Klipsch rp160ms, will the 250c do?

bradymartin

I have a similar question. Going to move from an all Polk setup to the RP line. Will be going with rp-160m for fronts, RP-240s for surrounds, RP-140sa x 4 for Atmos. Have dual SVS pc12+ subs. Room is sizesble at 15x24. My current center has dual 6.5" woofers.  MLP is about 14ft from center channel. I typically listen well below reference but want the ability to play loud just in case. Having trouble deciding on center channel. Ideally would go for the 450c but it would be rather overbearing aesthetically in our living room. So thinking of 250c vs 440c and don't know what would be a better fit.  What would be the pros and cons of dual 5.25" vs quad 4"?  The low end is essentially identical (60hz vs 59hz). Haven't entirely ruled out 450c either just seems a little unnecessary for my needs and is huge. My primary goal is crisp/clear vocals/dialogue even at low volumes.  Thanks. 

19 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

250c is great.  450c if you have a very deep room which you dont.

not sure how so many people who never heard a 250c think they arent excellent

So what about the 440c?  Would a wider center with quad drivers potentially be better for multiple seating positions in our L shaped sofa?  Any downsides to the 440c compared with the 250c?  I do have a long room at 25ft and 15ft wide but no seating position is further than about 14-15 ft.

My room is 30 feet deep the rp250c does great.    Ibdont think you need it.  I would get the 250 or 450.  Multiple smaller drivers is not better.  The key is having a woofer on each side....how many does not much matter.  If you had a massive room the 450c might be of benefit imo but wont do much in your situation.    All that will happen is the 450c would be calibrated down to match your rp160ms sensitivity.

• Like 1

very long large room would benefit as the sensitivity is higher and center position is well set anyway.  In a smaller room the tighter design will better anchor where the center is imo.    In a far left right seat the smaller center position will be better imo.  I.e. sound is pinpointed to the middle better in your situation.  

Wound up just ordering the RP-450c.  Got a very good price so figured what the heck.  Hoping to keep these a long time and will always wonder if I should have gone with the better center.  We'll see what my wife says when I get it.  If it goes back it's to avoid divorce.  It's actually 1 inch lower than my current Polk center but 6" wider.  The Polk does taper towards the back though.  I'm hoping that since visually from the front it will appear shorter she won't complain.  Would love to keep the grill off since those drivers are so pretty but I fear my 4yo twins fingers will find their way into it.  Also doing RP-160Ms for L/R, RP-150Ms for surrounds and RP-140SA x 4 for Atmos that will be replacing my current Polk RTiA/CSiA setup.  Have a Denon x4300H to to power it all and dual SVS PC12+ subs.  Can't wait to get it set up.

On 6/17/2017 at 1:38 PM, Cidrack said:

My sofa is 3 meters and the distance of Tv to sofa is 3.20m. What is most advantage for the central? 450C or 250C?

This setup imo is right for a RP250C or similar.  A wider center works better with a narrower deeper room (imo) or in a very large room.

It's mostly a distance and setup issue.  At a close distance of 10 feet, you can tell exactly where the center is, from any seat.

If the center is wide and you sit close, the center comes more from an area than from a specific point.

As you move back further, to 20 or even 30 feet, that pinpoint location no longer applies, you can't tell exactly where the center of the center is from that distance.

So in a long room it has higher sensitivity and where exactly is the middle of the center no longer applies as an issue really, it's coming from the center area in that situation.

So how much of a difference? Not huge, not so much that you or the original poster would be upset with a 450c.  But in asking, I am simply replying with what I have learned from reading, discussing, and hearing on my own the differences between them.  I currently own an RP250C so I know it well, and sit at sometimes 10 feet and sometimes 20 feet depending upon where in the room I'm at.  It works very well in that situation.  

Buying bigger and more capable usually does not come with a downside -- except cost and space.   

There is a difference in design here, and it becomes more relevant the closer you sit.  

• Like 1