Drones, I hate them....

ACV92

Leaning away from the audio realm, I have to air my disdain for drones with cameras on them.  Tonight, I'm in the backyard with one of my daughters and a drone comes flying above our yard, but not over our yard.  We live at the back corner of an elementary schoolyard.  The drone was over the schoolyard, not over my property, yet it hovers, rotates to where I can see the lens aiming at me, and holds it's position.

The operator repeats this scenario a couple of more times.  At this point, I want to kick somebody's a**.  I want to remove the drone's ability to fly via Remington.  Don't own one, but I'd buy one for this purpose.  Ultimately, in my eyes, my privacy has been violated.  I know we're in the age of cameras everywhere, but when is it too much?

If there were drones flying around with no cameras, I'd have no issue.  Every generation loses more of their civil liberties.  It's OK to them because it's what they know.  Remember to teach what patriotism and freedom mean.  Crucial. 

OK, I feel better now.  Back to the music.  All hail Klipsch.....   

• Like 3

One gent did just this. His daughter was sunbathing in the backyard and her daughter cam in telling her dad a drone was over their yard with a big camera. Dad came out and shot it. He called the cops and in the meantime the operator of the drone comes over steaming pissed and picks up his drone yelling at the guy that he'll be paying for his $2000 drone. Three of his buddies start to walk towards him on his property and dad calmly tells them "you step foot on my driveway I'll shoot all of you for threatening my daughter and I". 

They stopped.

Cops arrested dad for unlawful discharge of a firearm blah, blah, blah. Went to court and paid the fine. 

What NOBODY did and should have was to remove the memory from the drones camera as evidence. 

If you do shoot one save the drone as evidence!! Peeping Toms and perverts need to be checked. It would be different if it was a quick fly by and your moving on. But the above drone operator was there long enough to alert the daughter who in turn went to tell her dad. Dad came out confirmed it, went back into his home got the shotgun and walked out and the drone was still there. That's a long time.

I see a problem of discharging a firearm.  I get it even if I don't like it. On the other hand I'd ask the judge for that drone operator to be "booked" and restricted from using any drone for a some time. Just like a hacker getting caught breaking into your home via computer. There's got to be some fair discipline for both parties.

Same with high rise buildings. You have a lady taking a shower on the twentieth story where you expect privacy and here comes a drone. 

NOT that I'd shoot it even if I was on the balcony and it was directly in front of me as the drones fall MIGHT harm people below. But if that operator was caught I'd file against him. There HAS to be a law against that. 

Leaning away from the audio realm, I have to air my disdain for drones with cameras on them.  Tonight, I'm in the backyard with one of my daughters and a drone comes flying above our yard, but not over our yard.  We live at the back corner of an elementary schoolyard.  The drone was over the schoolyard, not over my property, yet it hovers, rotates to where I can see the lens aiming at me, and holds it's position.

The operator repeats this scenario a couple of more times.  At this point, I want to kick somebody's a**.  I want to remove the drone's ability to fly via Remington.  Don't own one, but I'd buy one for this purpose.  Ultimately, in my eyes, my privacy has been violated.  I know we're in the age of cameras everywhere, but when is it too much?

If there were drones flying around with no cameras, I'd have no issue.  Every generation loses more of their civil liberties.  It's OK to them because it's what they know.  Remember to teach what patriotism and freedom mean.  Crucial. 

OK, I feel better now.  Back to the music.  All hail Klipsch.....   

Welcome to the year 2017, while i completely agree with you this is a violation of your privacy, if the drone operator was watching, or recording, i think there is not much you could do, i read somewhere that a guy shot a drone and he got in trouble.. At this time there is an entire gray area of where a drone can and can't do..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

They used to be called peeping toms.

They should be handled accordingly.

The bad thing about your daughter outside is that legally I don't know that you have a reasonable expectation of privacy unless you are inside.  People are brave with this kind of stuff since they can hide at a distance and you can't tell who they are... kind of like the Internet.

Given time and creative thought I'm sure we can come up with a good response to this that will stay within the law. 

1 hour ago, Schu said:

I have a 2watt handheld laser to dissuade drone fliers ... works every time.

any laser aimed in the air IS asking for a police visit, it will NOT be friendly.

1 hour ago, Schu said:

laser_backyard_full.jpg

8 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Anybrand will do.  A cheap shot gun will work, lol.

Work well, however make too much noise, again, an unfriendly police visit is on the way.

58 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

How about a drone jamming device?

JJK

If there is a way to take them OUT or upset the operator, this is the ticket.

None can be bought off the shelf, you need to know electronics or someone who does.

Plan on up to $400.

The Drone in operation can/will do many things, none of them the operator will like.

The biggie of this type of device is you can NOT talk about it! Jammers can put you in jail.

Shooting over a school yard is a really bad idea!

Those little 22 shot shells might work if you were close enough but still might not be a legal response at your address.  

Remember shooter safety training:  Always be aware of your back stop... what is beyond your target!

A little info someone else gathered... sounds like what I remember anyway:

Distances Bullets Travel , How Far Can A Bullet Travel? 

.22 Short

········ (.5 to 1 mile)

.22 LRHV

············ (1-1.5 miles)

.22 Mag

················ (1.5-2.5 miles)

························· (2-3 miles)

······························ (2.5-3.5 miles)

7MM

········································ (up to 5 miles)

.30-30

····················· (2-2.5 miles)

.30-06

······································· (3.5-4.5 miles)

.300 Sav

.300 Win Mag

.35 Rem

.45-70

················ (1.5-2.5 miles)

From a different source - 

Hand Gun Ranges:

.25ACP 3,300 Ft.
.45 ACP 5,000 Ft.
.38 SPL 5,550 Ft.
.357 MAG 6,600 Ft.
.40 S&W 6,600 Ft.
9x19mm 6,600 Ft.
.44 MAG 7,000 Ft.

1 mile = 5,280 Ft,

All Distances are approximate using conventional ammunition.

Rifle Ranges:

.22 Short Sea Level - .75 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 1.5 Miles
.22 LHV Sea Level - 1.25 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 1.75 Miles
.22 LRHV Sea Level - 1.3 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 2 Miles
.22 WIN MAG Sea Level - 1.5 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 2.5 Miles
.222 Sea Level - 2 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 3 Miles
.243 Sea Level - 2.5 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 3.5 Miles
.270 Sea Level - 2.5 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 3.5 Miles
7mm MAG Sea Level - 3.5 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 5.25 Miles
30-30 Sea Level - 2 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 2.5 Miles
30-06 Sea Level - 3.25 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 4.5 Miles
300 SAV Sea Level - 2.5 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 3.5 Miles
300 H&H Sea Level - 2.5 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 3.5 Miles
308 Sea Level - 2.3 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 3.3 Miles
338 Sea Level - 3 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 4 Miles
35 REM Sea Level - 1.5 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 2 Miles
45-70 Sea Level - 1.75 Miles, 12,000 Ft - 2.25 Miles

All Distances are approximate using conventional ammunition.

Some more info - 

.22 Long Rifle (40 gr RN)
Muzzle Velocity 1255 ft/s
Maximum Range 2000 yard, 1.14 mile
Impact Velocity 300 ft/s

.223 Remington (55 gr SP BT)
Muzzle Velocity 3240 ft/s
Maximum Range 3875 yard, 2.20 mile
Impact Velocity 545 ft/s

30-06 Springfield (180 gr SP BT)
Muzzle Velocity 2700 ft/s
Maximum Range 5675 yard, 3.22 mile
Impact Velocity 800 ft/s

9mm Luger (Parabellum) (124 gr RN)
Muzzle Velocity 1120 ft/s
Maximum Range 2400 yard, 1.36 mile
Impact Velocity 350 ft/s

45 ACP (230 gr RN)
Muzzle Velocity 850 ft/s
Maximum Range 1800 yard, 1.02 mile
Maximum Range, Impact Velocity 330 ft/s

44 Magnum (240 gr FP)
Muzzle Velocity 1760 ft/s
Maximum Range 2500 yard, 1.42 mile
Impact Velocity 350 ft/s

• Like 1

Our first inclination is to "shoot the damn thing down" but for all of us city/suburban dwellers that's just not a good or legal idea.

I imagine every city has a firearms code within city limits. A while back I was telling LEO son that I was plinking in my backyard with a pellet gun, a damn good one with a fair amount of pop. He looked at me and said "you can't do that in the city, its  against the law".  He said when neighbors see you it looks like you're shooting a real gun, then they call the cops, I show up with a disturbance call of a man in his back yard with a gun. I walk around and see you with a "gun" in your hand and from then on it can become very dicey.