Got me some Macs

svberger

5 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

You have  nice looking system!  The 250 is a tube amp?

Thanks. The 250 is a first generation SS. But very "tube like" in it's presentation. 

4 minutes ago, Ole Dollar said:

Very nice. I'm interested to know how well the 110 works with the 250. Is the phono section to your liking?

The 110 works beautifully with the 250. The 250 was designed to actually be plugged into the early Mac pre's, like the 110, for on/off capability. And yes I really like the phono section. There's actually 2 MM inputs, and I have my AR XA and Dual 1019 both using them at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, jacksonbart said:

Top Notch

Thanks!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Looking good!  Was the MX110 also restored by AC?

I love my MC250's.  If at some point you could bring yourself to buy another one, they work fantastic bridged to 100w each as monoblocks.  Enjoy.

No the 110 was partially restored by the previous owner. Sounds great, and I'm not touching it anymore for now. 

Having bridged 250's would be boss. I currently have a pair of Dynaco MKIII's in restoration purgatory, and so won't be adding anything else at least until I know the outcome on those. 

I just bought a used 250 last week to pair with my LaScalas. I previously used an Adcom GFA-555, and it was no contest. The 250 sounds so darn nice and smooth with the LaScalas. Now I know what you mean by McIntosh and Klipsch pairing so well together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Numerous advantages.  The MC-250 can be rebuilt fairly inexpensively.  They are compatible with virtually everything.  Home audio and pro audio as well.  Very little risk here when buying other components to interface with sight unheard.  The MC-250 usually has considerably more power than they are rated for.  The MC-250 does sound somewhat tubey, but no tube expense or maintenance.  MC-250 mates with Klipsch speakers very well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, svberger said:

No the 110 was partially restored by the previous owner. Sounds great, and I'm not touching it anymore for now. 

Having bridged 250's would be boss.

One might even go as far as "Neat-O Torpedo!"

• Like 1

On 6/14/2017 at 10:59 AM, svberger said:

Having bridged 250's would be boss. I currently have a pair of Dynaco MKIII's in restoration purgatory, and so won't be adding anything else at least until I know the outcome on those. 

And the outcome on the Dynaco's is they are repaired and coming home tomorrow. Allowing me to have an abundance of riches and figure out which amp I prefer. Details to follow. 

These early Mac solid state were the best they ever did IMO... Really excellent sounding gear. I had the mono versions, the MC50's for a time, and completely regret getting rid of them. They are a real nice break from HiFi, if that makes sense, and allow you to just melt into the music.

Congrats on putting together a beautiful system!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul79 said:

These early Mac solid state were the best they ever did IMO... Really excellent sounding gear. I had the mono versions, the MC50's for a time, and completely regret getting rid of them. They are a real nice break from HiFi, if that makes sense, and allow you to just melt into the music.

Congrats on putting together a beautiful system!

Thanks, and I agree completely regarding the break from hifi. That, in a nutshell, is what I've been reaching for since moving in the "vintage" direction a few years ago. 

I'm hoping that the Dynaco MKIII's that are coming into the picture today are significantly different, better, or worse, then the MC50, so I can figure out what to do with them easily. I really don't need to keep them on the shelf gathering dust not being used, and I only have room for one system. I love everything about the MC50, from it's sound to the way it matches up with the MX110 pre, to how it sounds through the Cornwall's. The fact that it runs cooler is a bonus on this very unusual heat wave we're currently enduring in the SF/Bay Area. But I love tubes, and I'm guessing the III's will bring with them their own benefits and match up well with the 110 and Cornwall's too. A nice predicament to be in, but a predicament nonetheless. In the end run, I'll never sell the 250, so the III's will have to be outstanding for me to decide to keep them around as well. 

On 6/14/2017 at 0:33 PM, svberger said:

To push my Cornwall II's. A very early MX110, and a MC250(restored by Audio Classics). I'd say I'm all set for summer. 

0614170916.jpg

I got some Macs too....they might sound as nice..

but they taste better !

Big_Mac_hamburger.jpg

• Like 1