A couple recent concerts

boomac

Wife and I drove up to Madison for the Boz Skaggs Concert the other night.  It was fantastic.  Nice venue, (about 1100 people) and easy in and out with no issues.  Boz can still perform and he was supported by 5 excellent musicians.  His lead guitar player, (no spring chicken) had me standing on several occasions.  We thought we might be disappointed because there were no female backup singers, (two on one of his DVDs were fantastic) but his musicians were talented singers as well and it was all good.  Crowd was really into the performance and all in all it was a great night of music.  Would highly recommend.

A few weeks ago we were up there for the Diana Krall Concert.  As a fan, I was really looking forward to it.  My wife; not so much.  Again, nice venue, (same building different room - about 2200 people) but sorry to say I found the performance a bit lacking.  I was looking forward to seeing Peter Erskine on the drums but he wasn't performing.  Drummer just OK, guitar and bass players were very good but for some reason she had a fiddle player in the group.  Though the guy was very good it just didn't fit in with the style of music I was expecting to hear.  The music seemed on the "blue" side and even depressing.  It also seemed like Diana might have been a bit under the weather.  Older subdued crowd was quite laid-back.  Listening to one of her CDs on a good system would seem a better value than the amount of dollars paid out for this performance.

I don’t understand why they don’t offer programs at these concerts.  I’d like to know who the backup musicians are and something about them.  No information on either web-site either.

• Like 1

Took my son to see Metallica in Dallas recently. He loves Metallica and playing guitar so I made him a deal, learn 5 Metallica songs  and the next time they go on tour I'll take you. He learned the whole ride the lightning cd. He upheld is end of the deal and so did I. Great father son time. They sounded as good as they did the last time I seen them in 90 the production was off the chain. Best show I have been to in a long time.

• Like 1