Should I buy KPT 535 T for LCR?

CaptainMorgan

Hi Klipsch fans hoping to get some help here.

Could the kpt 535 be used in a small room? 

The room is 6m long 4,5m wide and approx 2,2 ceiling height.

Im thinking that it should be ok with 3-4m from speakers to listening position, am I wrong?

I have no idea what these speakers are worth or even what they cost new, is it possible to find a price list somewhere? Or maybe value of the drivers and horns if sold separate. I think I can get all 3 for 3500$. 

It would be allot cheaper to set up a jbl system.. but to many ppl got jbl.

I guess the only way is to go and have a listen to them, it's a 7 hour drive one way.. I would like to be leaving with the speakers :)

I'm pretty sure that these are hard to sell if I don't like them, so any input would be appreciated.

Edited by CaptainMorgan

• Moderators

Welcome

I think I'm confused, is this the KPT 535 T your talking about ? (pic)  Looking for home theater, or you just have the opportunity to buy them and it's 3 speakers ? 

If so , think the room is big enough? If your getting them for that price, I think that's a great deal on those speakers IMO but I really don't know prices, I would skip the JBL's, can't imagine them being better.

If it were me I would probably not use all of that in the room, maby make it a 2 way, I would have to think about all of that.

I don't know what they cost new, hopefully someone could give you a better idea. And some advice.

KPT-535-T.jpg

I haven't bought the speakers yet, but it's the same as dtel posted KPT 535 T, I have 3 of them on hand.

And yes I'm not in the U.S.

i have never heard these speakers, I have heard a few Ht setups with Klipsch RF series, most of them sounded a bit sharp in the top.... that may be from bad setups tho im not sure. I've also heard a 2ch setup with RF7 mk1 and those where really nice.

Kpt 535 t Doesn't have passive crossovers so I was thinking that I might eq them to taste with mini dsp if they are a bit sharp in the top.?

Have any 1 made a passive crossover for this kinda setup? That would be interesting to see.

I have never owned horns before, but most good setups ive heard (2channel) have been horns. So I gues I have to get some :)

Im planning to use them for HT and stereo.

Any reason to go for a 2 way instead of the original setup dtel? I have seen ppl using the 402 horn in 2way.. I don't know mutch about horns, but wouldn't u need a tweeter on top of a 402 to get into 18khz?

Another thing I'm wondering about is the bass drivers, I have 6 jbl 2226 and I love how they sound in the 60- 300hz range.

Can they compare in any way? I tried to google the drivers but can't find mutch about them.

Room dimensions in feet are approx 20 feet long 16 wide 7+ feet ceiling. :P If my math isn't way off that's almost correct :D

Would I be better of going for other drivers and horns?

Sry about my English, didn't pay mutch attention in school :/ 

IMG_0073.PNG

Edited by CaptainMorgan

• Moderators

I think most people used them with an active crossover, there may be the settings somewhere here pinned to the top of, maby in 2 ch?

I would think most people did not use the tweeter on top. But instead used the K69 driver which may be on that tweeter as the driver for the 402.

I wish people would see this, I know some have used this setup before with that bass bin.

I think that's a good price, I would guess the three tweeters and three 402 horns is worth that much and will beat out the JBL's your talking about.

I use the 402 horn with a different bass bin (MWM) with an active crossover, no tweeter. 

They are 80in tall x 40 wide... his room is 18 x 14 x 7ish!  They would barely fit and the tweeter would point 3 feet above ear level....would bounce off ceiling in a bad way.

Im all for him getting a great rig but without testing it driving 7hrs.....no way imo!    Hes also not in USA thats a long drive for you to get them ☺

Thanks for the input.

I ended up with a deal to buy allot more than planned :o 

It will probably be a month or so before I can pick them up :( 

I will be picking up 5x KPT 535-T, 2x crossovers (N2), 2x Peavey vsx 26 and 4x JBL 212-9 :) 

We will do a active vs passive setup when picking them up :D can't wait!

Any advice on amps? 

Sounds like good idea to test out the different setups Zim. :)

Have u tested your setup with active crossovers? What kinda amps are u running on the 535-M?.

Im thinking of DIY something like the Jubilee bass bins for 2 of them to set up in the living room. But the Jubilee doesn't use the same drivers do they? 

For the Ht room idk what to do yet.. If I lay them on the side it will take allot of space that I propably need for subs. 

What subs are u running in your Ht Zim? 

6 hours ago, Zim. said:

Been there..... Not going back!

I think I helped you get rid of your "smaller" set up. Those tiny surrounds you were using that didn't quite cut it (La Scala Industrial Splits) When people ask me about those "huge" speakers and I tell them I bought them from a guy that was using them as surrounds, for some reason, they don't believe me.

On 7/13/2017 at 7:09 PM, derrickdj1 said:

It is possible  to go with smaller setup for that size room.  Now comes the tomatoes, ouch!

What!? :D I could always have a sound bar :P 

Im am not sure what drivers are in the 535's, have there been many changes to the drivers? I'm suddenly worried that I will get old drivers that I will feel the need to change $$$$ :( . Is there a list of the drivers that have been used during the years of production? 

The add for the speakers listed the 2017 mod, but I'm not sure they are...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...