Carrie Fisher died of Sleep Apnea

wvu80

LOS ANGELES — Carrie Fisher died from sleep apnea and a combination of other factors, but investigators haven’t been able to pinpoint an exact cause, coroner’s officials said Friday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2017/06/17/carrie-fisher-causeof-death/405672001/

I have sleep apnea.  My brother died of sleep apnea and heart attack at age 50.  I'm guessing some other Forum members have it too, both diagnosed, and un-diagnosed.  I have a Cpap machine and can get 8 hours of continuous sleep, which is a miracle to me.

Anybody else?

yes -- been tested, given a machine. used it once.  at the sleep study place, with the cpap, dr. said i slept 45 minutes.

the one time i used it at home, i had an asthma attack--related to machine or unrelated, i don’t know; but i never used it again. this was all about eight years ago.

On 6/17/2017 at 11:36 AM, BigStewMan said:

yes -- been tested, given a machine. used it once.  at the sleep study place, with the cpap, dr. said i slept 45 minutes.

the one time i used it at home, i had an asthma attack--related to machine or unrelated, i don’t know; but i never used it again. this was all about eight years ago.

I don't mean to be overly personal, but are you OK?  Sleep apnea can be devastating and you are currently not being treated. 

Untreated you can have lethargy, dull thinking, daytime naps, high blood pressure, heart disease, weight gain.  I had all that.  If you are still having the loud snoring as most of us do when untreated, you might consider giving the machine another try.  Mine gave me my life back.

I can suggest a mask that might help.  They have really developed some good technology and materials in the last eight years and finding a mask that fits you makes more difference than the cpap machine IMO.

I have problems with it but don't know what to do about it.  My back is so jacked up from scoliosis that I can't sleep on my back.  I have a deviated septum too so my nose stops up easily at night especially when the humidifier on a cpap machine is on.  So if you can't breathe through your nose well and have to fall asleep on your stomach, what are you supposed to do?  I haven't figured it out yet.  I'm not against a machine but every time I try one I either stare at the back of my eyelids for half the night or conk out only to wake up gasping for air and trying to rip the mask off.  

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I have problems with it but don't know what to do about it.

Have you had a sleep study yet?  You need a professional opinion about the concerns you have.  There is a mask that covers the nose and mouth if you can't breath through your nose.

I had a second study and got a new cpap machine.  It has a humidifier and a heated hose.  The warm air might help you breath better.

The new mask (Wisp) I got I had never seen before a few weeks ago.  It is much smaller than my previous one and you can sleep on your stomach as the mask works well with the head turned sideways towards the pillow.  It's very comfortable. 

If you call Drew at cpap-supply you get great advice and the prices over the phone are MUCH better than they are allowed to advertise.

http://www.cpap-supply.com/Wisp-Nasal-Mask-p/1094050.htm

1094050-9T.jpg?1415960085

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I don't mean to be overly personal, but are you OK?  Sleep apnea can be devastating and you are currently not being treated. 

Untreated you can have lethargy, dull thinking, daytime naps, high blood pressure, heart disease, weight gain.  I had all that.  If you are still having the loud snoring as most of us do when untreated, you might consider giving the machine another try.  Mine gave me my life back.

i think i’m doing okay Dave. once upon a time, i would wake up shortly after dozing off and i’d gasp for air. That rarely happens anymore. 

The most i’ve weighed has been 234; but, a few years ago, i got down to 173--a lot of issues resolved then. As of yesterday, I’m 208--with intent of getting back down.  Stomach doctor once told me that my max is 185. I laughed thinking there was no way i could get that low; but, i went down to 173. Doctor said he was proud of me (strangely one of the few times in my life that i’ve heard that). After losing that weight, family members thought i was ill.  The first time seeing my sister in a year, she didn’t even say hi -- she said, “what’s wrong?” My brother told me recently that the family kept asking him what was wrong with me. 

I’m glad that you got such good results. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Trogdor420 said:

Let's not forget, Carrie Fisher suffered a massive heart attack days before she died. Blaming it all on apnea is a stretch.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Have not read any reports about a heart attack days before the flight. She fell unconscious during the flight. The coroner has ruled sleep apnea and other, undetermined causes. She also had drugs in her system, and fatty buildup in her arteries. 

FWIW, I was a serious snorer, according to my wife, before losing 50 lbs, and stopping drinking. Now, no more snoring. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, svberger said:

Have not read any reports about a heart attack days before the flight. She fell unconscious during the flight. The coroner has ruled sleep apnea and other, undetermined causes.

She also had drugs in her system, and fatty buildup in her arteries. 

FWIW, I was a serious snorer, according to my wife, before losing 50 lbs, and stopping drinking. Now, no more snoring. 

Glad you got your weight under control.  Sleep apnea scares me to death, literally.

+++

I know I steered the thread towards sleep apnea but there were substantial drugs in her system as well.  Just saw this:

Carrie Fisher had cocaine, methadone, heroin and ecstasy in her system when she died in December, according to an autopsy report released Monday.

According to the report, Fisher may have ingested the cocaine as early as three days before the flight, adding to the uncertainty about the cause of death. The report also notes a likely exposure to heroin, which could have suppressed her breathing as she went into cardiac arrest.

In addition to the illegal drugs, Fisher was also taking Prozac, Abilify and Lamictal under prescription. She was also taking oxycodone without a prescription.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/carrie-fisher-autopsy-cocaine-heroin-ecstasy-1202470282/