air core ( or any) inductor hook up question.

wheelman

I've heard that there can be a slight advantage for RF rejection with foil caps if you connect the outer foil to the low impedance side of the circuit.  The outer foil gives you some shielding.  In our crossovers it should be towards the input side.  Might not make a "dimes worth of difference" but that is no trouble at all and doesn't cost me a penny.  

I certainly don't know much at all about inductors other than its a way to make a magnet.  If you held an inductor to an oscilliscope probe on one end and ground on the other and compared with it connected opposite ways would you see any difference?  (I'm probably showing my ignorance.. if my question doesn't make sense)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, muel said:

I've heard that there can be a slight advantage for RF rejection with foil caps if you connect the outer foil to the low impedance side of the circuit.  The outer foil gives you some shielding.  In our crossovers it should be towards the input side.  Might not make a "dimes worth of difference" but that is no trouble at all and doesn't cost me a penny.  

I certainly don't know much at all about inductors other than its a way to make a magnet.  If you held an inductor to an oscilliscope probe on one end and ground on the other and compared with it connected opposite ways would you see any difference?  (I'm probably showing my ignorance.. if my question doesn't make sense)

You shouldn't and the main thing to worry about inductors is the proximity to other inductors and other metal objects, particularly if you put the metal object through the center.

• Like 1

Years ago I needed to mount an air-core inductor on a speaker magnet.

I really didn't want to, but space dictated this choice.

I got out my trusty LCR meter (that had ESR), and measured it both ways.

No measurable difference (I would still have not done it if I had a better choice).

Coupling between inductors is something to worry about, if you have the room.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone there is only one inductor in "C" network. I haven't got it out of my speaker, but from what I remember the wires seem like they came with it? I wonder if I can change them out, or if they are under specific layers or foils I may screw up. Its the stock one in the Crites crossover I have. I would like to test different wire to it before trying new inductors. Just to see. Drives me nuts having those two wires different. :)