Cornscala, Altec 19, or Pi4

mr clean

Which one and why, 19s are bringing crazy prices but I've always wanted a pair after hearing them as a teen. Putting together another system with a tube amp and TT.  Would most likely have cabs built and get drivers from GPA if I go Altec. I know this is a klipsch site so be kind:).

I have not listened to a pair but I would suggest that you consider the Crites Cornscala "D". Far better horn than the Altec and I imagine the drivers is at least as good perhaps better also. I used to own A7 with 811B, not a horn I would go back to nor would I ever want a K400. You are on the right track with a large two way.

• The big plus of building your own is you don't have to accept the balance as designed, aka Cornscala or others.  I always consider it a "no can do" to mess with things like crossovers in a Model 19 since their worth in the long run is their originality.

I have heard both the Cornscala and the Model 19s. Skip the Cornscala and go with the Altec. The model A7 that moray mentioned is similar but not the same animal. Even though it has the same horn it does not have the same crossover or drivers. I looked at buying a pair of A7s for the home and GPA told me flat out not to because that is not what they were ever designed for and that I should get the 19s.