Kilpsch Heresy HD BR? Has Metal Trim

e-just

Hey Gang

I have read a few post here over the years and I finally decided to join.  This is my first post.

Today I bought a pair of unique Heresy speakers.  The label on the back list them as HD BR and they were made in 1967 according to the woofer.  These speakers have the metal trim that was common on the HIP, but to the best of my knowledge, the HIP came out many years later.  The Heresys came out of a local performance hall and had a few mods such as pole mount adapter on the bottom, handles on the sides, and a 1/4 input on each instead of the factory binding post.  I wonder if the metal trim was a modification of the original owner or if they came that way?

They sound fantastic! $50 well spent

5 minutes ago, e-just said:

Hey Gang

I have read a few post here over the years and I finally decided to join.  This is my first post.

Today I bought a pair of unique Heresy speakers.  The label on the back list them as HD BR and they were made in 1967 according to the woofer.  These speakers have the metal trim that was common on the HIP, but to the best of my knowledge, the HIP came out many years later.  The Heresys came out of a local performance hall and had a few mods such as pole mount adapter on the bottom, handles on the sides, and a 1/4 input on each instead of the factory binding post.  I wonder if the metal trim was a modification of the original owner or if they came that way?

IMG_2659.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, e-just said:

Congrats on getting a Deal right out of the chute!  Twenty-five bucks per speaker!

I love the alum trim and that particular Klipsch badge.  That trim should buff out and look really nice if you want to refresh them a little.

And Welcome to the Klipsch Forum, and the Klipsch club.  :emotion-21::emotion-19::emotion-22:

Please post a pic of the back.  What is the serial number.  It will be on the build tag on the back, and stamped in the edge plys on the back at the top, though you may have to remove some trim to see it.  In 1967, they were H700s.  The attached is a pic of my '67's innards. 

post-2142-1381931063944_thumb.jpg

2 hours ago, John Albright said:

Please post a pic of the back.  What is the serial number.  It will be on the build tag on the back, and stamped in the edge plys on the back at the top, though you may have to remove some trim to see it.  In 1967, they were H700s.  The attached is a pic of my '67's innards. 

IMG_2658.JPG

5 hours ago, John Albright said:

The trim and metal corners were added after purchase.  The Metal corners are not the same as originally used on the Industrial Heresy models...and the linear edge trim can be easily purchased from a quite a number of popular retailers.  The steel corners are the giveaway as to whether it was factory or not.  Besides, Klipsch wasn't making industrial Heresys in 1976...that I can remember...and it was a year so so later before regular production on them really took off...but there were a number of prototypes built in and around 1976 for the industrial Heresy Line.  There were already some Industrial LaScalas, though...and elements of the MCM 1900 system were about to head out of R&D for initial testing purposes.

A number of plant employees had Industrial trim added to HDBR/HDBL Heresys, though. after the industrial trim thing began...and there were a number of different metal corners tried out in the very beginning, before a particular supplier design was approved and contract was let...so...The POSSIBLE UPSIDE is that one of the plant employees MAY have been the original owner whenever an HDBL is found with trim added...there are two ways to possibly verify that:

1. The original owner's name is stamped into the rear edge of (normally) the left side panel (as you are facing the rear of the speaker cabinet, OR the rear edge of the speaker cabinet top panel.  This was popularly done to increase chances of tracking/recovery of stolen speakers back in those days, and when the speakers got to final assembly and were known to be going to an employee, the employee was asked if he/she desired it be done.

2. The label will have stamped on it or on the speaker back panel itself, in RED: "Not For Resale"

If both 1 and 2 above apply to the speakers, then it is pretty-much a "given" that they were originally purchased by a plant employee.