AVR Cooling

fuzzydog

Does anyone here use one of these to keep their AVR cool?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVUWOBX/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5

My new Denon 6300 runs alot hotter than my old Pioneer SC-1323 and i'm worried about it getting too hot in my cabinet.  There's not much airflow in my cabinet with the doors closed and the top of the receiver gets very hot.

• Like 1

That looks like a nice unit. I'd be concerned tho as it exhaust thru the top which might not benefit you in an enclosed cabinet. All of my gear is also in an enclosed cabinet but I opened the back and run a pair of Sherbourn C12 cooling fans that pull heat up and out and exhaust thru the back. They are great fans if you can find them.

• Like 1

I've been using a single AC Infinity fan in a couple systems that are in tight shelves with limited ventilation space above.

One is for my son's Denon AVR. The other is for a Rotel stereo receiver.

Fans are placed on the top of the amp chassis, centered on the heat sink/output transistors, to draw heat up and out.

A single fan does a good job, so a 3 fan unit should keep things cool as a cucumber.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:06 AM, Tasdom said:

That looks like a nice unit. I'd be concerned tho as it exhaust thru the top which might not benefit you in an enclosed cabinet. All of my gear is also in an enclosed cabinet but I opened the back and run a pair of Sherbourn C12 cooling fans that pull heat up and out and exhaust thru the back. They are great fans if you can find them.

I agree. If the cabinet is enclosed then any fan will just circulate hot air and not actually help cool the unit. The best bet is to drill vent or hole in the back of the cab and get an exhaust fan to plug into the switched outlet of your AVR. That and $60 is a lot of money for a fan.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:06 AM, Tasdom said:

They do have several different models available to choose from, some that have rear exhaust fans and no top fans.

The one thing they do not have that would be nice is a 3.5mm trigger to turn the unit ON.

I've run fans in mine for years as I have 4 amps and a processor in one cabinet.  The fans need to be at the top to exhaust the hot air.  There has to be an inlet at the bottom of the cabinet somewhere for the cool air to get in as well.  Some people forget this critical piece of info.  Without an inlet the fans lose their effectiveness.  I use a wall wart plugged into a switched outlet of my pre-pro to automatically turn the 3 fans on whenever it's in use.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John Albright said:

I have one of these pulling hot air out of the top of my pre/pro and blowing to the side.  .

https://www.coolerguys.com/collections/usb-fans/products/titan-dc5v-usb-75x15mm-blower-fan-with-usb-connector-tfd-b7515ll05b

Does your pre pro get that hot? Heck, I had a Pass Aleph J SE Class A "space heater" on top of mine. Now I have a pair of NC400 Hypex Class A Monoblocks and it's much cooler, obviously, but neither one made a difference since hot air rises. Although the Aleph was my Winter Amp. LOL.