problem is to test these things you really need them off the board and if you go to the trouble taking them out may as well just replace.  Even though my two capacitors I took out are "chalky" they seem to still be functional as they do test ok, but I'm sure they are compromised.

The resistor is Gold Brown Red Blue (and wow was that hard to see as the brown looks like purple but no way could it be as that is a magnifier of 100 MILLION lol).  You can use this if you want to check:
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/resistor-color-code-calculator/

Sorry if I'm rambling, I spent hours and hours trying to figure this out and to find information and this is the only thread I was able to find my problem.  I'm still hoping my one amp they take care of me and send out another board like they did the other, but as you said, these things seem to blow about every 18 months, my one amp was about 18 months when it blew, this one made it to 3 years though and it blew.  Sucks a freaking 40 cent resistor takes out a $700 subwoofer but at least it isn't all that difficult to fix.

Right this morning, the 3:rd amplifier just broke on my R-115 SW, bought in 2016. With that said, the amplifier have broke and been replaced two times already, so the life time of these amplifiers seems to be about 18 month. Now I have to change amplifier again so I can use my subwoofer another year, this will be amplifier number four in a time of four years. Actually I have owned a number of subwoofers in my life, and I have never encountered anything like this before, usually they lasts more or less forever and this is the most expensive one I ever owned.

Isn't there any extended warranty for this amplifier, or any exchange program?

If I got it right, I can try to change the red marked component to get it working again?

R115WS_board.jpg

sub.PNG

Edited by Gordon

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

... a lot of information...

Thank you so much for this! I will order the parts and give it a try. I start with the same you were changing, and see.

I guess these parts are the same as the Amazon links? This is from a reseller that have a store local here in Stockholm.

https://www.elfa.se/sv/kondensator-22uf-20-50v-105-rubycon-50zl22mefct15x11/p/16704376

https://www.elfa.se/sv/motstand-620-ohm-prefix-prefix-vishay-pr03000206200jac00/p/16055470

elfa.JPG

Edited by Vispen74

2 hours ago, Vispen74 said:

Those do seem to be the same as what I showed you, I can't read the text as I only know english but from the description it seems to be the same thing.  Like I said I'm not 100% sure that is the same resistor but it appears to be, the dimensions of the one I posted were the same as what came out and I did figure out it was 620 ohm, not sure how to figure out what the voltage is but others of 620 ohm like 1/2 volt up to 2 volt were all physically smaller.

Thank you so much for this! I will order the parts and give it a try. I start with the same you were changing, and see.

I guess these parts are the same as the Amazon links? This is from a reseller that have a store local here in Stockholm.

https://www.elfa.se/sv/kondensator-22uf-20-50v-105-rubycon-50zl22mefct15x11/p/16704376

https://www.elfa.se/sv/motstand-620-ohm-prefix-prefix-vishay-pr03000206200jac00/p/16055470

elfa.JPG

• Like 1