Optical / Toshlink Question regarding 5.1

tigerwoodKhorns

15 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I have an older 5.1 Pio I use with the computer, ie Youtube.  The toslink only gives me 2.0 but it is a much better sound than with my RCA cables.

How old?  My receiver is from 2000.  I am wondering if the older equipment is programmed for 5.1 through the optical link. 

Got anything laying around (DVD player) that has optical out and media that has 5.1 audio so you can test the input? Only thing I see with your AVR is that optical 5 & 6 are 'special' for 2 channel recording.

Page 46 of manual says DD and DTS available via optical and coaxial.

Most TV optical outputs are only 2 channel.  A few will pass 5.1 though.  Check the digital audio output settings on the TV to determine if there multiple choices, for example "bitstream".

Even if the TV optical is only capable of 2 channel, the benefit of using it is that the audio will be in sync with the video.  If you use the digital audio output from the source (cable box, disc player, etc,) the audio will likely be ahead in time vs. the video due to the TV's video processing lag.  If your AVR has an audio delay/lip sync feature, you can delay the audio to sync with the video.

3 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

How old?  My receiver is from 2000.  I am wondering if the older equipment is programmed for 5.1 through the optical link. 

Pioneer VSX-D514.  No HDMI and it looks like a very early implementation of 5.1.  It was $330 entry level, circa  2001, 2, 3.

OK, thanks for your help.  I put the optical on my DVD player and popped in a 5.1 disc and no surround,  Then I hit a button called "Dolby Surround" and like magic I have surround sound.  Hooked it back on the TV and now I have 5.1.

I have had a bunch of speakers sitting not used for a while because I did not have time to address this. Thanks again. 

OK, I need more info from the experts here. 

I watch youtube and we stream on Amazon.  We rarely if ever watch DVDs or bluerays. 

I use my TV as the source and it is outputting via tosklink to the receiver.  As you said, it will do Dolby Digital and DTS which are each 5.1. 

Looking at the buttons, there are 6.1 and 7.1 options which can be matrix and non-matrix.  I think that this creates the rear surround channels from the 5.1 source. 

I am pretty sure this receiver is going to do all that I would want it to do.  Am I missing something here?  The receiver is 170 wpc x 7 and I really want to keep it.

• Like 1

Thanks.  This is from the second wave of "monster receivers" at the turn of the century.  I guess that they were trying to emulate the big SS receivers of the 70s.  This receiver has great DACs and a huge amp. 

I remember you mentioning the NAD receiver that you have and you feel the same way. 

30 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Thanks.  This is from the second wave of "monster receivers" at the turn of the century.  I guess that they were trying to emulate the big SS receivers of the 70s.  This receiver has great DACs and a huge amp. 

Yes your Denon and the Yamaha RX-Z9 are the two main behemoth AVR's from the early mid 2000's that were "separates like" in performance and both tipped the scales at over 61lbs.  

34 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I remember you mentioning the NAD receiver that you have and you feel the same way. 

My puny little NAD T773 weighs "only" 52.8lbs.;):P

Bill