Yamaha CR-2040 rebuild

muel

Even before using a stain marker on that corner it had almost disappeared after applying the Watco.  The corner is pretty stout after injecting a bit of epoxy behind the veneer... it should hold up well.  I tiny bit of matching putty might be the final touch but it looks pretty good already.  The 600 grit wet sanding left the finish silky smooth!

The CR-2020 is no slouch (a great receiver!) but even unrestored I could tell the 2040 is something extra special!  

If I was looking for return on investment I wouldn't do all this but I like saving a few vintage examples for a future generation.  In the meantime I get to enjoy!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, muel said:

If I was looking for return on investment I wouldn't do all this but I like saving a few vintage examples for a future generation.  In the meantime I get to enjoy!

But will the earbud/ipod generation  ever appreciate faithfully reproduced recorded music?

13 hours ago, babadono said:

But will the earbud/ipod generation  ever appreciate faithfully reproduced recorded music?

From the guy who works on this stuff, I have a massive surge of youngsters bringing me gear to work on. 4 years ago, that was not the case at all. So yes, more and more of them are getting sick of compressed garbage music and crap gear. Just a matter of time, and the industry will have to adapt. Good thing there is a wealth of vintage gear out there to save the day!

• Like 1

I don't know if I'll get through to my kids or not... my whole family is happy to listen to their phone or laptop. With just a couple of clicks on their phone they could be streaming to the home system but they don't bother.  I understand when they shut out the world with headphones sometimes but those phone speakers leave a lot to be desired!  I'd say it is all just background music to them but they know the words and sing along with everything.  Some of those lyrics a guy really doesn't want his daughter singing.

2 hours ago, paul79 said:

From the guy who works on this stuff, I have seen a massive amount of youngsters bringing me gear to work on. 4 years ago, that was not the case at all. So yes, more and more of them are getting sick of compressed garbage music and crap gear. Just a matter of time, and the industry will have to adapt. Good thing there is a wealth of vintage gear out there to save the day!

I truly hope you are correct. The sooner the over compressing and boosting of loudness stops the better.

• 2 weeks later...