fastrac cornwall

edmjm

has anyone replaced their k400 horn with one of these? how do they sound? how big of an improvement? $560 us seems pretty steep especially when I can't find any reviews or opinions with google search. 

my other option is to use the jbl 2342 butt cheek horns (threaded) with the k77 drivers. lots of posts on those & all positive

ya my google search turned up the same as your link but like I stated in my original post there seems to be no actual reviews on the fastrac vs original horn.

a couple of people on a message board saying they think it sounds better isn't going to make me pull out the master card especially when shipping & exchange rate will bring them over $800

Much more open sound!  I dropped the squawker another 3db for it to sound right to my ears.  Get an ALK cornscala-wall universal which is adjustable or do the modification on your crossover.   I'm no judge if it is worth it to you but it is not a small improvement in my opinion.  There are tons of comments on the forum about this... I've been a broken record myself.   Dave used to offer discounts to forum members so that might help.  More information about your model of cornwalls  and crossover might illicit more directed comments.  The Cornwall didn't come with the k400 horn so are you saying you swapped it for a 400?  

10 hours ago, edmjm said:

ya my google search turned up the same as your link but like I stated in my original post there seems to be no actual reviews on the fastrac vs original horn.

a couple of people on a message board saying they think it sounds better isn't going to make me pull out the master card especially when shipping & exchange rate will bring them over $800

Well, if your looking for a review from a big audio publication, I don't think that's going to happen. 

Add-on gadgets or room treatments? Sure, those reviews can be found all over. But a review that involves cutting the cabinets of your speakers? I doubt it seriously.

I have the verticals as well... I installed new binding posts for inputs and used the original terminals to connect the mid driver for the Fastrac sitting on top of the cabinet.  I didn't like the La scala Fastracs as much as the Cornwall version.  I use the Eliptracs with the La Scala's in the same way as I set the Cornwalls.  Good stuff!

my original want was the eliptrac but I emailed Dan & he said it won't fit in a stock cornwall cabinet with k77 driver & adapter (it would fit with a different driver but I want to keep the original drivers)

ok the long story... my buddy has a pair of lascalla's, cornwalls, pro audio cervin vega cornwall clones & almost enough parts & pieces to build a pair of cornscallas. now he just got a lead on his dream pair of khorns so he's going to sell me his cornwalls. they are all original 1977's black, solid cabinets but paint is looking rough & no grills.

my plans are pull out all components & take cabinets to our local guy & have them sanded & refinished, extra bracing installed & a new motorboard cut so I can still have all the original parts. I'm leaning towards the fastrac cornwall (to be different from my buddy who is going to use jbl butt cheek mid & baby butt cheek tweets in his  cornscalla's)

I'll get new diaphragms & gaskets from Bob Crites for k77's, talked with the guy at ALK & leaning towards the csw 450 crossovers. extra goodies will be insulation in cabinet, duelund silver oil in cotton wiring & probably cardas binding posts.

that's why I'm looking for people who actually have the fastrac cornwall horns cause they'll be able to tell me how good or great of an improvement they make over the stock horns which imo aren't that good at all.

I don't use gaskets on Fastrac lascalas.  They cut off the driver and adaptor throat which is actually pretty accurate to the size of the K55 driver's mouth.  If you look at a K400 the throat is significantly smaller than the mouth of a K55 driver and you can get away with a gasket.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edmjm said:

... leaning towards the csw 450 crossovers. extra goodies will be insulation in cabinet, duelund silver oil in cotton wiring & probably cardas binding posts.

This is painful to read. 

oh ya, just to clarify I'd never pay full retail for that kind of stuff. I get all kinds of eflyers from a bunch of distributors & suppliers & jump on clerance sales & close out offers. I've seen that stuff on sale 50-75% off retail before so why not.

from what you all are saying I feel confident that the fastrac is a quality horn that is a big step up from the stock horns & alot of people saying he's a great guy to deal with so I guess that's what I'll go with when the time comes