corns recap or not

mikry

So recently I replaced the caps on a pair of heresy1 from 1983 with sonicaps. Maybe my ears are failing but I didn't notice much if any difference. Still the same shouty speakers and now my fingerprints are all over the crossovers.

I am now thinking about my Cornwall II from 1979. They sound great to my ears right now... so much more enjoyable than the recapped Heresy's in everyway.... but I do understand that capacitors values change over time but unfortunately I don't have a capacitance function on my meter to check how far they have drifted.  I am certainly conflicted.

So I guess I would like to hear from someone that can rationalize not doing them vs. doing them. Should I wait until my enjoyment dimishes or until I hear something is amiss? Or just molest the crossovers for the sake of an upgrade?

I once spoke to a guy that was a serious collector of klipsch and his advice was not to change caps  unless there was failure.

what do you think?

IMG_20170621_080647.jpg

Edited by mikry

If they sound a little dull and distant, like the sound comes from behind them, or they seem just too polite, you should replace the caps.  Klipsch does not sound laid back or polite.  Neither should they sound edgy or shouty, but Heresy Is are definately bright, with a rising response curve.  The woofer runs at about 94 dB, the squawker at 96 and the tweeter at 99 dB/w/m.  They really need to be on the floor, near a wall. 

• Like 1

I should clarify so i don't piss off any heresy lovers... I have room issues.... they seemed shouty to me after recap still, in many different placements including the one I left them in on a hardwood floor in the corner without riser... PS, Im not selling them yet! I will get them to work somehow in the right room.

But back to the Cornwall recap or not question I guess..... I suppose I have no reference to how they are "supposed" to sound... albeit they appear to be the best sounding speaker I own.

Edited by mikry

I'm in the same boat with a pair of 1984 Cornwalls with B-3 networks.  While I'd love to have a beautiful set of Crites or other crossovers, I'm not just sure I need them, as my Cornwalls sound amazing.  Furthermore, I paid $1,000 for the speakers in 2011.  $250 for new crossovers is a 25% bump and I'm afraid that the best case scenario for 'improved' sound won't justify that hit.  P.S. Your crossovers look simple and gorgeous (which I know has little bearing on how they sound).

IMG_5342_sm.jpg

Well, depending on how old you are, there's "age induced hearing loss" to consider - and/or if you've spent most of your life around things like excessively loud music, muscle cars, firearms, etc., ...

It's pretty unusual to not notice a change in the sound after the capacitors have been replaced. 

Alpha 220? Are you using the Nikko Alpha 220 to push your Cornwall's? Classic!

I too have a fantastic sounding pair (moreso now...) of '84 CW's with the B-3 crossover.  They were my FIRST pair of Cornwall's and what a fantastic introduction. They changed my world. I sold pretty much everything else I had, even my Forte ii's - both pairs! 

You don't "need" new crossovers, just new capacitors, and really only the two for the horns... I have not changed mine out yet, but it will happen. Soon.

I put the boards from Bob Crites in my CW II's only because I plan on re-using the re-capped originals in ANOTHER project, and the boards mine came with, as another poster described them, "looked like they were made by Playskool." 

It was day and night with the same speakers. What could best be descibed as "tape hiss" or noise floor became subdued and imaging improved. It was that noticeable. And they too sounded amazing prior to the change.

I had a pair of walnut '79'CW's with the (just plain old) B crossover and the metal K600 horns. The person I bought them from used to DJ with them and he used a Nikko Alpha 220 in his "all Nikko" stack. If I didn't already own enough capable amps I would have bought it too. But compared to the '84 Cornwall's with the B-3 crossover and resin horns, the '79's were soon up for sale. They sold in a day, and the fellow I demo'd them for, and sold them to, already had RF7's. He too was smitten with their sound - go figure. The song that made him grin the most was Wild Cherry's "Play That Funky Music."

To me the '84's were even more "alive!"

New capacitors will take them "back" to the next level.

To the original poster, there is a B-2 crossover for your driver complement that WILL raise your eyebrows! 

Cornwall's are worth the effort.

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

Alpha 220? Are you using the Nikko Alpha 220 to push your Cornwall's? Classic!

Too funny!  You better believe that I've driving those Cornwalls with an original Nikko stack.  I picked up the Alpha 220 as a teenager and it's still running like new 35 years later.

A Nikko stack plus Cornwalls is a match made in heaven.  I still have the Beta 20 and Gamma 20 that I purchased at that time, but have since acquired the Beta 40 and Gamma 40 which are noticeably better components.  I'm fearful of what an Alpha 440 would sound like (220 wpc vs 120 wpc).  I can only turn up the Alpha 220 to about 9:00 with the Cornwalls as they are incredibly efficient.  From what I've read and heard, it would cost a thousand dollars plus to improve upon the Nikko sound.

Maybe I'll send the B-3's out for a Crites recap.  Maybe Mr. Crites would agree to a pre-, in addition to post-, testing of the networks, just to document how far off a 33 year old network can be.

Demoing my system from the 80's for friends, family and acquaintances never gets old.  (Still running a Philips AF-887 turntable, too.)

Photo May 31, 1 27 38 PM-sm.jpg

Photo May 22, 10 07 13 PM-sm.jpg

Photo May 25, 6 54 01 PM-sm.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I know this is a slightly older thread but I have to say I was really happy to see some Nikko love! I've been collecting their components for some time now and have been very happy with an assortment of their equipment!

• Like 1