K-55V midrange

bkwa1959

I have a pair of Klipschorns with the K-55V midrange,can someone tell me what to look for to see if I have the dual plug version.My midrange has the non spring loaded terminals.Serial number on 1 midrange is136899,speakers are from august 1980

16 hours ago, bkwa1959 said:

I have a pair of Klipschorns with the K-55V midrange,can someone tell me what to look for to see if I have the dual plug version.My midrange has the non spring loaded terminals.Serial number on 1 midrange is136899,speakers are from august 1980

Thanks ,my midrange speakers had the solder terminals.I was thinking of upgrading them to the K-55g ,I think I will keep what I have.

• Like 1

I had AA crossovers and replaced them with ALK universal crossovers and DE-120 tweeters,I still have everything and can change them back.I was lucky enough to find my pair within a couple hours drive from me and bought them from the original owner who rarely played them the last 10 years he owned them.He had original invoice and all papperwork inside klipsch envelope.I keep all that inside top hat of both khorns.I love the sound I am getting and I am always trying to make them better.

What city are you in? 

I had ALK Universals, made by Al.  I thought they ran the K-77-M too hot.  With the DE120 on an eliptrac horn, I think they would be nice.  ALKs do have a nice sound. 

I have traded around until I have all solder terminal -Vs, but I have no idea how they sound compared the John Allen's A55. 

On 6/26/2017 at 8:56 AM, pantoramasan said:

Mine are 1982's, consecutive serial numbers and also have the soldered dual plug version. I would keep them original. They sound great!

Hmmm.  I have an '81 La Scala and an '82.  The '82 had a K-55-M and Type AL network, originally.  It's serial number is 29X610. 

Does your squawker horn have a casting ridge 10" back from the mouth? 

I remember the early days of the K77M tweeters.  Early-on, the magnetic-Mud-slurry magnets had a tendency to crack or break easily, and many of them arrived from the manufacturer already cracked and/or chipped....so they were pulled from production (installation of them stopped) until the underlying problem was eventually solved.  Then they went back to using the alnico magnet K77 tweeters, but we were severely short of them in stock, simply because we had used most of them up and not ordered anymore of them while awaiting the arrival of the pallets of K77M tweeters.  And to compound the issue, in the interim, many of the employees started hoarding back many of the remaining Alnico Magnet tweeters for use in "future installation" on speakers they had not yet ordered, or paid for....which, under the circumstances, gave us a MORE severe tweeter shortage in final assembly.  So a "search-and-recover operation" went into effect as department "fore-persons" wandered through the plant trying to retrieve the hoarded alnico Magnet tweeters that had been stashed away by employees.  TOO FUNNY!  "Do you have any of the alnico tweeters?"..."NO"...then they proceeded to check under the workbenches, in tears on the vinyl retaining the plant wall insulation adjacent to workbenches, etc...it got so weird that the employees were almost afraid they would be strip-searched and body-cavity-searched before the "tweeter recovery operation" ended!  Of course, the manufacturer INITIALLY tried to correct the problem by blaming the packing of them, while they attempted to cover their "A" by fixing the "real culprit"...which thankfully happened fairly quickly.  As time went on, most of the "purloined" Alnico K77's eventually were accounted for as employees took them over to have them installed in their new speaker purchases...while they ignored the raised eyebrows from fore-persons who saw them do it!

• Like 1

I live in Sevierville,Tn 45 mins from Knoxville,I have been a big fan of klipsch speakers since the mid 80's.My audiophile friends still give me grief about using klipschorns,then once they listen they change their minds.I have always thought klipschorns would sound great with a transiter radio and only get better as you use better equipment with them.I have a pair of Belles and I made put them upstairs with our living room setup.

My casting ridge is a step in of about 0.030 inch.  Klipsch says it would be a good idea to sand it out.  I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to use a Dremel or die grinder so it doesn't take all week.  marvel used a file and it took him some time, as well. 

When you are done, and have it out, consider wrapping it with at least one layer of Dynamat or rope caulk.  It gives a nice calming of brass, strings and female vocals and the like.  The difference is about on par with changing to quality capacitors and it's a verifiable change (just touch the throat when playing something medium loud). 

21 hours ago, John Albright said:

My casting ridge is a step in of about 0.030 inch.  Klipsch says it would be a good idea to sand it out.  I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to use a Dremel or die grinder so it doesn't take all week.  marvel used a file and it took him some time, as well. 

When you are done, and have it out, consider wrapping it with at least one layer of Dynamat or rope caulk.  It gives a nice calming of brass, strings and female vocals and the like.  The difference is about on par with changing to quality capacitors and it's a verifiable change (just touch the throat when playing something medium loud). 

You can also opt for the "liquid rubber" stuff that people dip handles of screwdrivers and such into, and it is cheaper than all of that rope caulk, and takes much less time...(the big plus is that it doesn't add much weight, either!)...just be sure to keep any of it from getting into the driver mounting end of things or the mouth of the horn...I suggest getting a whitewash paint brush to apply it with.  One can should easily do two K400 horns with some left over.