Need speaker diagnostic/help in San Diego

dloc13

One of my Chorus IIs has a slight rattle or may be blown. I need some help diagnosing the problem and help opening these babies up to help guide me on what upgrades may be needed. Unfortunately i have no clue what to do on this sort of thing. I am in the San Diego area. I am looking to upgrade but not sure where I should put my money but i know on songs with some bass i hear a quick rattle type sound which makes me think its the front woofer. I bought these Chorus' from a real cool and nice guy on this forum and he told me the tweeters were updated and everything else to his knowledge is stock. Any help is appreciated. i can take a video and post to you tube. Please DM me if you are in the So Cal area and can help a fellow Klipsch fan out. Thanks.

EDIT - The problem has been solved, thank you all for your time and help.

39 minutes ago, dloc13 said:

One of my Chorus IIs has a slight rattle or may be blown. I need some help diagnosing the problem and help opening these babies up to help guide me on what upgrades may be needed. Unfortunately i have no clue what to do on this sort of thing. I am in the San Diego area. I am looking to upgrade but not sure where I should put my money but i know on songs with some bass i hear a quick rattle type sound which makes me think its the front woofer. I bought these Chorus' from a real cool and nice guy on this forum and he told me the tweeters were updated and everything else to his knowledge is stock. Any help is appreciated. i can take a video and post to you tube. Please DM me if you are in the So Cal area and can help a fellow Klipsch fan out. Thanks.

Just a hint, but SOMETIMES, it is one of the wires between the crossover network and the drivers...or the crossover network and the terminals...which has somehow gotten itself CLOSE ENOUGH to an interior side of a cabinet panel and it will make a "rattling" sound during heavy low bass passages as it rapidly vibrates and bumps the panel or whatever...due to the heavy bass...this can also happen with an interior wire close enough to the rear of the woofer or passive radiator cone...due to cone excursion.  Trust me, IT DOES HAPPEN ON OCCASSION...

Thank You All, i will try and open her up and see if i can tighten down the components and isolate the issue. I would still like to see if anyone in my area and can meet to help me improve these bad boys because i absolutely love them (even if the wife doesnt)

7 minutes ago, dloc13 said:

Thank You All, i will try and open her up and see if i can tighten down the components and isolate the issue. I would still like to see if anyone in my area and can meet to help me improve these bad boys because i absolutely love them (even if the wife doesnt)

Before you open them up, check the panels as outlined above.

Sounds more electronic distortion than cabinetry distortion, but it's hard to tell.  Take the front grill off of the suspect speaker, and with four fingers press in lightly on the woofer (not the center dustcap) and listen for any rubbing or scratching sound.  If not, then it's not difficult to pull out the midrange and swap it with the other speaker.  

12 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Sounds more electronic distortion than cabinetry distortion, but it's hard to tell.  Take the front grill off of the suspect speaker, and with four fingers press in lightly on the woofer (not the center dustcap) and listen for any rubbing or scratching sound.  If not, then it's not difficult to pull out the midrange and swap it with the other speaker.  

I just called a local repair shop and he told me to change the speakers around on my Marantz receiver. And that is the issue. Now the other speaker has the same distortion so its not the speakers at all...ill be bringing my Marantz in now for some work....