Headphone Advice Needed

kapsnb01

Hello everyone, been a while since I've been on the forum.  Would appreciate your advice on a purchase that I'm contemplating.

Recently transitioned job roles and will be doing a fair amount of traveling.  I'd like to get a decent pair of noise canceling headphones that will mainly be used alongside my iPhone while I'm in an airport or on an airplane.  In doing research, a lot of the reviews highly recommend (and I feel dirty for saying this...) the Bose QC35 and the Sony MDR 1000X cans.  Both are wireless Bluetooth which I'd likely lean toward simply because of the lack of a dedicated headphone jack on the iPhone.  I've listened to both briefly at the local BB and I'd probably lean a bit toward the Sony's as they were slightly more revealing than the "rhymes with blows." 

So, I'd appreciate advice, real world experiences, etc.  For the use I described, what would you recommend, what sets should I be considering that I haven't listened to yet?  Looking to stay somewhere in that $350-400 range or below. 

As always, thanks for sharing your wisdom...  Brian

I prefer the Bose Quietcomfort QC20i. I use an aftermarket adapter with my iPhone7. Wired sounds better than Bluetooth, so I deal with the wires. I also prefer in-ear for mobile use. The Bose are nearly as comfortable as the Klipsch x12i, which is quite an achievement considering how different they are in their approach and design. 

Appreciate the responses so far.  I've tended to stay away from in-ears because I haven't had a lot of luck with them.  Owned several including a few Klipsch, Senheiser's, and others but never really had a pair that I liked.  So, I guess I've focused mainly on over-ear's for this search hoping that I'd find a good pair that I really like.  I do agree, the in-ear is more convenient for travel due to the size, but just have not had good luck both from a fit and overall comfort perspective (I must have weird ears). 

I recently got the Sony MDR-Z7... I really love it quite a bit. very clean and wide sound, highly detailed.

these have the same 70mm driver of the much more expensive Z1 model but at a fraction of the price. if you shop wisely, you can find a pair for around 300-500 or so... the Z1's, around $2500

33178125865_53431a57f0_k.jpg

On 6/29/2017 at 8:42 PM, Schu said:

I recently got the Sony MDR-Z7... I really love it quite a bit. very clean and wide sound, highly detailed.

these have the same 70mm driver of the much more expensive Z1 model but at a fraction of the price. if you shop wisely, you can find a pair for around 300-500 or so... the Z1's, around $2500

Thanks for the recommendation Schu, I'll have to see if I can find a pair of these to give them a try.  How are they in mitigating background noise (airport, airplane, etc.)?

My bad... I did not see your need for noise isolation. The Sony z7's are open backed but the more expensive z1 is closed back.

I find in ear are the best for isolation imho. I use them all the time in the poker room and my x11 and x20 are perfect for isolation and they are life and comfortable.

29546547432_dd73c5976e_k.jpg

The x11's are still the most comfortable in ear ever created.