Where to find crossover connection posts

jimjimbo

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Any local hardware store should have that stuff Jim.

That is certainly likely the case, but I really didn't know what to call them, and I hate going into a store and asking....."you know that thing, the thing that does this or that?  You know, the thing?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

That is certainly likely the case, but I really didn't know what to call them, and I hate going into a store and asking....."you know that thing, the thing that does this or that?  You know, the thing?"

The drawers and bins are normally marked for convenience or you can always ask for help. Take some measurements, eyelets or whatever hardware you are looking to pair up with you so you are not driving back and fourth. I always make a list myself.

Personally I would solder all of the connections that were not being attached to the barrier strip. I would also flow solder into the crimp on the connections that were made with to the barrier strip. That's just me though. The small gauge solid strand wire can be tricky at times to make a good connection at the crimps.

• Like 1

On many of those connections, it doesn't look like you have enough room to put a clip/heat sink between your part and your ring tongue. 

I don't understand the point of crimping and soldering, yet stacking the ring tongues together and screwing them down - which will allow air and moisture to creep in (you strive for a gas-less connection, but really won't have a gas-less connection). 

Just random thoughts from the peanut gallery - sorry!  

5 hours ago, Deang said:

On many of those connections, it doesn't look like you have enough room to put a clip/heat sink between your part and your ring tongue. 

I don't understand the point of crimping and soldering, yet stacking the ring tongues together and screwing them down - which will allow air and moisture to creep in (you strive for a gas-less connection, but really won't have a gas-less connection). 

Just random thoughts from the peanut gallery - sorry!  

you use little posts that screw to the board for soldering connections together - what is that part called? I've searched for everything I think they might be called and I can never find anything that matches.

• Like 2

Anyone who was lucky enough to download ALK's network designs back when he posted them all would find the parts list and suppliers for each network design.  Everything from components to the trinkets you are after.  Al used those solder terminal lugs as long as I have used his networks.  I have a bag just like Dean from Mouser.  They are handy to have around.

20 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

That is certainly likely the case, but I really didn't know what to call them, and I hate going into a store and asking....."you know that thing, the thing that does this or that?  You know, the thing?

I can relate to that :)

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

Anyone who was lucky enough to download ALK's network designs back when he posted them all would find the parts list and suppliers for each network design.  Everything from components to the trinkets you are after.  Al used those solder terminal lugs as long as I have used his networks.  I have a bag just like Dean from Mouser.  They are handy to have around.

Al did such a good job with the mechanical connection to those I used mine for over a year before I discovered he forgot the solder on one.  He was embarrassed but it was no big deal at all to me and was a testament to his making a good connection prior to solder.