Parkinson's Disease...Anyone else?

jorjen

I was diagnosed with stage one, early onset Parkinson's in October of 2015. First I have shared of this on the Forum.

For the most part my main symptom is resting tremor in the left hand. It has also slightly slowed some of my movements, balance is off just a touch and sometimes I do not swing my arms when I walk and I get a little fatigued in the afternoon. Not too bad yet.

Anyway, I hope this is not the case but does anyone else here have this disease? Would you care to share?

I'm sorry to hear this, J., and so far, all I have is a problem with sciatica in my left leg. Don't know your beliefs, but I will add you to my ever growing prayer list.

Bruce

• Like 8

Sorry to hear that jorjen, you're a good egg. No Parkinson's here, just over weight, with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high triglycerides. Other than that, pretty healthy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Sorry to hear that.

My mom who is 87, has been dealing with mild symptoms(shaky left hand) for about 25 years which has resulted in her having to teach herself to write with her right hand.  She is blessed that it has not progressed any further.

Stay as active as you possibly can.

Bill

• Like 6

Being told you have something like this is always a kick in the head.

When I was told I have Type I Diabetes, all I wanted to do was run back to the perceived comfort of my past life; friends, home, neighborhood. But the friends weren't there anymore and home wasn't the same. It took years to mentally adjust to where I am now because there were so many other bad things that happened at the same time; no job, evicted from my parents' home, etc.

I work with someone that has slight tremors sometimes and for what we do, that can be bad.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Sorry to hear this and good luck, hopefully it takes so long to progress into more that it is never a serious problem. 

I don't have it but do have other problems that usually come with being old, overweight and out of shape. 

• Like 2

sorry to hear this news Jorjen -- i will be praying for you my friend. 

No Parkinsons; but, have a heart rhythm issue, asthma, arthritis in my neck and hip, and four herniated disks--but, i haven’t had as much as a cold in five years. 

totally understand your statement about wanting to run to time past when we didn’t have these health issues. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/24/2017 at 8:44 PM, jimjimbo said:

First of all, for you to share this here is superbly brave, and I applaud you.  And, I hope you stay well for a long time.....

Very true, it's a tough choice to say something or not, but you did what's best. People wishing you well, and praying for you cannot possibly hurt, it can only help. 

• Like 1

I'm not big on sharing my issues but have great sympathy or those that suffer. But, for the first time I will share my experiences.

I'm 64 years old. I worked in Train & Engine Service for a Class I railroad for 36 years and retired. Out of high school I applied for a 2 year course in Radiology at UAB and was one of 30 accepted to a 2 year program after which I could work and advance. I decided not to attend 6 months after graduating high school and was later rejected 6 months after that. Stupid kid. I've always been interested in the human body and wanted to be in medicine of some kind. Maybe this will help you to understand my following remarks.

Over the years my employer cut employees in my craft by 50% which left plenty of work for me and others. I loved the challenge and was too stupid to slow down. The last 6 months that I worked I trained new hires. I wore their a$$es out. One was a defensive lineman for Mississippi State. He played for Cleveland for 2 years and later had 2 one year contracts with other teams (can't remember who). He was 30 and didn't rise to the top so he was looking for permanent employment. Great guy. After 11 hours of all night work he was dragging. I asked if he was tired and he said 'yeah'. I told him that the part of the job that I really liked was when I was down on my knees crawling in the ballast. I told him not to ever let the company think that they were hurting him. I said when you feel like you've been kicked in the nuts just stick out that big chest and say ' may I have another please sir'. Great guy, I hope he succeeded.

One year to the day after retiring I had chest pains while cutting grass. I had been taking blood pressure/cholesterol medicine for several years. Went to cardiologist and had blockage in 2 arteries, 90% and 95%. They wondered why I was alive. Admitted but refused surgery. Hours later the thoracic heart surgeon came in the room and asked why I didn't want to have the bypass immediately. I told him I had plans and could not make it until September 11th. He said 'excellent choice'. He released me. The day after surgery the surgeon and his clipboard came into the room. He asked if I had been up that day. I told him no, the rehab lady did not come by. He said well if you're not going to get out of that bed I'm not going to release you, turning and walking out to the CICU nurses desk. As he was walking out I said doc, if you'll walk with me I'll give you 5 miles right now. He kept walking to the station. I get up, walk out past him making 5 trips back to the end of the corridor, looping the station and back to bed. He walked back in behind his clipboard and said Mr. xxxxx, looks like you get to go home today. I told him that I walked for a living and could walk 15 miles right now in my robe. "This right here ain't shit", I said pointing to the tubes coming out of my chest. He laughed and left the room. Great Surgeon. Great guy. Utmost respect for him.

Six months later, heart attack. Third artery was bypassed during previous surgery (unknown to me) and had to be stinted.

Three years later while stomping around the white quartz in Florida I had a strange feeling, like I couldn't catch my breath. But I could catch my breath. It had happened before. I had a routine visit with my cardiologist 2 weeks after that. Great guy. He asked how I was doing. I told him the problem. He asked what I thought it was. I told him either pneumonia or lung cancer. He scheduled a chest x-ray. It turned out to be option B. Stage 3 Adenocarcinoma. Started Chemo late last November. Finished mid-May. During that period I had 33 radiation treatments utilizing the Varian TrueBeam system.  A month after all treatment I had a scan that showed the 2cm tumor on my lung and the cells in lymph nodes in my chest were gone. No sign of cancer. Go back in September for the next scan.

Having breathing problems again. My oncologist said I had too much radiation. Pulmonary doctor has me on high dosage of steroids, that's why I'm awake right now.

I found experiencing the cancer to be interesting. The experience of it and how my body reacted to the treatment. My oncologist said that I had the strongest body that he had treated. That soon changed.

Since this is so long I'll come back and share my experiences later. The process was interesting. I'll give a hint: It's the absolute lowest feeling you'll ever have in your life, unless you experience it. It's like you're down, down on the ground low. 

jorjen, chin up chest out buddy. Good luck to you.

Keith

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Prayers sent for Jorjen and Keith.  I wish you both the best possible outcomes.

ditto, prayers from here too.

On 6/24/2017 at 8:44 PM, jimjimbo said:

First of all, for you to share this here is superbly brave, and I applaud you.  And, I hope you stay well for a long time.....

and a pat on the back for posting about your state of health.  for me, fortunately, no ongoing medical issues.  but I think many of us are wary about what personal info we post online.  (see - my screen name.  initials only)

props to you for reaching out to the family for info and support.  we stand with you.  good luck to you both - @jorjen & @T2K

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Prayers sent for Jorjen and Keith.  I wish you both the best possible outcomes.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm a realist, none of us are getting out of here alive. I didn't think I was superman but when you physically test your body everyday you learn what you are capable of. I love(d) a good days work, helps you sleep and recharge. Helps your body better fight off health problems. And there's the sense of accomplishment, like the glance back at your car after an all day clean-up, or when you lay down that manicured look on your yard. Our time is limited. Use it wisely.

It's in the genes. You can't beat the genes. Like the 28 year old marathon runner that dropped-dead in the hospital down the hall from my Dad several months back. We can choose to be happy or unhappy. Don't let the trivial BS problems that pop up from time to time ruin your day. I've always felt lucky and blessed. Be happy.

Wife just said my New York strip was ready. Gotta go.

Keith

• Like 3

13 hours ago, T2K said:

I'm not big on sharing my issues but have great sympathy or those that suffer. But, for the first time I will share my experiences.

I'm 64 years old. I worked in Train & Engine Service for a Class I railroad for 36 years and retired. Out of high school I applied for a 2 year course in Radiology at UAB and was one of 30 accepted to a 2 year program after which I could work and advance. I decided not to attend 6 months after graduating high school and was later rejected 6 months after that. Stupid kid. I've always been interested in the human body and wanted to be in medicine of some kind. Maybe this will help you to understand my following remarks.

Over the years my employer cut employees in my craft by 50% which left plenty of work for me and others. I loved the challenge and was too stupid to slow down. The last 6 months that I worked I trained new hires. I wore their a$$es out. One was a defensive lineman for Mississippi State. He played for Cleveland for 2 years and later had 2 one year contracts with other teams (can't remember who). He was 30 and didn't rise to the top so he was looking for permanent employment. Great guy. After 11 hours of all night work he was dragging. I asked if he was tired and he said 'yeah'. I told him that the part of the job that I really liked was when I was down on my knees crawling in the ballast. I told him not to ever let the company think that they were hurting him. I said when you feel like you've been kicked in the nuts just stick out that big chest and say ' may I have another please sir'. Great guy, I hope he succeeded.

One year to the day after retiring I had chest pains while cutting grass. I had been taking blood pressure/cholesterol medicine for several years. Went to cardiologist and had blockage in 2 arteries, 90% and 95%. They wondered why I was alive. Admitted but refused surgery. Hours later the thoracic heart surgeon came in the room and asked why I didn't want to have the bypass immediately. I told him I had plans and could not make it until September 11th. He said 'excellent choice'. He released me. The day after surgery the surgeon and his clipboard came into the room. He asked if I had been up that day. I told him no, the rehab lady did not come by. He said well if you're not going to get out of that bed I'm not going to release you, turning and walking out to the CICU nurses desk. As he was walking out I said doc, if you'll walk with me I'll give you 5 miles right now. He kept walking to the station. I get up, walk out past him making 5 trips back to the end of the corridor, looping the station and back to bed. He walked back in behind his clipboard and said Mr. xxxxx, looks like you get to go home today. I told him that I walked for a living and could walk 15 miles right now in my robe. "This right here ain't shit", I said pointing to the tubes coming out of my chest. He laughed and left the room. Great Surgeon. Great guy. Utmost respect for him.

Six months later, heart attack. Third artery was bypassed during previous surgery (unknown to me) and had to be stinted.

Three years later while stomping around the white quartz in Florida I had a strange feeling, like I couldn't catch my breath. But I could catch my breath. It had happened before. I had a routine visit with my cardiologist 2 weeks after that. Great guy. He asked how I was doing. I told him the problem. He asked what I thought it was. I told him either pneumonia or lung cancer. He scheduled a chest x-ray. It turned out to be option B. Stage 3 Adenocarcinoma. Started Chemo late last November. Finished mid-May. During that period I had 33 radiation treatments utilizing the Varian TrueBeam system.  A month after all treatment I had a scan that showed the 2cm tumor on my lung and the cells in lymph nodes in my chest were gone. No sign of cancer. Go back in September for the next scan.

Having breathing problems again. My oncologist said I had too much radiation. Pulmonary doctor has me on high dosage of steroids, that's why I'm awake right now.

I found experiencing the cancer to be interesting. The experience of it and how my body reacted to the treatment. My oncologist said that I had the strongest body that he had treated. That soon changed.

Since this is so long I'll come back and share my experiences later. The process was interesting. I'll give a hint: It's the absolute lowest feeling you'll ever have in your life, unless you experience it. It's like you're down, down on the ground low. 

jorjen, chin up chest out buddy. Good luck to you.

Keith

Keith, my situation pales in comparison to yours my friend. I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am that you and your loved ones are going through this. I sincerely wish you the best and will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for taking the time for the encouraging words, it does help.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:42 PM, Marvel said:

I'm sorry to hear this, J., and so far, all I have is a problem with sciatica in my left leg. Don't know your beliefs, but I will add you to my ever growing prayer list.

Bruce

Thank you for the kind thoughts Bruce.

I don't know if you remember, but I was here with you many years ago when you were going through some dark times of your own. My heart went out to you then and it still does but for a different reason. That reason being nothing but happiness for you regarding how well things have worked out.

You are a good man and more than deserve the good things that have come your way since those tough times.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2017 at 6:44 PM, jimjimbo said:

Thank you Jim. Much appreciated my friend!

On 6/24/2017 at 9:18 PM, Gilbert said:

Sorry to hear that jorjen, you're a good egg. No Parkinson's here, just over weight, with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high triglycerides. Other than that, pretty healthy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thanks Gilbert, good to hear from you Man.