? on breaking in RS and RF 3 II's

str86diesel

What is the recommended break in period for the RS and RF3's and for how long? Also, how do you guys recommend breaking these things in? There are tons of different stories on how to break in autombiles which is why I ask. Some people say drive the vehicle hard..some say take it easy for a first few hundred miles. What do you recommend?

I just purchased the RS and RF 3's along with a Denon 2802 receiver and Definitive Technology PF15L+ Sub. Boy does this setup really bring my house alive.

Thanks

Kev

diesel, I too have the RF-3II's and Denon 2802. I read all over too break them in for 60+ hours. When I asked on this forum they told me 10 minutes. So yes times will very depending who you ask. I did ten minutes because the people on this site told me that a tweeter moves (this is just a number don't quote me)like 51,000,000 times in a minute, so after 10 minutes it should have moved 510,000,000 times. After that its broke in. I listened to whatever music I felt like at the time. Thats what convinced me. I how ever didn't crank it, -10 volume on the receiver until like half an hour or and hour of listening time. Have fun and warn the neighbors.

------------------

27" 3 line digital comb filter JVC TV

Denon AVR-2802 Receiver

Denon CDM-270 CD Player

Aiwa DVD Player (sucks)

Klipsch RF3-II's Fronts

Klipsch RC3-II Center

Infinity HPS-250 Subwoofer

Yamaha ??? surrounds

69"X76" Hand made oak entertainment center.

personally, i like to take brand new speakers and crank them to the point i think i'll blow them just to see what they can handle...and if they break there's always those cool warranties Wink.gif as far as breaking in, it's more of getting the listener acquainted with the new sounds. once i get a feel for the range of the speakers, i then tone it down to normal levels and start a never ending process to get everything where i never have to touch it again.

now that i think about it...i do the same with my car 8D

------------------

-if it's not broken, fix it anyway-

In My Situation, I had to crank My Ol' Pioneer about 50% to get them to normal listening levels for the first few days. Just playing music CD's & Running Digital Cable about 6 hours a day ( All the while thinking to Myself I thought Klipsch were supposed to be all that when it comes to efficiency??? What gives??)

On the fifth day I went out and picked up a few new Dvd's & Cd's including Busta Rhymes "Genesis". I powered My rig up, popped in the Busta cd and before the first beat or anything dropped I proceeded to crank it alittle. BOOoooom!!!! (Picture the logo of the guy in the chair with his Neck Tie flying backwards, think its Memorex) Anyway, this was Me. I had My Wife and 3 year old both yellin' at Me to "Cut That Down"! (Yeah Baby, now that's what I'm talking aboutcwm32.gifcwm32.gif). It was completely nite and day. I only had to crank to 10% to get to those same levels, depending on the source material of course.

I have no experience with S3's yet. But, I would imagine with some of that "5 channel stereo" going on.

It shouldn't be that long at all.

Happy Listening,

J

------------------

Pioneer 906s A\V Rec.

Pioneer Cld-d580 Laser Disc Player

Parasound P\Hp - 850 Preamp

Rotel RB 976 Amp 3x150 watts for front 3 speakers.

Cambridge Audio 500SE

Awia XD-DV370 (MP3) dvd

Klipsch RF-3II Fronts

Klipsch RC-3II Center

JBL N-26 Rears

Paradigm Mini's low\lvl jam sessions and bar-BQ's

If you are going to use your speakers, why would you need an excuse to play them without listening to them? It all seems kind of foolish to me. Even IF there was a break in time, you would blow through it and just enjoy your speakers in the mean time. Is that not common scence? Eventually, you will put thousands of hours on your speakers.

For the 51,000,000 times (thanks for bringing that up!!!). Lets do some math. We will use one CD, or about 60 minuites, to demonstrate. One CD will be about .001% of the life of your speaker.

Tweeter - At an average of, lets say 10,000 Hz. (10 KHz.), in 60 minuites, you would cycle your tweeter a mere 36,000,000 times.

Woofer - In a 2-way system, the woofer will be spending a lot of time around, lets say 750 Hz. average. So, in an hour, that would be 2,700,000 cycles.

Now, go get a new ANYTHING and cycle it a few million times. Get the idea?

Do you really think cycling somthing a 100 billion times is really any different than 100 million times. I don't think so.

Just listen to your ?%*@ speakers and enjoy them!!! They will "break in" in due time, so just chill and listen to them!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org