AVR Cooling

fuzzydog

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

My D2 gets pretty hot.  When you combine that with the fact that it's sitting on top of 4 amps and in an enclosed rack, cooling fans are a must.

This is why my power amps sit on top. Heat rises, so the pre pro stays cool. Plus, the hottest device, being on top, exposes the greatest surface area to the air. My pre pro has no power amps, just signal, so heat is never a problem beyond the slotted air vents.

Just now, ClaudeJ1 said:

This is why my power amps sit on top. Heat rises, so the pre pro stays cool. Plus, the hottest device, being on top, exposes the greatest surface area to the air. My pre pro has no power amps, just signal, so heat is never a problem beyond the slotted air vents.

The Anthem D2 runs hot all by itself and is convection cooled, that's why it's on top.  The 4 amps have fans in them already.  I've put a small box over the D2's cooling vents and mounted a fan in that as well.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, fuzzydog said:

That fan looks like the solution for warm AVR's and amplifiers. This company's options of top exhaust or rear exhaust models give us some good choices for our different equipment stacks.

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Does your pre pro get that hot? Heck, I had a Pass Aleph J SE Class A "space heater" on top of mine. Now I have a pair of NC400 Hypex Class A Monoblocks and it's much cooler, obviously, but neither one made a difference since hot air rises. Although the Aleph was my Winter Amp. LOL.

It does.  But it is also in a pretty tight space between two shelves.  It will be hot enough that you don't want to leave your hand on it without the fan.  With the fan, it is barely warm. 

This is an interesting discussion since there are many avr's that reproduce music or movies without that problem (excessive heat).  I often wonder what is the fascination with the units.  They are large, inefficient, produce electrolytic wears due to excess heat, am I missing something.  It's like buying an avr for the correction system and then cutting it off or over-riding most of what it was suppose to do?

This kinda reminds me of the guy is wondering what are the best horse shoes for his cart and buggy to go to church when the parking lot is full of cars.  Guys, this is all to much extra IMHO.  Simply buy a cabinet or console that is open.  I am not arguing on good ventilation for the gear.  Most of my gear is class D and I use open consoles and cabinets.

11 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

......................  Simply buy a cabinet or console that is open.  I am not arguing on good ventilation for the gear.  Most of my gear is class D and I use open consoles and cabinets.

Well, .... I did.  Then a lightning strike killed my ACT-3, a second time, and it was unrepairable.  Caught a good deal on my Integra only to find it was much larger and could not vent well.  If I could lower the shelf and did, my 3 power amps would be in a similar shape.  The inaudible fan is a good solution.  It is powered by the Integra and only runs when it is on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Albright said:

Well, .... I did.  Then a lightning strike killed my ACT-3, a second time, and it was unrepairable.  Caught a good deal on my Integra only to find it was much larger and could not vent well.  If I could lower the shelf and did, my 3 power amps would be in a similar shape.  The inaudible fan is a good solution.  It is powered by the Integra and only runs when it is on. 

John it is interesting the Onkyo owns Pioneer and the Onkyo's run hot and the Pioneers run cool.  You would think they would merge the tech from both and have a middle ground.  I use to own a Flagship Onkyo years ago.  It was a great avr,

13 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

This is an interesting discussion since there are many avr's that reproduce music or movies without that problem (excessive heat).  I often wonder what is the fascination with the units.  They are large, inefficient, produce electrolytic wears due to excess heat, am I missing something.  It's like buying an avr for the correction system and then cutting it off or over-riding most of what it was suppose to do?

This kinda reminds me of the guy is wondering what are the best horse shoes for his cart and buggy to go to church when the parking lot is full of cars.  Guys, this is all to much extra IMHO.  Simply buy a cabinet or console that is open.  I am not arguing on good ventilation for the gear.  Most of my gear is class D and I use open consoles and cabinets.

Pretty much this. Class D and Klipsch is an amazing combination. I currently run both my my La Scalas and office KG 5.5s with $20 Lepai amps and the sound is crystal clear. For anyone interested in HT I would use the AVR pre-outs and run a few of these or its big brother:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa150-150w-power-amplifier--300-812

(You can bridge these as mono-blocks as well)

Also, Class D amps wont **** the bed if you speakers dip into 4 or 6 Ohms too like some Class AB amps will.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

John it is interesting the Onkyo owns Pioneer and the Onkyo's run hot and the Pioneers run cool.  You would think they would merge the tech from both and have a middle ground.  I use to own a Flagship Onkyo years ago.  It was a great avr,

I had no idea Onkyo owned Pioneer.  FWIW, mine is not even an AVR, but a pre/pro and it's still hot.

I'm happy to report that the AC Infinity S8 is working just like I hoped.  My AVR is now much cooler after watching a movie.

The unit has four fan speeds.  The lowest two speeds are very quiet.  The highest speed results in some fan noise, but it is not intrusive.  

I have it it running in auto mode which regulates the fan speed automatically based on the temperature.  In this mode, it never went above the lowest fan speed and my AVR became warm but not hot like it used to.

Build quality is also excellent.  The case is well finished and sturdy.  The buttons also feel solid and have positive indents.  The unit came well packaged and with free shipping through Amazon.

My only minor gripe is the styling which would look great on a Marantz, but doesn't quite match my Denon.

Sorry for all the subjective language in my review, but I didn't take any temperature or spl measurements.  This thing just works like it should at a very reasonable cost.  

OK so I picked up an AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 from Amazon, it was delivered last Friday. Nice unit it looks good and works well. It's on top of my XMC-1 and  cools it quite a bit, when in use it runs cooler than it did previously in standby in a fully open rack.  Lots of control as to how it will run and control the fans and 3 LED brightness modes as well as completely OFF no LED. It's very quiet in use. I am very happy with it.

One other nice thing is the AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 can control additional AC Infinity fans that can be mounted to a cabinet. I plan to add an AC Infinity AIRPLATE S3 fan to the side of my rack cabinet which is open back but enclosed sides with a glass door. My equipment has never had any cooling problems but running cooler is a definite plus.

Here's a pic of the AC Infinity AIRCOM T8

AIRCOM_T8.jpg

Here's a pic of the AC Infinity AIRPLATE S3, the AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 will connect to it by USB cable to both power and control it. It has a nice thick brushed aluminum finish.

Available in 80mm and 120mm fan sizes, single, dual and triple fans

AIRPLATE_S3.jpg

• Like 1