Parkinson's Disease...Anyone else?

jorjen

On 6/25/2017 at 6:12 AM, willland said:

Sorry to hear that.

My mom who is 87, has been dealing with mild symptoms(shaky left hand) for about 25 years which has resulted in her having to teach herself to write with her right hand.  She is blessed that it has not progressed any further.

Stay as active as you possibly can.

Bill

Thanks Bill. My thoughts and prayers are and will be with you and your Mom. I am glad it has not progressed. My Mom had Parkinson's as well.

On 6/29/2017 at 5:24 AM, Mighty Favog said:

Being told you have something like this is always a kick in the head.

When I was told I have Type I Diabetes, all I wanted to do was run back to the perceived comfort of my past life; friends, home, neighborhood. But the friends weren't there anymore and home wasn't the same. It took years to mentally adjust to where I am now because there were so many other bad things that happened at the same time; no job, evicted from my parents' home, etc.

I work with someone that has slight tremors sometimes and for what we do, that can be bad.

I wish you the best with the Diabetes.

On 6/29/2017 at 11:30 AM, dtel said:

Sorry to hear this and good luck, hopefully it takes so long to progress into more that it is never a serious problem. 

I don't have it but do have other problems that usually come with being old, overweight and out of shape. 

Thanks for the thoughts Eldon. Please tell Christy hello for me as well. She and Travis took the time to help me through something fairly traumatic in my life awhile back which I will never forget.

You two are special folks and I can only hope that we can someday meet.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 0:18 PM, babadono said:

I also am very sorry to hear your news Jordan and like Bruce will pray for you. God Bless you. I do not have it.

Thanks so much my friend! I could not be more pleased that you are healthy.

17 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

sorry to hear this news Jorjen -- i will be praying for you my friend. 

No Parkinsons; but, have a heart rhythm issue, asthma, arthritis in my neck and hip, and four herniated disks--but, i haven’t had as much as a cold in five years. 

totally understand your statement about wanting to run to time past when we didn’t have these health issues. 

Thank you my friend. I am sorry to hear of your troubles and I wish you the best.

Thank You Jordan.  Sometimes it sucks; but, I’ve been blessed far more than I’ve received any bad in life. 

Hopefully you have some supportive people in your life to walk down this road with you, and i hope the road isn’t as rough as feared.

Steve

P.S. Drove through Atwater many a times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jorjen said:

Very sorry to hear that FR. Your Father is no longer with us?

My father passed away over 25 years ago in his early 70s 

Not much could be done in those days about Parkinson's Desease 

He had the condition for over a decade so in his late 50s and progressively got worse 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Full Range said:

My father passed away over 25 years ago in his early 70s 

Not much could be done in those days about Parkinson's Desease 

He had the condition for over a decade so in his late 50s and progressively got worse 

Very sorry to hear that. I lost my Dad on the night of his Sixty-first Birthday in 1981 to a massive heart attack. I was 24. Miss him every day!

• Like 1

Jordan, I guess my job taught me patience. Originally, before I started chemo, the RN asks what seems like 100 questions. She asked me what stresses I had in my life. I paused and responded 'none, none whatsoever". She looked up from the monitor without responding. I told her that when I retired I decided quickly that I would no longer worry about the trivial things that we all worry about.

I wanted to come back here and explain some of the details of the last 8 months of my experience because, as I said, I found it interesting. My oncologist is of Indian descent. I was lucky for him to have taken me in. He has apparently dedicated his life to his job. My office visits lasted anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours. He never rushed. During appointments he would come in the door and say 'I can see that you are doing well'. I asked how he could tell. He said as long as he saw that smile on my face he knew I was OK.  Months in he told me about proposing to his wife. He told her that he could provide her with a comfortable life but that his patients would always come first. She accepted.

One visit he showed me pictures of his just graduated cap/gown clad son. His daughter was hugging the son. I told him that he had some good looking kids, and they were. He said 'but their smart'. My heart dropped for our lazy American kids.

One visit I noticed his shoes. I asked if he was a shoe man, since he always wore nice shoes. He said smiling, these are Ferragamo's but I got them cheap. I have always noticed when others go out of their way to help me. I intend to help him with a pair of shoes soon.

The treatment will break a man's will. I'm crying like a 6 year old kid as I type this. The very last visit to my oncologist he told me the results of the scan. No sign of cancer. He walked over and wrapped his arms around me. He wouldn't let go. It wasn't a 15 second full-body hug but more like 2 minutes. We cried together. He was celebrating my victory with me. Me? I was thankful that I wouldn't have to have anymore treatments. Superman wears his emotions on his sleeve after an experience like this one. Thoughts of how I could avoid further treatments had already began to creep into my head.

I can't believe that I'm sharing this here with my band of brothers. During the ordeal the only person outside immediate family that I spoke to of my experience was my sister-in-law. We get along well and talking about it helped me somewhat. We visited the other day and, among other things, she spoke of laptop problems. It was an antique. I left her home and bought her a new one then delivered it. I never forget when someone helps me. She couldn't believe why I did that. I told her that her happiness was well worth a few bucks to me.

I could go on and on but the gist is that with just a little effort anyone can eliminate stress from their life. A little practice helps to stop an insignificant outburst when something that really doesn't matter happens. Tell yourself that you're happy. In a few months you'll be surprised how it helps. More importantly, your happiness and unhappiness is transmitted to your family. Help them if not yourself.

Me, I'm happy. I dreaded going to work more than to the doctor. I'm busy making my wife happy. She suffered my demanding job right along with me for 44 years.

Jordan, I've been down low. Way low. At the appropriate time a being greater than ourselves will speak to you. The words will be clear and concise and have meaning to you. All doubts will be washed away. Take care of yourself and remain positive.

Best of luck to everyone here. Get happy and stay there.

Keith Sullivan

• Like 4

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

New York?  get a rope...

Yep. Went to the grocery yesterday with the wife and decided to buy some steaks myself instead of the pound-and-a-half T-Bones the wife usually buys. Whew! I cut back on red meat a while back but enjoy a steak every now and again. Saw the multi packs and chose a 4-pack of thin cut NY strips that were about 3/8" or so thick. They averaged about 6 oz. each, perfect for starters. I can't remember the last time I ate a NY strip because I can't remember anything now it seems. The wife cooked one in about 15 minutes after preparing her famous potato salad and some Texas style beans. Damn it was good. I cut it with a fork.

• Like 4

On 6/24/2017 at 6:33 PM, jorjen said:

I was diagnosed with stage one, early onset Parkinson's in October of 2015. First I have shared of this on the Forum.

For the most part my main symptom is resting tremor in the left hand. It has also slightly slowed some of my movements, balance is off just a touch and sometimes I do not swing my arms when I walk and I get a little fatigued in the afternoon. Not too bad yet.

Anyway, I hope this is not the case but does anyone else here have this disease? Would you care to share?

Sorry to hear of this.

Knock off the red BS meat products.

Bison is the staple around here and ONLY from meat markets.

Upgrade your you personal Klipsch system, fk what anyone thinks.

Senior members have been there done that, you are on another plane/level than myself.

Brutal i may speak, but im a Nam vet, i know no other way to speak.

Google is your friend and we are here for Ya........

• Moderators
2 hours ago, T2K said:

Best of luck to everyone here. Get happy and stay there.

Great story, hard to live through, your right about the happy part, it's a big deal more than people realize. 

Glad your doing better, but I know it changed you. Stay happy

You have me beat by over 4 years, 39 in Nov for us. 

2 hours ago, T2K said:

I'm busy making my wife happy. She suffered my demanding job right along with me for 44 years.

I myself have had cancer of the prostate diagnosed in Nov 2010 and was operated on Feb 2011 

( Big backstory to this as we had natural disasters in the form of floods to contend with as well, search Brisbane floods 2011)

My wife wanted me to be secretive about it but I went the other way and told all the people that needed to know 

Funny thing is I felt normal and my wife forced me to get a regular checkup at the local GP 

That checkup was the one that diagnosed the cancer 

At first and due to my overly good health we assumed it was at the start of the cancer cycle 

However further tests revealed that on a scale of 1 to 10 the severity was 9

Hence the need to operate quick smart 

I let the wife worry about me while I concentrated on my fight that I knew I was going to win 

Anyway long story short - This is my method of combat against it 

Don't give in to the bastard organism called cancer 

Use your imagination and call it out on every occasion - I have said on hundreds of occasions to it that you are harmful to me and you won't win - friends don't harm each other - and I gave it a name - the bastard 

I would also imagine that we are at war ( big Star Trek fan ) and I would always come out on top using any form of weapon my imagination can invent 

Great to see it dead over and over again 

Now I am in full remission and talking about it with you now 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, dtel said:

Glad your doing better, but I know it changed you.

Thanks dtel. I'm pretty flat. When I turned 16 I asked my Dad if we were going to buy me a car to drive my brother and myself to school. He said if you can get that Chevrolet on the driveway running you can drive that. Otherwise you can walk. I got it running alright. Three years later it as stolen. I never asked him for anything again. Kind of independent.

I'm happy. I spread it around. My cardiologist used to come in to the waiting room with a gloomy look. I massaged his sense of humor for a couple of years before he started coming in smiling. He usually enters saying 'let me have it' or something like that. He got to asking what we did for relaxation. I told him that we enjoyed the most basic form of relaxation. Go to the beach and lay around hydrating with cool beverages until we were ready to have some seafood. Visit historical sites, etc. Repeat. After I served up the details he said I need to go with y'all some time. Come on and go with us when you can. He asked if he had ever given me his personal cell number. He gave me the number. The guy probably saved my life.

Happiness is contagious. Infect someone today.

Keith

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, T2K said:

Happiness is contagious. Infect someone today.

Exactly, why not.

You should add that to the bottom of your post, if you don't I might steal it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/24/2017 at 8:33 PM, jorjen said:

I was diagnosed with stage one, early onset Parkinson's in October of 2015. First I have shared of this on the Forum.

For the most part my main symptom is resting tremor in the left hand. It has also slightly slowed some of my movements, balance is off just a touch and sometimes I do not swing my arms when I walk and I get a little fatigued in the afternoon. Not too bad yet.

Anyway, I hope this is not the case but does anyone else here have this disease? Would you care to share?

Very sorry to hear this.  During the many times we have spoken on the phone you have never mentioned it once.  

I hope it stays where it is at.

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

Now I am in full remission and talking about it with you now 

Congratulations Full Range. Cancer strikes 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women. If any one has explained how and why cancer is hard to cure then you know those cells are indeed sneaky little bastards.

Keith