RP-240s or RP-150m for surrounds

cardsdoc

Moving to an all Klipsch atmos setup 5.1.4.  160m fronts, haven't decided which center, 140sa x 4 for atmos.  My surround placement is limited and a little suboptimal but will be in rear corners stand mounted.  It's  ~ 7 feet behind MLP but also off to sides so somewhere in between where rears and side surrounds should be but closer to rears.  What would be better in a corner like that for surrounds in an atmos setup, RP-150m or RP-240s.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I prefer the surround type speakers.  Both will work but, the surround type speaker looks better and more natural on the wall IMHO.  They can be mounted flush using the keyhole bracket.

Thanks.  They won't be wall mounted.  They will be stand mounted and placed in the corners.  The fact that i can get the 150m in cherry is actually nice for the room aesthetics.  I'm just wondering in a corner plus moving to atmos which depends a little more on accurate sound placement of objects if the more directional bookshelf would be better.  If I wasn't doing atmos I agree I think the wider dispersion would be better especially since it's not an ideal location for what should be side surrounds.

Here is a view from near MLP looking towards rear.  The chosen surrounds would be stand mounted at about ear height in the corners where the wall mounted speakers are.  Those wall mounted speakers (current surrounds) will be replaced with 140sa for rear heights and raised as much as possible.  I can't do true side surrounds in this room.  I actually also just spoke with Klipsch support and the recommendation was the rp-150m.  He though because of how far behind MLP those corners are the dispersion would be too great.  That's what I'm leaning towards.  Other pros of that are cherry finish, cheaper, and would work ok with multi-channel music if I ever chose to listen that way.

lr rear.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I wound up going with the RP-150M as surrounds.  See pic.   My room (and wife) won't work well for true side surrounds so this placement is the best I can do even though they are really more in a rear surround position. I'm still wondering if I made the right choice.  Again Klipsch support advised I go with the monopoles due to how far the speakers are from MLP but questioning that reasoning.  Wondering if bipoles would fill in some of the sound effect I should be getting with sides.  On the flip side monopoles may allow for more precise object placement with atmos content.  Any more thoughts?  If I stick with the monopoles should  I keep them toed in as they are towards MLP?  Would facing forward work better?  I will say that overall the system sounds great.  Still an enveloping sound especially with Atmos demos but I'm guessing some surround effect are a little misplaced in the sound field this way.  With the cherry finish option the 150Ms do look nicer than I imagine the RP-240s would stand mounted.

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG