Tweed Tolex Wrap

unclefred

Would look way cool on industrial LaScalas for a band PA, especially for a band playing old-time rock, country or R&B. But your place would need shall we say, "unusual" décor for them to fit in your living room. Maybe a pair of Heresys, but a pair of Klipschorns finished like that would be a really, really tough sell for most significant others. (At least it would have been for the ones I've lived with.)

P.S. Technically, I don't think the original Fender Tweed wrap was Tolex, which is made of vinyl.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hsosdrummer said:

Would look way cool on industrial LaScalas for a band PA, especially for a band playing old-time rock, country or R&B. But your place would need shall we say, "unusual" décor for them to fit in your living room. Maybe a pair of Heresys, but a pair of Klipschorns finished like that would be a really, really tough sell for most significant others. (At least it would have been for the ones I've lived with.)

P.S. Technically, I don't think the original Fender Tweed wrap was Tolex, which is made of vinyl.

You are correct on the original tweed amps. I loved my Fender tweeds. The new tolex looks great though. It would be a hard sell with my wife. She just gave me a dirty look. She loves the black finish on the Quartets. 

• 1 month later...

Fender Tweed is actually a heavy cloth, and not a vinyl.  It is very durable and can last many years, although it stains easily and if abused, starts showing random threads unraveling.  In the old days, Fender would cover the tweed with a shellac or lacquer to protect it, and it would turn to a glowing amber color as time went on.  To a vintage amp collector, this is a thing of beauty.  

Here's an example (not mine) of an amp I had back in the 1970's.  Wish I still had it.  Good examples (not necessarily mint), are still worth thousands of dollars today.  d. 

fender-twin_jnfupc.jpg

• Like 1