Windows 10 Creators Update - Good or Bad?

wvu80

Win 10 Creators Update  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Creators Version

• Good
    • Neutral
    • Bad
    • Microsoft's attempt to sell us more stuff
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you plan to upgrade to the Creators version?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • I have already upgraded
    • Other

After being nagged by Microsoft prompts I just upgraded to the "Creators" edition.  I can now do new and exciting things like type notes, and Cortana is there to save me money by offering some buying suggestions!  (where's that gag me with a spoon emoticon when you need it?"

The main reason I upgraded is due to promised increase in security. 

What say you?

• Like 1

I would wait until it's forced onto you to upgrade.  I haven't personally had any issues but I know of some others that have.  Blue screens and HDD corruption being the main thing there.  Not sure what you mean by "Microsoft attempting to sell us more stuff" - the 10 upgrades are free...

50 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Not sure what you mean by "Microsoft attempting to sell us more stuff" - the 10 upgrades are free...

Microsoft now tracks virtually everything you do via Windows 10.  You have two choices, you can have generic ads shown to you or you can choose targeted ads, but you can't opt out. It's under the "Privacy" settings.

In addition when Win10 Creators came up the first time it bragged that Cortana can "save you money" by suggesting where you can buy products.

I don't like being tracked, but it's the way of the internet these days.  What else can you do?

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Microsoft now tracks virtually everything you do via Windows 10.  You have two choices, you can have generic ads shown to you or you can choose targeted ads, but you can't opt out. In addition when Win10 Creators came up the first time it bragged that Cortana can "save you money" by suggesting where you can buy products.

I don't like being tracked, but it's the way of the internet these days.  What else can you do?

Yes .....they track everything.........I always wondered why Windows 10 upgrade was free....now I know why. It may take be less taxing to your PC . But I would never call it an upgrade to Windows 7. Only after installing Classic Shell...is it to me even tolerable.

George,.

20 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

To be fair, you're almost always tracked the second you hit a website.  Google's done it for years with Chrome, and it did so before that any time you used their search engine to locate a website.  Every website, including Klipsch, collects some data - but I'm sure you already knew that.  It's been that way since...ever.

The animal welfare website I maintain for the rescue my mom operates collects a good amount of data too prior to collecting personal info (that the user opts to do).  We generally know what state they're in, what browser and OS they're using, if it's a phone - which one, who their ISP is - which then provides us generic demographics like age, language, and in some cases income.  Then again, we don't use that...but it's what the monitors collect.

As for ads...to be fair, I'd rather have ads that might be for something useful coming up, rather than something totally pointless.  I mean, come on...haven't you noticed more Klipsch ads on websites and fewer Bose ones lately? :D:P

• Like 1

I had Windows 10 on two computers but went back to Windows 7 because 10 was doing things by itself out of my control. Also it did not like older hard drives, motherboards, and routers and would frequently regurgitate them. Compatibility would do nothing. It would also interfere somehow with the bios settings. End of story.

JJK

56 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I was on a site with some vids and Win10 said it had disabled FLASH due to security reasons.

Is Flash really a security risk?

Newer versions of Firefox, Chrome, etc., will not install or run the Flash plugins, considering the architecture used to be a security risk. This goes back to the architecture being developed when Netscape was still in use.

4 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I had Windows 10 on two computers but went back to Windows 7 because 10 was doing things by itself out of my control. Also it did not like older hard drives, motherboards, and routers and would frequently regurgitate them. Compatibility would do nothing. It would also interfere somehow with the bios settings. End of story.

JJK

I don't know what you mean by OLD, as I have Windows 10 running on computers that are approx. 8 years old. It installed easier and runs faster than Win 7 on the same equipment. Clean installs help, but that has always been the case.

Bruce

24 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Newer versions of Firefox, Chrome, etc., will not install or run the Flash plugins, considering the architecture used to be a security risk. This goes back to the architecture being developed when Netscape was still in use.

Bruce, do you recommend removing Flash altogether?

I am willing to live without some features to gain more security.

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

I don't know what you mean by OLD, as I have Windows 10 running on computers that are approx. 8 years old. It installed easier and runs faster than Win 7 on the same equipment. Clean installs help, but that has always been the case.

Bruce

Gigabyte boards (GA-X38-DQ6, GA-K8N Ultra-9), and Win 10 could not supply the driver for the 7.1 audio and subsequently messed up the bios.  One of the SATA drives would not work with Win 10. When Win 10 was downloading updates it would block all other network functions  and basically freeze the computer until the updates were completed. It would also keep changing video card performance with updates that required re-installing software to older versions. it also didn't like software that required older .net files. It also furiously kept changing codecs from other softwares to Windows video software apps. You also can't use it to load up "Windows XP Mode" stuff. So basically I would have to spend thousands to upgrade to Windows 10. I have  a new $184.00 Windows 10 Pro thumb drive sitting in the file cabinet doing nothing, maybe waiting for a new machine before I hit 80.

JJK

I run CS4 of Adobe's Creative Suite, including Adobe Premier. Even some old audio production tools with no problem, but I feel your pain.

I'm still learning how to tweak Win 10 as a DAW. I want to get Windows 10 LTSB (Long Term Service Branch) without doing it as a subscription. Look it up online. I think it would be ideal for studios. It installs with nothing on the start menu and none of the vr app/xbox/game links that you can't turn off or uninstall.

Bruce

On 6/14/2017 at 9:46 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

I upgraded.  So far, I don't see any positive improvements.  On the negative side, it seems to stall for a handful of seconds before the password textBox appears when starting up or activating from sleep mode.  It used to not have that delay.

I figured out the problem.  My laptop has a fingerprint reader I use to log in.  The Win update corrupted the driver.  I downloaded and re-installed the driver from HP's website, and it's fixed.  

Also, I had forgotten that it also corrupted my sound driver.  The volume was low.  It also did this when I originally went from 7 to 10 as well.  Again, I downloaded and re-installed the Beats Audio driver from HP's site, and it was fixed.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:57 AM, Marvel said:

I fully agree.  It's faster both boot and shut down. 

Tell about this LTSB Windows.  Not familiar with it, but if it has your attention it has mine...

Dave

I might add that I think "Creator's" version is a bit of a stretch.  Our Creator's version has been running for eons and still hibernates every night and boots every morning with only an occasional upgrade every few 100k years.

Dave