how to ship a sub?

Sky Hits

Hello all,

My friend is shipping me a powered sub (12" woofer; 80 lbs boxed) from Michigan to Louisiana. Sub will be double boxed in original packaging. 

Was given advice that UPS freight is the only safe bet. I called UPS for a quote and wow that's pricey. 

Is this the best/only way to go? 

Thanks, Seth

Someone bought one of mine (danley DTS-10 around 280 pounds) and they (shippers) came, picked it up, put it on a pallet and mummified it in a frame/padding.

I don't know the expense (he paid for all of it) but they shipped it from my door in Tennessee to his door in/near Los Angeles.

I think it's a function of how much are you willing to pay.

• Like 1

Try soliciting a "Pony Express" from Michigan to Louisiana.  Many folks travel during the summer from the midwest to New Orleans including some of our forum members.  Maybe a member has some room in his/her automobile and would be willing to help out.

Bill

• Like 2

i had my buddy buy 2 subs from Jason (on here) and 1 was damaged, even though it was on a pallet! oh, and you guessed it, the shipper said it wasn't their fault! i would almost build a 2x4 wooden cage around it!  i know this, if  you make an account on FedEx, shipping rates are retarded cheap! it's free, just register and follow all the steps.

this could also be one of the reasons buying a used sub isn't as good as buying new, the shipping cost for us are expensive!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Normally what happens is the motor snaps off the basket or the basket breaks if they are made of cast aluminum, either way the driver is trash.

No matter how much care is taken during packing will help if its not properly taken care of in the shipping process.

Shipping subs can be a nightmare. The magnet breaking off is extremely common with the little Sunfire subwoofers as the magnets weigh so much. When I pack subs like this I double box them in a shock absorber set up with a hard liner tight around the inside of the boxes and at least 3 inches of foam packing nuts around the sub and hard lining and around the inside box and hard lining of the outside box. Total package ends up much larger than the sub itself but seems to work. You have to expect that the box will be dropped repeatedly, often from a few feet off the ground and pack accordingly. It is also very important to label the outside of the box on all sides "Fragile" and which side up.

9 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Shipping subs can be a nightmare. The magnet breaking off is extremely common with the little Sunfire subwoofers as the magnets weigh so much. When I pack subs like this I double box them in a shock absorber set up with a hard liner tight around the inside of the boxes and at least 3 inches of foam packing nuts around the sub and hard lining and around the inside box and hard lining of the outside box. Total package ends up much larger than the sub itself but seems to work. You have to expect that the box will be dropped repeatedly, often from a few feet off the ground and pack accordingly. It is also very important to label the outside of the box on all sides "Fragile" and which side up.

Fragile and this end up only works if they care about stuff they ship, unfortunately they do not.

I have tried many different types of packing materials over the years including crating, foam, peanuts & multiple different layers. Nothing that big and heavy is safe if the package is dropped.

• 2 weeks later...