What gauge speaker cable for Heresy II ?

Idontknow

Hi, I'm running and NAD integrated amplifier that puts out 50 watts a channel. Not sure if that has any relevance or not. Can I use 16 gauge speaker cable or is there some sort of advantage to using 14 gauge or 12 gauge? Im a rank beginner guys, sorry. Thank you for any advice.

Maximum current available from your amp assuming an 8 ohm Heresy, would be 2.5 amps. That's nothing. 16 gauge wire can handle that with ease and will not present any great resistance over typical speaker lengths. In fact, it's often used in runs up to 100 feet.

• Like 1

I use Monoprice speaker wire 12 awg. with banana plugs (not Monoprice plugs).  Be sure to use Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) and NOT Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA).  CCA is the cheap stuff.

As @derrickdj1 said directly upstream, 16 awg will be just fine.  FYI I consider the 12 awg I use overkill, but that's why we're here, isn't it?  B)

This speaker wire features two conductors made of high purity (greater than 99.95% pure), oxygen-free bare copper. Pure Bare Copper is a superior conductor to the copper clad aluminum (CCA) conductors used in most other inexpensive speaker wire. CCA is only about 68% as conductive as pure bare copper. This additional resistance is added to the impedance of your speakers and can negatively effect the sound.

For the wire to have no audible effect, the total wire resistance should be no more than 5% of the lowest impedance of your speakers. Even speakers rated for a nominal 8-ohms, may dip to as low as 4-ohms at some frequencies, which further reduces the total cable resistance allowed in the wire. Using Pure Bare Copper speaker wire ensures that the total load put on the amplifier remains as close as possible to the impedance curve of your speakers.

For example, a 16AWG 2-conductor Pure Bare Copper speaker wire has a total resistance of 0.803 ohms per 100 feet (both directions must be considered). By comparison, a 16AWG 2-conductor CCA speaker wire has a total resistance of 1.181 ohms per 100 feet. Assuming 4 ohms is the lowest impedance of your speakers, a speaker wire run can be no more 0.2-ohms total. 20 feet of 16AWG Pure Bare Copper would be 0.1606 ohms, well under the 0.2-ohm limit. On the other hand, 20 feet of 16AWG CCA would be 0.2362 ohms, well OVER the 0.2-ohm limit.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

What most everybody else said....be careful about opening the "speaker-wire/cables/connectors/etc. can-o-worms" on this forum...fair warning!  LOL!

Well that would depend if it's SS or tubes..................I'm running away now..........

I just used #14 from monoprice, glorified lamp cord, good enough for my electrons, little punks.