"pop" sound plays through speakers when amp switched-off.

Endo

I've never experienced this before, with any other amps. Don't know if its tube related, or not; but it happens to be a tube amp, so I'm posting this here...

Brought home a used amp. First time I switched-off the power, I heard a "pop" play through both speakers (loud enough to cause concern). After a long pause (during which I did nothing but hesitate, as my hands began to sweat), I powered the amp back up until everything was glowing, then turned gain back to zero, and switched the power off. It happened again, the same as before.

Do I need to be concerned? Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

No problems with my tube amp but, I have a few pro amps that will make the speakers pop upon turning off.  This occurs if the amps are cut off automatically.  Manual cutting the amps off does not cause this problem.  Others have reported using a power strip or console to cut every thing on or off with the annoying pop.  To my knowledge, the pop does not damage the speakers or amp.

• Like 1

^Thank you, everybody, for the helpful info. 

This is a curious little amp. Japanese, single ended with 6MB8 output; each channel has separate gain, separate tone. Inputs for two phonos, tape and tuner. Don't know if tubes are configured triode or pentode (is this discernible?). Externally, the design looks 1960s. Cannot find anything online. The last tech to work on it was Mike Zuccaro, in San Diego. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Endo said:

Don't know if tubes are configured triode or pentode (is this discernible?).

What's the power output? Pentode you will get a few watts, Triode will be maybe 1 watt.

Japanese? I hope it has a bucking transformer in it because it was probably intended to run off 100VAC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Turn the amp on last and off first when powering your components up and down.

Thank you. This works. The pop still happens, but much quieter--not soiling my pants, as before.

1 hour ago, alzinski said:

Japanese? I hope it has a bucking transformer in it because it was probably intended to run off 100VAC.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll be sure to ask about this when I speak with the tech.

I'm wondering if it was imported for sale in this country--or did somebody just bring this one in. I can't find anything about it on the web, like its uncommon here in the U.S.

alot of japaneese gear found its way into the USA via military personnel stationed overseas. most of this gear was made for the us voltage, others had a us/europe voltage switch. alot of the gear had different names or model #'s or colour than what was exported to the US market & because of that there is little to no info on that gear